• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Not building desired boost pressure

Started by ecoboostsho, September 21, 2019, 02:32:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ecoboostsho

Hey everyone.  Been awhile since I've posted. I'm having an issue with the SHO at the moment.  The car was falling on its face so I did some scanning and it isn't building enough boost...I can't typically get more then 3-6 PSI even at the top of 1st.  I checked the blow off valve seals and the lines that run to the boost controller to make sure they haven't popped off (I've got them clamped actually) and they are all fine with no cracks.  I have EPP hotpipes and looked over all the connections and didn't see anything out of the ordinary.  I've checked all the fluid levels for fun and that is fine.  I don't seem to have any excess oil in the hotpipes so I don't think I have a turbo going?  No weird noises at all to be honest.  No misfires.

The one thing I do see on the scan is that the Waste Gate Duty Cycle (WGDC) is stuck at 0% most of the time.  Once in awhile it will climb and the car definitely feels faster but most of the time it just sits at 0.  I'm not sure if the waste gate is actually physically stuck open or if something else is going on?  I thought I'd ask the experts in here for advice but I will probably be taking it to a dealer.  Car has 75K on it but did get new factory turbos around 30k or so.  TIA!
2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)
Previous 2011 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP - 12.89 1/4 Mile

ZSHO

It could be a faulty [TCBP] Sensor located  on TOP of the intake manifold. Need to inspect and verify its not restricted and free flowing.

Need to double check the lines from that solenoid to the Front to rear actuators for cracks or leaks. 

Do you have an aftermarket intake ?
Did you happen to check for any Codes. 

BTW - Welcome back Dave. Z

[PDF BELOW]

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Q7QaIccnJDxhi-3io3v8wDj8j5llAiip/view?usp=drivesdk

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

ecoboostsho

Quote from: ZSHO on September 21, 2019, 03:07:02 PM
It could be a faulty [TCBP] Sensor located  on TOP of the intake manifold. Need to inspect and verify its not restricted and free flowing.

Need to double check the lines from that solenoid to the Front to rear actuators for cracks or leaks. 

Do you have an aftermarket intake ?
Did you happen to check for any Codes. 

BTW - Welcome back Dave. Z

[PDF BELOW]

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Q7QaIccnJDxhi-3io3v8wDj8j5llAiip/view?usp=drivesdk

Thanks Z. I'll take a closer look at the actual sensor. I just checked all the hoses so far going to it but not all the way down to the wastegates. I do have an aftermarket intake but all appears well there (airaid).

No codes whatsoever yet.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)

ZSHO

I was curious of your BOV are VTA! PIC of the Front & Rear line to waste-gate actuators. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

ecoboostsho

Quote from: ZSHO on September 21, 2019, 03:40:45 PM
R your BOV VTA! PIC of the line to waste-gate actuators. Z

Yes they are VTA

ZSHO

Quote from: ecoboostsho on September 21, 2019, 03:45:03 PM

Yes they are VTA

I doubt it but Silicone or rubber chair caps! I'm hoping its not the other turbo! Z

[PDF ON TURBOS]

https://docs.google.com/document/d/14Bw8eQ1WwidPxJu9sJtqp_v75886pM-dLq0I-R3qmDQ/edit?%3Cbr%20/%3Eusp=sharing#

ecoboostsho

Quote from: ZSHO on September 21, 2019, 04:02:02 PM
Quote from: ecoboostsho on September 21, 2019, 03:45:03 PM

Yes they are VTA

I doubt it but Silicone or rubber chair caps! I'm hoping its not the other turbo! Z

[PDF ON TURBOS]

https://docs.google.com/document/d/14Bw8eQ1WwidPxJu9sJtqp_v75886pM-dLq0I-R3qmDQ/edit?%3Cbr%20/%3Eusp=sharing#
They are silicone caps and I checked them both. Appear okay.

SHOdded

The BOV orange seals do crack and make the BOV fail, so check there.  Rare that the wastegate actuator fails, esp on both turbos at the same time.  No underboost code?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ecoboostsho

Quote from: SHOdded on September 21, 2019, 06:19:22 PM
The BOV orange seals do crack and make the BOV fail, so check there.  Rare that the wastegate actuator fails, esp on both turbos at the same time.  No underboost code?
Thanks for the response! It just popped a code...P0299 ( general under boost). I did return to stock tune, 2 bar just to see, but it's still acting the same.

I did quickly check the BoV's and didn't see any tears but may check again. Only thing is if the BOVs were torn wouldn't the Waste Gate Duty Cycle be really high? What is that actually measuring anyway? Is it a real sensor someplace? The waste gates are pressure actuated correct?  I don't get why it's stuck reading at zero....?

I did a log with the SCT and everything else looks great...just not enough boost measured by the TIP sensor.

Grrrrr....

SHOdded

P0299 is typically a broken wastegate actuator (2.0) or blown seal (3.5), meaning new turbo time.  IDK if only 1 has to be broken to cause the underboost or both.  I don't know enough about the balancing act here to speculate ...  There isn't any individual control over the turbos, just a control over the overall system, that assumes the turbos are working the same and responding the same.  Probably Ford thinks it is enough to point to the probable rather than the exact culprit with the code.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

I know you mentioned installing Hotpipes but are both Front & Rear BOV plugged in? How are the Brakes?  Z 

ecoboostsho

Quote from: ZSHO on September 22, 2019, 07:22:13 AM
I know you mentioned installing Hotpipes but are both Front & Rear BOV plugged in? How are the Brakes?  Z
Yes both are definitely plugged in and brakes are in perfect working order.

Gray Brick

I had the same issue and one of my wastegate diaphragms were torn. Replaced them both and all is good
2013 Ecoboost Ford Flex
AJP Tune (ATP+2) in progress , Livernois HPFP, 3 Bar MAP, UPR Catch Can, 100% Methanol w/ braided steel lines, 3" Downpipes -->2.5" X-pipe --> 2.5" Magnaflow exhaust, 2.5" air inlets to each turbo with cone filter, Custom water to air intercooler with chiller
275/40-20 Front 315/35-20 Rear Tires
---12.419ET/112.43MPH @ 5150 lbs in the 1/4---

ecoboostsho

Quote from: Gray Brick on September 22, 2019, 09:16:26 PM
I had the same issue and one of my wastegate diaphragms were torn. Replaced them both and all is good
The wastegates have replaceable diaphragms or do you mean blow off valves? Appreciate the response.

ecoboostsho

Update...I've been logging  the car and have discovered that if I turn off the car and then turn it back on the Wastegate Duty Cycle acts normally and the car performs just fine until it hits 100% WGDC and then it goes to zero and won't budge...and the car is noticably slower.  The fact that it resets itself once seems to indicate it might not be a physical problem (ie blown wastegates) but maybe a sensor issue?  I did replace the 3 bar MAP sensor with the 2 bar and the problem persists so it can't be that.  I'm wondering if the TIP boost sensor right in front of the throttle body could be failing or causing weird results so the car is limiting boost on purpose?  That said I would have thought I'd have additional codes.