• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Dash Cam installation

Started by lamrith, August 21, 2019, 01:49:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lamrith

Recently the number of near misses I have had/seen on my daily commute has gotten extreme. 

A month ago I saw the truck in front of me broadside (lightly thankfully) another car because the other car had run a redlight.  We were sitting at a red light, it went green and thankfully he was very very slow off the line (I almost tooted he was that slow), otherwise she would have hit him in the door at full speed.  The truck driver is very lucky I decided to stop and give him my info because the other driver insists she had a green light and since he hit her, it would have been his fault (officer that called me for a statement told me that) Nobody else stopped and it was a He said, she said.  She is fighting it hard too because I have also had calls from lawyers about it.

Fastforward to last week and I was coming up to a light that was green for a good minute or more before I got to it.  35mph, just as I cross the line a vehicle runs the light from the left at full speed.  I still do not know how I stopped fast enough to miss him, but these AS-05's stop hard and stop RIGHT NOW.  These are just the two most recent, the number of people using their cars like a weapon/armor is just thru the roof.

So I have purchased a dash cam.  It activates on power on, the problem is that the SHO the Cig lighters are always hot.  Right now I am plugging it in each time I go for a drive and unplugging when I park.

SO!  What have you guys done to hardwire your dash cams in?
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

SHOme

I have my radar detector hard wired to the map light.  It hangs tight to the mirror mounted on the mirror post. It turns off when the car is off.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
2014 SHO, PP 3 bar, 160 T Stat, Livernois v10 Tune, UPR catch can. MDesign CAI

nickstewartroc

Quote from: SHOme on August 21, 2019, 03:00:47 PM
I have my radar detector hard wired to the map light.  It hangs tight to the mirror mounted on the mirror post. It turns off when the car is off.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I've done this as well for my dashcam in my SHO
Current:
2013 Ruby Red Flex Limited EcoBoost, Unleashed Tuned, drop in filter

Gone but not forgotten: 2011 SHO Non-PP in Black Tuxedo Metallic - Catback, DPs, Stoptech Z23s, MDesign CAI, LMS Tune

lamrith

I didn't realize the map light comes on with the car?  I will have to look into that, and also verify voltage this cam uses.
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

SHOdded

Stay safe out there, amigos.  It IS the start of a new school year, and open season for new/inexperienced drivers.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

lamrith

Quote from: SHOdded on August 21, 2019, 04:21:22 PM
Stay safe out there, amigos.  It IS the start of a new school year, and open season for new/inexperienced drivers.
Very true.

Sadly, all the ones I shared were middle aged adult drivers.

ZSHO

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

lamrith

Quote from: ZSHO on August 21, 2019, 05:46:55 PM
This kit should work as it does not exceed the minimum threshold of 5V/2A AFAIK!
X2- Slow down and Stay safe as the new school year is upon us.

Here's my personal "How To" below!

https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,9669.0.html

https://www.amazon.com/AUCEE-Dash-Cam-Hardwire-kit/dp/B077C1HTPK/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_1?keywords=AUCEE+Dash+Cam+Hardwire+kit%2C+Mini+USB+Port%2CDC+12V+-+36V+to+5V%2F2A+Max+Car+Charger+Cable+kit&qid=1552953937&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmrnull
Thanks Z!!
I was sure you had a write-up, but I was looking for dash cam.  :-p

I see you have a dash cam mounted, did you use the long cord you linked here and just run it to direct power source rather than tap the mirror?

ZSHO

Quote from: lamrith on August 21, 2019, 06:29:12 PM
This kit should work as it does not exceed the minimum threshold of 5V/2A AFAIK!

https://www.amazon.com/AUCEE-Dash-Cam-Hardwire-kit/dp/B077C1HTPK/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_1?keywords=AUCEE+Dash+Cam+Hardwire+kit%2C+Mini+USB+Port%2CDC+12V+-+36V+to+5V%2F2A+Max+Car+Charger+Cable+kit&qid=1552953937&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmrnull
Thanks Z!!

I see you have a dash cam mounted, did you use the long cord you linked here and just run it to direct power source rather than tap the mirror?
I have tried both methods and worked as designed. Bit of trial and error per se. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Nova

Quote from: ZSHO on August 21, 2019, 06:36:48 PM

Thanks Z!!

I have tried both methods and worked as designed. Bit of trial and error per se. Z
Could you power both a dash cam and a radar all from the mirror tap?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

ZSHO

Quote from: Nova on August 21, 2019, 09:27:53 PM
Quote from: ZSHO on August 21, 2019, 06:36:48 PM

Thanks Z!!

Could you power both a dash cam and a radar all from the mirror tap?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I would not recommend it IMHO! To much power going into one souce. Z