• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2016 Explorer Sport Downpipes or Borla Catback

Started by 97novi2k, October 06, 2019, 01:17:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

97novi2k

Hello

I am switching from a 2014 SHO to a 2016 Sport. I plan to run the Livernois 93 tune, Intake, 3bar, and tstat since it's no charge to switch over to my new xsport.

I was debating on doing PPE downpipes and Borla Exhaust but I thought I heard somewhere that the sound isn't great and it's better to just do one or the other. According to Livernois the catback will give more power than the downpipes. My question is which one would everyone suggest for performance.

I have emissions but I'm on to return to stock and put 2bar back on when I go since the PPE won't throw codes

Appreciate the help
2014 Non-PP SHO Dark Side Metallic - LMS V10, PPE Downpipes, Windstorm CAI, 160 tstat, colder plugs

hawkeye93

Just to share my experience:

I went the other direction, 2015 XSport to 2015 SHO.  On my XSport, I had PPE catted downpipes, which were great.  I then added the Livernois/Corsa catback, and the result was terrible rasp.  I can't speak to the Borla system, it might be better.  But the PPE/Corsa combination was a bust.  I considered putting in some Vibrant resonators (another poster had done this), but I ended up trading the Explorer for the Taurus, and I sold the catback.

I've found, and I think most here would agree, that there are some real performance gains in the downpipes, catted or not, but the catback exhaust upgrades are pretty much "cosmetic;" they don't offer any real performance improvements, just sound.
2015 Ford Taurus SHO PP 12.219@112.84
PPE catless DP, Gearhead IC, SP-534, Reische 170, 3 bar, hybrid meth system, tunes from Unleashed, Livernois, Brew City Boost & AJP

1965 Ford Mustang Convertible 289 4V/T5Z/3.55
1955 Ford Fairlane Club Sedan 272 4V/Fordomatic

JagerBomb

Just add the DPs. You can hear the turbos a little better. I really don't think cat backs will add anything unless you are getting into some serious engine work done. I don't really care for the way the 3.5TT sounds with a cat back exhaust. It's just a personal preference. I know lots of people friends that change it and love it. The sound is just not for me.
2013 SHO PP - LMS V8 93 Tune, 3 Bar, LMS Catted DP's - SOLD

2015 Explorer Sport - In need of mods.

2010 Jeep SRT8 with a ProCharger and lots of boost!

97novi2k

Thanks for the reply everyone. I figured everyone would say get the DPs so that is what I plan to do. I had them on the SHO and it added a nice little growl and could hear the turbos nicely. I really don't want the car to sound like crap or have a lot of rasp.

Hawkeye I sent you a PM, curious how you liked going from xsport to sho

2014 Non-PP SHO Dark Side Metallic - LMS V10, PPE Downpipes, Windstorm CAI, 160 tstat, colder plugs