• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

PTU - Another one bites the dust

Started by SuperPete, November 19, 2019, 10:41:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZSHO

FWIW- For a peace of mind Check for any such water damage..It could of been submerged in water unfortunately! Where was the vehicle purchased/located! Best of luck. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Csbbrah

Once replaced get that motorcraft gear oil out. Amazing how fast it degrades. Changed mine 100 miles after my new PTU was installed and had signs of the oil fading at that point. Heavy black sludge specs forming.

SuperPete

Quote from: Csbbrah on November 19, 2019, 09:50:06 PM
Once replaced get that motorcraft gear oil out. Amazing how fast it degrades. Changed mine 100 miles after my new PTU was installed and had signs of the oil fading at that point. Heavy black sludge specs forming.

Good point, Thank you,
Is there a brake-in for the new PTU?
2014 SHO, GearHead TUNNED /Powered by Matt Robinson
PPE Downpipes, GearHead Intercooler, AirAid Intake
XDI-35 HPFP @ E40,   MSD Coilpacks
MUSTANG DYNO: 426/446
Continental Extreme Contact 06 & Powerstop Z23 all 4 corners

Csbbrah

Quote from: SuperPete on November 20, 2019, 08:30:29 AM
Quote from: Csbbrah on November 19, 2019, 09:50:06 PM

Good point, Thank you,
Is there a brake-in for the new PTU?
I dont believe so. Just note when you change that fluid you are going to have metal shavings on the plug, totally normal and expected.

Sent from my LM-Q610(FGN) using Tapatalk

SuperPete

SuperPete

Quick update.
Car is at the dealer 8AM this morning,

Soo, hoping tomorrow to get my car back before holidays kick in and and PTU in the trunk.
and I really hoping that PTU is actual source of that noice, who knows maybe its transmission, never know, I am pretty sure it's PTU but there is always that chance..

Back to you tomorrow with more updates, fingers crossed :)

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SuperPete

Car is home, PTU replaced and it drives nice,
Old PTU in the garage, I will crack it open tonight or tomorrow, will post pictures here.
LOL Funny story of small world, when I was picking up car from the shop I started talking to a tech and he told me he has SHO also, come to find out he is the guy on the red SHO I keep seeing on the road passing me and I posted here:  https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,10209.0.html

Small world, LOL

Good stuff, I am happy to get my car back again

SHOdded

Awesome sauce, glad it all ended well :D
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SuperPete

Bearing was in phases, see pictures, and boy it smells nasty, garage now is rotten...

PDSHO

Wow! I feel lucky, my cruiser has 164K and have had no problems with PTU. I don't know if it was ever replaced when in service, but I have put over 32K on it and serviced the PTU once. I'd better do it again!

Greg
2013 Taurus Police Interceptor. AWD, Eco-Boost. SOLD
2015 Lincoln Navigator L, 4x4, Eco-Boost.
2016 Taurus Police Interceptor, Eco-Boost
2014 Lincoln MKS Eco-Boost

irondoor19

Quote from: SuperPete on November 27, 2019, 08:09:10 PM
Bearing was in phases, see pictures, and boy it smells nasty, garage now is rotten...

You never quite get over that smell, and if you
bag that thing in plastic bags, it will go away eventually...!

SOO after some thought, i believe the problem started with the ford vent valve

(getting clogged up, then over pressurizing and blowing the hose off) and in turn loosing

a fair amount of the Fluid (and resulting in premature failure) MY OPINION for what its worth.

I recommend that when you do a PTU fluid replacement:

that you check AND or REPLACE the vent valve (from ford) with something like the attached
2010 Lincoln MKS, BONE Stock for Now, 2014 3.7L Police, Drop IN K&N,

avidmotion

Wonder if my pigtail will work as well...
Sp542@.028, windstorm CAI, MSD coils, AO GH TUNE, GH intercooler, All Amsoil, General Gmax-rs summer tires, +PP, PP PADS,EDC rotors, Colinite 476s wax, used PPE DPs, Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete with custom X pipe, Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts|, 3 bar, stock thermostat,  TRACY LEWIS DESIGNED Team RXP, the Original oil separator.