• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Possible blown PTU and or RDU?

Started by Gofspar, October 15, 2019, 02:21:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gofspar

welp I think my RDU or my PTU is starting to give up, if I brake boost to 1800rpm then launch I get a violent shake around peak power at 4k from either behind me or right under me.

Does anyone have documentation on swapping out a PTU?
AJPTurbo E30 3bar rev4, SP-534 .28, MSD coils, reische 170 tstat, ARH Catless DP, resonator delete, magnaflow mufflers, airraid CAI, H&R sport springs, UPR Catchcan /w CCS, SSM "Street" RMM

SM105K

Quote from: Gofspar on October 15, 2019, 02:21:22 PM
welp I think my RDU or my PTU is starting to give up, if I bake boost once I hit around peak power at 4000rpm I get a violent shake from either behind me or right under me.

Is your PTU whining? 

Also, it could be transmission shudder or even wheel hop since you say it happens around peak power.  If you want, I can give you a second opinion because I am local.

The stock trans mounts are garbage as well.
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

Gofspar

Quote from: SM105K on October 15, 2019, 02:27:40 PM
Quote from: Gofspar on October 15, 2019, 02:21:22 PM
welp I think my RDU or my PTU is starting to give up, if I bake boost once I hit around peak power at 4000rpm I get a violent shake from either behind me or right under me.

Is your PTU whining? 

Also, it could be transmission shudder or even wheel hop since you say it happens around peak power.  If you want, I can give you a second opinion because I am local.

The stock trans mounts are garbage as well.

I don't hear any loud whining, before I did the swap to amsoil it had some whine but it went away after that.
It started happening after it was like 55 couple nights ago and I decided to go launch it, think the extra dense air put it on its knees.
Kinda feels like something is skipping a tooth.
As for trans mounts I have trans mounts done, stockers have been gone for couple weeks now.
AJPTurbo E30 3bar rev4, SP-534 .28, MSD coils, reische 170 tstat, ARH Catless DP, resonator delete, magnaflow mufflers, airraid CAI, H&R sport springs, UPR Catchcan /w CCS, SSM "Street" RMM

Gofspar

Also it's extra bad if I go around a corner and apply some heavy throttle. All symptoms began after that hard launch on that cold night.

SM105K

Quote from: Gofspar on October 15, 2019, 02:44:09 PM
Also it's extra bad if I go around a corner and apply some heavy throttle. All symptoms began after that hard launch on that cold night.

Interesting.....I do want to experience this.
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

TopherSho

Ouchie,  unless you have changed the TQ converter 4000rpm is too high of a launch rpm on OEM converter\tranny.  Mine wont even launch @ 3000 rpm,  it disengages,  slips, feels like it looses power,  hits the rev limiter ... re-engages with a loud BAM! and then the tranny goes into some weird mode where the RDU is the only drive pushing the car and the tranny wont select a gear until it reboots.

Also check your tranny fluid level .. many stronger builds here on the forums wont hook up in 1st or on downshift until you add extra fluid above the hash. 

2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

Gofspar

Quote from: TopherSho on October 15, 2019, 10:30:34 PM

Ouchie,  unless you have changed the TQ converter 4000rpm is too high of a launch rpm on OEM converter\tranny.  Mine wont even launch @ 3000 rpm,  it disengages,  slips, feels like it looses power,  hits the rev limiter ... re-engages with a loud BAM! and then the tranny goes into some weird mode where the RDU is the only drive pushing the car and the tranny wont select a gear until it reboots.

Also check your tranny fluid level .. many stronger builds here on the forums wont hook up in 1st or on downshift until you add extra fluid above the hash.

running a quart heavy with Amsoil LVATF, pretty sure its the RDU because the PTU doesn't make any weird noise just cruising around and if I try to give a hard acceleration I hear a THUDTHUDTHUD from the rear and I blow the fronts off
I launch usually around 1800rpm.

this weekend I'll probably pull the fluid from the PTU, RDU and transmission and see which one has metal flakes lol.

Also a note, it still drives completely normal just putting around and carrying my ass to work.

Guess I wont be attending SCT this year, darn..

SHOdded

Looks like too much power to the RDU, may have overpowered the clutch packs, even if for just that instant at launch.  Could have damaged the driveshaft in the process, if you feel vibration in the passenger cabin while driving.  I would check the trans fluid also, a quart additional seems too much, I thought a pint was recommended.

Traction control has a role to play while moving.  If sudden changes in throttle coincide with changes in direction, you can experience momentary power loss.

Most people will not BB higher than 2,500 rpm for a launch, tuned or untuned.  Were you in Neutral when you hit 4,000 rpm? 
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SM105K

I don't think he launched at 4K guys.  He said he launchred and at peak power is when he felt it.

The SHO wont let you launch at anything really over 2800 rpm.  Torque Source kills the car.  Ask me how I know....repeatedly.

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

shoNoff

Remove the rear seat pad. If it's the RDU trust me you will hear it much better with that out. Takes like 5 mins to do. I've been through this myself already. Pretty simple fix for me I just found my local ford dealer and traded it in. Also I agree no way he launched at 4K rpm. Its completely impossible on a stock torque converter.
2013 SHO PP 12.51 @ 110.07 AJP tuned sold
2016 edge sport 13.92 @ 99.4 mph. slow and stock baby mobile

SHOdded

I was thinking of a neutral drop situation lol.

shoNoff

God I remember those days. My poor AOD's lol
2013 SHO PP 12.51 @ 110.07 AJP tuned sold
2016 edge sport 13.92 @ 99.4 mph. slow and stock baby mobile

TopherSho

*whew* reading it left me with a impression of a 4k launch.. that would be horrific.   Since the shafts spin at all times and don't THUMP, and only engage on demand and then thump I agree that the packs are probably shot, mangled etc.   You can get a rdu to your door in 2-3 days and swap it with a good broad Jack and tools.   
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

Gofspar

rephrased some stuff in the OP, I launched at 1800RPM, not 4k.
dont think the converter or torque source will even let you do that lol.

Also I tried to see if It'd do it in any gear other than 1st and it seems to be confined to 1st which isn't a good sign.
Maybe im traveling too fast in 2nd for the RDU to hit the point where it shits out?
I'll do a 2nd roll tonight on my way home and see if the cold air will allow it to do it in 2nd.

Really hope its not a transmission issue.