• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

First runs with my '17 Fusion Sport

Started by Kalto, October 30, 2019, 10:51:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kalto

A couple weeks ago I made it to the last test and tune of the year at Norwalk.
Wasn't a whole bunch of people there so I was thinking I'd get 4-5 runs, wrong. A bunch
of oil downs, one guy with a fox body Mustang dumped sand all over the track the first 100'
Anyway I only ended up with 2 runs before I called it quits.
Weather was mid 50's with a 15-20 MPH headwind, <- sucked...

Mods
93 octane tune- no revisions
My fan mod switch
Removed the air filter
2 gallons of 108 race gas
Removed spare and jack

First pass I didn't use sport mode but I had the suspension set to sport, it was kinda a shake down pass to get a feel for the car
since it was my first time with it.
I don't have the exact time but it was around 13.40@101
Did NOT brake boost at all, right at a 1.98 60'

Second pass
Cooled down for 1.5 hours, I was towards the back of the staging lane and when I started it up to start moving
the engine temp was well below half, good thing I had 5 minutes to let it warm up.
Kept the fans running to keep the IC cool.
Full sport mode enabled
Traction control off

When the lights started to drop I rolled hard on the gas and released the brake after a second.
1.838 60'
12.941 @ 106.37

I datalogged that run so I still have to check it out but it pulled hard.
Since the tune has no revisions on it and I don't feel I should sent it to Torrie since I had the race gas in the tank.
Car weighed 4220, with me in it, I weigh 195
I may not even mess with the 93 octane tune, I still want to go E30 for next year.

This is my first AWD car, drag racing is actually fun when you don't have to worry about traction, especially coming from the last 15 years
with FWD cars.

SHOdded

Was there a water box?  Did you avoid it?  Second run was pretty solid.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Kalto

There was and I did.
Actually a 1.83 60' is fairly solid, most guys are 1.9's
The issue with these cars now is if you power brake it more than a few seconds the PCM cuts
power, when you release the brake it takes much longer to ramp back up than the method I used.
For me I wasn't concerned with reaction time more so the launch.
I waited for the lights to drop, floored it and after a second released the brake.
I can do better with a little practice.
The last time I raced I was running my SRT-4 so the launching is a little different than I'm used to.

SHOdded

Do you use the parking brake or master brake prelaunch?  Master brake only recommended.  Stock, the SHO launches well at 2200-2400 rpm.  Tuned closer to 1800-2000.  Of course tire pressures play a role in that also, as any intervention is determined by loss of traction.  Seems like the Fusion might be different in that regard ...
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!