• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Rear headliner fell

Started by Bronco2fan, August 24, 2019, 01:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bronco2fan

Ok fellas, I noticed my headliner sagging by the 3rd brake light. Tried like hell to figure out how it's held there. Searched the forum, no answers.

Anybody got pics, diagrams, or ideas how to put it back up. My neck and arms are killing me lol.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

2019 Mustang GT, Velocity Blue 5.0 PP, 2015 Audi Q7 TFSI Quattro. 2013 Ruby Red Metallic, PP.  06 F150 Harley-Davidson Edition, 03 Mustang GT Conv, 84 Bronco II, and my 97 Jeep GC Laredo 5.2.

ZSHO

I don't have access to FSM @ the moment but its certainly a PITA IIRC! Do you have a sunroof?  I can check later for ya. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Bronco2fan

Yes, sunroof. I've discovered the passenger side adhesive let go from the roof. All the hardware is still attached to the headiner.

Drivers side clip is out, hardware still where it should be attached. If that makes sense.

Thanks Z .

2019 Mustang GT, Velocity Blue 5.0 PP, 2015 Audi Q7 TFSI Quattro. 2013 Ruby Red Metallic, PP.  06 F150 Harley-Davidson Edition, 03 Mustang GT Conv, 84 Bronco II, and my 97 Jeep GC Laredo 5.2.

ZSHO

Sorry NO Diagram or Pics until Mon! I hope this helps any. Z

Remove the LH and RH A-pillar trim panels. Refer to A-Pillar Trim Panel or A-Pillar Trim Panel — Police Package .
Disconnect the electrical connector located on the lower LH and RH A-pillar.
Remove the wiring harness pin-type retainers.
Remove the LH and RH sun visor.
Remove the 2 sun visor retaining screws.
If equipped, disconnect the electrical connectors.
Remove the LH and RH sun visor clips.
Remove the sun visor clip screws.
If equipped

Remove the front and rear assist handles.
Open the assist handle retainer screw covers.
Remove the assist handle retaining screws.
If equipped, disconnect the ambient light electrical connector.
Remove the left rear passenger side door check arm bolt.
Remove 1 door check arm bolt from the body.
To install, tighten to 25 Nm (18 lb-ft).
Remove the LH and RH front seats. For additional information, refer to Section 501-10 .
Remove the front floor console. For additional information, refer to Section 501-12 .
Flatten the LH and RH carpet against floor and tape into position.
Remove the LH and RH B-pillar trim panels. For additional information, refer to B-Pillar Trim Panel in this section.
Completely remove the left rear door weatherstrip from opening.
Remove the LH and RH C-pillar trim panels. For additional information, refer to C-Pillar Trim Panel in this section.
Lower the door weatherstrips where they contact the headliner.
Remove the 2 trim panel retaining clips from the rear of the headliner.
Remove the 2 retaining clips using a pushpin puller.
Vehicles with roof opening panel
Disconnect the roof opening panel electrical connector.
Vehicles without roof opening panel
NOTICE: Do not cut below the front reinforcement support or damage to the headliner will occur.

NOTE: The base headliner front reinforcement support must be cut to allow for flexing when removing through the door opening. Cut the support on the outer side of the reinforcement support rib.

NOTE: Replacement headliners have been pre-cut.

Lower the headliner and cut the front reinforcement support.
Using a cutoff wheel or suitable cutting tool, cut the support 8 mm (0.314 in) away from both the center support ribs, 20 mm (0.787 in) deep

All vehicles

NOTE: The headliner is made of new material that will allow for specific folding and flexing during removal and installation.

Remove the headliner.
Rotate the headliner 90 degrees clockwise and remove the headliner through the left rear door opening.
NOTE: Obtain the 3M™ Duramix™ 4747 Super Fast Adhesive commercially. The 3M™ Duramix™ 4747 Super Fast Adhesives a 2-part adhesive in a 50 ml dual-tube applicator. Depending on the size of the headliner and optional wire harness(es), the purchase of two to five 50 ml tubes is suggested.

If installing a new headliner, transfer the wire harness in the following sequence:
Using a suitable marking tool, mark the new headliner with the routing and exit points of the wire harness from the original headliner.
Carefully remove the wire harness from the original headliner.
NOTICE: Make sure not to damage the wire harness when cutting the excess adhesive from the wire harness.
Cut and remove any excess adhesive from the wire harness.
Position the wire harness onto the new headliner and check that the harness has enough length to be connected to the body/roof connectors. Apply tape to temporarily hold the wire harness in that position on the headliner.
NOTE: The 3M™ Duramix™ 4747 Super Fast Adhesive will set in 20 seconds. Continually make sure that the wire harness is routed correctly when applying the adhesive.

Apply the 3M™ Duramix™ 4747 Super Fast Adhesive in the same location as the factory installed adhesive along the full length of the wire harness-to-headliner to avoid any NVH concern(s).
Transfer all necessary components.
To install, reverse the removal procedure

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Bronco2fan

Z , I really hope you didn't have to type all that info in. That's a lot to do just to fix two clips lol.

Pics and diagrams would be helpful. I can wait till Monday. It's pouring rain here now lol.

Thanks a bunch Z.

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Bronco2fan

Thanks very much for the link. it's very informative. But if you look closely, there's no images of how the Headliner is attached at the rear. No part numbers or parts shown. Mine has these 2 slide in clips at the rear that I can't find anywhere. Maybe it went in for the TSB and those were added? IDK, But I'll figure it out, even if I have to gorilla tape it up back there lol.

Thanks for the help guys.

6500rpm

Short answer just based on general experience. Remove 3rd brake light, rear sail panels, rear grab handles, and rear door seals. That should probably buy you enough flex to pull the rear of the headliner down enough to let you snake in there if your nimble and re-attach the retainers. Most of the time headliner retainers, harness, supports are hot glued to the headliner. If you can drop the liner down enough to get in there and work on it and block it down with a small box, wood, or whatever. Disconnect the retainers from the roof panel and glue them back on the headliner. That's a really odd failure unless someones taken the liner loose in the past to work on something, to completely remove it without creasing it is a real pain and on a lot of cars removing the windshield is suggested. The manual called for 3M™ Duramix™ 4747 Super Fast Adhesive for the harness, most likely the same for the retainers.
2013 SHO PP in Ruby Red Metallic, GTG Billet Grills, Duraflex Racer Chin Spoiler, DriveBright LED Driving/Turn Lights,160 T Stat, MSD Coils, All Royal Purple Lubricants, EPP Gen 2 Duel Intake and hotpipes,3 bar, Gearhead AO tuned!

Bronco2fan

Thanks, that's pretty much what I've noticed about it too. I'll gather up the supplies suggested and get to it. Shame I'm not 20 years old anymore, definitely awkward to get to.