• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Replacement Rotors

Started by jmustang, August 13, 2013, 10:55:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmustang

I am looking to replace my stock rotors on my 2010 SHO. I have been looking at some aftermarket replacements and I was told about these...

http://www.r1concepts.com/Ford-Taurus-2010_p-168417-cross-drilled-slotted-rotors.aspx

So, what is everyone's favorite? Cross drilled, slotted, or both? Or just leave the rotors stock and just do the pads.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

DJE624

Those look pretty cool.  I'm a long way from doing brakes though. 

Joleat

I purchased my MKS with 29k on the clock and the rotors were warped. I've been debating which route to go and I've decided on EBC Ultimax slotted rotors with EBC Red Stuff pads. Supposedly, this combination will be both quiet and low dust while providing improved braking over stock.

If ordering through AutoAnything, they have a 15% off discount for first time customers. It will bring the total down to the mid $400s for new rotors and pads on all four corners.
Project: MKSinister-2011 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost-Tuxedo Black Metallic Exterior-Black Ultimate Leather Interior-EcoBoost Appearance Package-Unleashed SCT X4-3Bar MAP-SP534 Spark Plugs-Power Stop Drilled and Slotted Rotors and Evolution Ceramic Brake Pads-General G-Max AS-03 Tires-Debadged-Color Matched Grille-Anthracite Gray Wheels-Gloss Black Vinyl Over Chrome-35% Window Tint

bpd1151

Stock rotors are crap..... utter crap.

Went through three sets of them myself (under warranty). Each set warped.

Stock pads weren't much better, and when I replaced them finally with after market, I noticed the pad material had cracked & some portions had completely dislodged / broke away.

Anyhow, went with EBC "Yellow Stuff" track pads, and slotted, cryo treated rotors from Power Stop.

Been working like a charm and surprisingly not much dust as I was anticipating.

EBC Staff recommended slotted rotors only FWIW for a DD SHO, stating the slotted/cross drilled applications was considered primarily for track use only.

Hopefully others will chime in with their own experiences, so as to provide you with a greater range of experiences to draw from and come to some conclusions of your own.

But just remember, ANYTHING will be better than the stock set up.

Good luck :ok:

Mike :beer:

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

EcoBrick Bob

I have powerslot rotors front and same rotor without slots on back.  Stop Tech pads on front and Akebono(?) on back.  I tried to buy EBC but the pads got backordered 3 times and AutoAnything suggested I cancel.  My car stops fantastic, but the Stop Tech's really create dust.
Flex was definitely more limited than SHO regarding options back in 2011.

On my 09' G8, I kept stock rotors (low miles) and went with EBC Red all around.  They are definitely not as dusty as the Stop Tech.  Car stops great, but it weighs 1,000 lbs less.
2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex.. World's first 12 second Brick.. 12.904 @ 106.85 MPH - October 2011
2009 Spt. Red G8 GT - modded. best time 12.074 & 114.02 MPH
2008 White G8 GT - mods... 8.32 1/8 mi.

Naples, FL & Clear Lake, IA
Bob has decided not to post here any more, please do not PM him he will not receive it.

mjhpadi

Here's my input on rotors and pads. First, I would not buy Powerslot again, after how badly they fell apart when I had them on my F-150, I was really disappointed with them.  I replaced them with EBC and they lasted until I got rid of the truck and I felt they improved the braking...but I used them with just normal (Advance Auto Part)pads.  I am leaning towards replacing them with EBC rotors and pads.  And that price that Joleat quotes from Auto Anything is much better then the price at EBC's website. 
   Lastly, Mike speaks the gospel about the stock rotors, I found they are exactly as Mike describes: "Utter crap"....I've had to replace the front rotors on every Ford vehicle we've owned in the past 20 years because of the rotors going south!
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

RL-2005

EBC is the way to go, USR slotted rotors and Red stuff pads

EcoBrick Bob

Unless you are racing your vehicle at a road course, Slotted or drilled rotors are a waste of money (even though I have them), but are definitely good for Visual Fluff!

At some point when my Stop Tech wear out, I will go with a good pad that produces less dust.
The Stop Tech remind me of the ones that used to come on my SAAB's that lasted about 15Kmi.

Had I known that ALL BLACK was really cool... I would have left those wheels dirty!
2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex.. World's first 12 second Brick.. 12.904 @ 106.85 MPH - October 2011
2009 Spt. Red G8 GT - modded. best time 12.074 & 114.02 MPH
2008 White G8 GT - mods... 8.32 1/8 mi.

Naples, FL & Clear Lake, IA
Bob has decided not to post here any more, please do not PM him he will not receive it.

shoman04

I went with PowerStop from AutoAnything. They come with carbon/ceramic pads slotted and drilled rotors with 3yr/36000mi warranty. The stock once didn't last that long. My dealer install them and said they install a lot of them on there commercial owners trucks . I love them, stop great no dust and great price. PowerStop had a $40 mail rebated on top of AutoAnything price.

AutoAnything Price$410.35Your Discount-$41.04Your Price$369.32
Ships between 06/06/2013 - 06/10/2013
via FEDEX Home Delivery - Free Shipping Zip Code:  (Change) $369.31

2011 KONA BLU SHO,Livernois Tune,AIRAID CAI,DYNOMAX MUFFLEs,Newest member of the 12sec CLUB 12.669sec @ 107mph    2011 Ford Taurus SHO: 12.669 @ 105.050 MPH NEW FOR 2013LMS down-pipe,Magnaflow X-pipe,and Custom 2.5"exhaust pipe!! Meth and stage 5 next to be install!!!!!! METH DYNO TUNE today 405AWHP!!!WOW LMS track day 12.4209sec   :mike1:

Kolk1

I did stoptech slotted rotors, and EBC red pads all the way around. From AutoAnything.com

Night Hawk

Been through three sets myself during my 85k  best luck with EBC conventional rotors and EBC red pads
2017 Fusion Sport
GFB DivValve/165* Thermo
K&N Panel/CFM Breather
Ult Perf Int Garrett Core/MKZ oil cooler
FMS 70mm TB/ NGK .026/LMS V6 93

mjhpadi

I have heard that drilled rotors have a tendency to develop cracks between the holes.  Thinking that maybe slotted/ dimpled rotors would be better for street application than slotted/ cross drilled.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

dalum

Quote from: mjhpadi on August 17, 2013, 11:26:09 AM
I have heard that drilled rotors have a tendency to develop cracks between the holes.  Thinking that maybe slotted/ dimpled rotors would be better for street application than slotted/ cross drilled.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

I've read the same. Rotors with the holes cast in the manuf process are good but ones that are drilled out afterword are prone to cracking.  I went with slotted on my GrandPrix and plan to do the same whenever I do the SHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
2013 Non-PP SHO

2011TAURUSSEL

Anyone here heard of installing the Rear Vented rotors on NON SHO models?  If I have the same 19" wheel package as a SHO any reason why they wouldn't fit?