• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

PRIME (First Start) Your ECOBOOST!

Started by ZSHO, November 14, 2019, 07:40:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZSHO

I was curious how many of you actually prime start the ignition for a few seconds until you hear the fuel pump activate in the colder weather months! It makes it a lot easier for the oil to circulate to vital components and ultimately protect your engine from potential wear and tear... TIA. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SM105K

My SHO sometimes sits for as many as 10 days without starting.  Before I start it (I call it my dry start protocol), I press the brake and gas to the floor and push and hold the start button.  This allows the engine to spin with over without starting.  I do this for about 10 seconds and then start my SHO like normal.  This allows the oil pressure to build and get oil into the valve train and other areas.  I also do this after every oil change. 
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

Black Dream

SM that's a great idea!

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

2010 MKS Eco, Airaid, SCT X4, Unleashed, SP542 plugs, 3 bar MAP and current daily.

2006 Pontiac GTO M6, 1 of 101 exactly like her, bone stock, lost to flood 5/19, gone but not forgotten....

SM105K

Plus it is a really funny trick to pull on people when you act like your car won't start.  It makes me laugh honestly.   
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

Gjkrisa

How do you prime the ignition?
I have never done so the oil filter if it's doing it's job is supposed to keep oil in the lines and won't see the oil get slow till -10 -20 depending on brand of oil but think we all are typically using something that does well at -20

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

2016 Taurus SHO pp Shadow Black
diy emblems,jms boost max, FORscan modder

SHOdded

Using ester based oil is a help in preventing dry starts because the polar nature of the ester molecule helps it cling to metal long after engine shutdown.

There is always a 1-2 second delay after startup (minimum) before oil is fully propagated throughout an engine.  Many people have turned to specialized priming systems to prevent dry starts.

An example of a priming system
http://www.varnaproducts.com/EP-4_Pump.php
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SM105K

Quote from: SHOdded on November 14, 2019, 10:48:28 AM
Using ester based oil is a help in preventing dry starts because the polar nature of the ester molecule helps it cling to metal long after engine shutdown.

There is always a 1-2 second delay after startup (minimum) before oil is fully propagated throughout an engine.  Many people have turned to specialized priming systems to prevent dry starts.

On the SHO I use my dry start protocol after a long stretch of non starts of more than five days and after an oil change. 

On my ST, I start it normal because it gets started numerous times everyday. After an oil change, I do my dry start protocol.

SHOdded

Battery must be strong lol.  Make sure the voltage does not drop significantly while the vehicle does not see use.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SM105K

Quote from: SHOdded on November 14, 2019, 12:37:50 PM
Battery must be strong lol.  Make sure the voltage does not drop significantly while the vehicle does not see use.

Battery Tender my good friend.

SHOdded

ZSHO

I think location of the oil filter is vital on how quickly the oil pump can generate flow to critical key components...
I guess many of us on the ecoboost platform are fortunate to have the oil filter at the very bottom of the engine when compared to other auto makers which the oil filter is located at the very Top of engine which takes some time for oil to flow especially on a cold morning startup. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SM105K

Quote from: ZSHO on November 14, 2019, 04:05:36 PM
I think location of the oil filter is vital on how quickly the oil pump can generate flow to critical key components...
I guess many of us on the ecoboost platform are fortunate to have the oil filter at the very bottom of the engine when compared to other auto makers which the oil filter is located at the very Top of engine which takes some time for oil to flow especially on a cold morning startup. Z

I 100% agree. 

SilvererSHO

Quote from: SM105K on November 14, 2019, 08:50:28 AM
My SHO sometimes sits for as many as 10 days without starting.  Before I start it (I call it my dry start protocol), I press the brake and gas to the floor and push and hold the start button.  This allows the engine to spin with over without starting.  I do this for about 10 seconds and then start my SHO like normal.  This allows the oil pressure to build and get oil into the valve train and other areas.  I also do this after every oil change.

I guess I don't understand the logic in doing this???  You're still turning your engine over so what's the difference it it starts right away or your crank it over for 10 seconds?  I would think you're doing more harm than good actually since oil is at least splashing around after it starts.  Not so much when you're cranking at 150-200 rpm.
All Silver(er)SHO.  2012, every option with PP running new Firehawk Indy 500's.

SM105K

Quote from: SilvererSHO on November 20, 2019, 01:44:32 PM
Quote from: SM105K on November 14, 2019, 08:50:28 AM

I guess I don't understand the logic in doing this???  You're still turning your engine over so what's the difference it it starts right away or your crank it over for 10 seconds?  I would think you're doing more harm than good actually since oil is at least splashing around after it starts.  Not so much when you're cranking at 150-200 rpm.

Turning over the engine at 150 to 200 rpm for 10 seconds creates less friction then a normal sat for along time dry start up.  You will still have oil in main caps and rod bearings ect.  I am not worried about the rotating assembly.  I am worried about the valve train.  These engines have long timing chains, hydraulic tensioners, and nylon chain guides.  When I prime the system, I am getting oil to those components. If you don't over prolong use the chains literally eat through guides and start chewing through the tensioners. The chains can also stretch, and then you get the dreaded cold start rattle.  I used to see it all the time in 4.6 and 5.4 Ford mod motors.  This another reason why I always change my oil at 3K miles regardless what the manufacturers say.   

Ask any engine builder and they will tell you, after a prolonged period of non operation they prefer you prime the engine. It is a primary reason why we have the ability to turn the engine over and not start it.     

ZSHO

It will reduce any engine that exhibits a brief premature cold start rattle! Z