• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Grateful for the help I've found already!

Started by Nick 1284, October 19, 2019, 03:45:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick 1284

first, let me say thanks to everyone who's put so much time into sharing information and helping other people. Hopefully one day I'll have a chance to be the guy who has the right information at the right time and can help turn somebody's project or repair around. Until then, I'm here to learn.

I bought a 2014 PIU with 101k on it's 3.5L in July of this year. I was instantly sold on EcoBoosts and as i learned more about them i became more and more of an EcoBoost nut.

My story, however hit a brick wall 2 weeks ago on my way home from work when I decided that I was going to give it some throttle at the last stop sign before my driveway. Seconds later there was a dull pop and power instantly dropped to almost nothing. I pulled in the driveway and could smell oil burning and saw smoke from the front of my hood. My heart sank when i saw that puddle of oil and a steady stream coming from somewhere behind the grill.

Worst fears were confirmed by the nickel-sized hole missing from the block behind where the AC compressor was. The shop I use found a donor engine with only 10k on it and i officially got back on the road Thursday evening. The mechanic somehow missed the distinct whine that i heard pulling out of the lot, and a leak was confirmed with underwhelming performance when i opened it up. I found a crack in the bottom of my front turbo inlet tube right over the boot connecting to the turbo, so as soon as they can get one in I'll hopefully be back 100% once again.

If there's anything about the failure and recovery you think might help you out, I'll do my best to answer whatever questions you've got.

Thanks again for letting me join your party.

-Nick

SHOdded

Welcome, Nick!  I see you have already taken the hard road to life with an Ecoboost :) and lived to tell about it!  Thank you for sharing, and please do put up pics of your ride, and if you have em, pics of the damage/repair work on your PIU.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Nick 1284

Hopefully i attached them correctly, here it is. Michigan State trooper vehicle that somehow has no rust at all.

I've got a couple pics from the damaged block, but they're pretty bad and were more so i could see the hole better from the angle it was at. I'm going to be scabbing a few parts left from the old block just in case they come in handy later, so while I'm at the shop I'll try and get some better views of it.

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

PDSHO

2013 Taurus Police Interceptor. AWD, Eco-Boost. SOLD
2015 Lincoln Navigator L, 4x4, Eco-Boost.
2016 Taurus Police Interceptor, Eco-Boost
2014 Lincoln MKS Eco-Boost