• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Front end clip repaint?

Started by Scott13SHO, August 04, 2019, 01:37:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott13SHO

Well the front end of my 2013 SHO in ruby red looks like it's seen a sand blaster with a ton of white chips in it.

So if I wanted to get it repainted-how much would it run? I'm planning on replacing it in summer 2021 with a Bronco, so I'm trying to do the mental calculus if it would be worth to spend a grand or so it get it repainted or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ruby Red 2013 Ford Taurus SHO with Performance Package,Airaid CAI, MGP Red Caliper covers, LMS 93 Tune, Custom A-pillar Gauge pod with Aeroforce Interceptor Gauges, LED Interior and Exterior lights

Macgyver

Well the bumper comes off in less than a 1/2 hour for the first timers. So it will be easy to paint. Just not easy to get it to match the other panels.

Technically you can take it off and drop it off at a body shop but they would not be able to match it if the paint is off slightly.

OR get a use front bumper with less paint chips.

Either way. Painting is very Dependant on where you live for pricing.

shoNoff

I sell axalta paint at work. Ruby red is very expensive. It's a tri coat the mid coat only comes in a factory pack. It can not be mixed. Also only comes in a quart. I want to say a quart of 10002s is $225 off top of my head. Then add in mixed base coat and clear. Easily $400/500 in paint and clear, depending on what type of clear you go with. Next is adding in prep work, primer and labor to paint the tri coat.
2013 SHO PP 12.51 @ 110.07 AJP tuned sold
2016 edge sport 13.92 @ 99.4 mph. slow and stock baby mobile

4sfed

I have the same issue.

A friend has his charger front end flat blacked out. And it looks good...

Can anyone mock this up to see how it would look?

2015 SHO, GH E30 tune, GH intercooler, 3 bar, SP542's, PPE Cat'd DP's, XDI-35, H&R springs, AD Gen2 mounts
Factory Five Mark III, 2004 Mach I donor (gone)
2003 Mustang Cobra 'vert, 456 rwhp, with mods (gone)
2002 MB C32 AMG (gone)
1997 Cobra 'vert, Vortech'd (gone)

802SHO

This is a horrible example of what it can cost.  I had my front bumper repainted, grille and mesh painted, foglight covers painted and my front chin spoiler custom cut and fabricated to fit perfectly where the lower cladding goes and also painted, all in tuxedo black...for $333.  I worked at that shop so maybe that's why I got such a steal.  The body shop lost money on that deal lol
IG @802SHO 2010 SHO non PP, Tuned by AJP Turbo, 109 Octane + VP C85 for E30, Ported GH Gen 3 upgraded turbos, Ported 13+ Exhaust Manifolds, Custom FM IC TreadStone TR10C, EPP Hot Pipes, EPP Dual CAI, XDI35 HPFP, Deatschwerks 300C LPFP, Alky Control Methonal Injection, Alky dual nozzle upgrade, Zex Nitrous dual dry shots, Dicunzolo Gen2 torque mounts, MSD Coils, SP542 .026, 160 T, 3bar, Phenolic Spacer, Braille Lightweight Battery, Kirky Lightweight Racing Driver Seat, Catless Downpipes, custom stainless 2.5" double xpipe w/muffler deletes 4" quad tips, UPR Dual Valve Catch Can, 13+ PP Trans Cooler, Econoaid throttle Body Booster, Bravado Tribute 20x9.5 + 32 offset Wheels, Nitto NT555R Front Tires, Continental Extreme Contact DW Rear Tires and all are 275/35/20, H&R Springs all around w/rear cut 1/2", 1" hubcentric wheel spacers m14 1.5 stud/lug conversion, R1 Concepts Geomet slotted/drilled rotors with Heavy Duty Semi Metallic pads, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge.
Currently World's Fastest Ecoboost SHO
11.063 @ 123.17 MPH!  NED 10/10/20

Simonsays

Take a nice pic and i can mock it for ya.

4sfed

Quote from: Simonsays on August 06, 2019, 11:28:40 PM

Will this work?

2015 SHO, GH E30 tune, GH intercooler, 3 bar, SP542's, PPE Cat'd DP's, XDI-35, H&R springs, AD Gen2 mounts
Factory Five Mark III, 2004 Mach I donor (gone)
2003 Mustang Cobra 'vert, 456 rwhp, with mods (gone)
2002 MB C32 AMG (gone)
1997 Cobra 'vert, Vortech'd (gone)

Bronco2fan

My Ruby Red is in the body ship now getting her whole front end repainted. Hood, fenders, bumper, light covers, blended halfway through the doors. I'm gonna be out the door at 975.00. I'm not complaining either because most body shops tell you they only do insurance or charge astronomical prices.

She was a road warrior forever and the front end showed it's age. I'll post pics when I get her back.
2019 Mustang GT, Velocity Blue 5.0 PP, 2015 Audi Q7 TFSI Quattro. 2013 Ruby Red Metallic, PP.  06 F150 Harley-Davidson Edition, 03 Mustang GT Conv, 84 Bronco II, and my 97 Jeep GC Laredo 5.2.

Simonsays

Quote from: 4sfed on August 07, 2019, 01:03:28 PM
Quote from: Simonsays on August 06, 2019, 11:28:40 PM

Will this work?

Yeah, ill mock it up tonight for ya based on this, then ill grab a stock photo from somewhere to show another angle.

shoNoff

Quote from: Bronco2fan on August 07, 2019, 04:20:39 PM
My Ruby Red is in the body ship now getting her whole front end repainted. Hood, fenders, bumper, light covers, blended halfway through the doors. I'm gonna be out the door at 975.00. I'm not complaining either because most body shops tell you they only do insurance or charge astronomical prices.

She was a road warrior forever and the front end showed it's age. I'll post pics when I get her back.

That's a smoking deal for that work.
2013 SHO PP 12.51 @ 110.07 AJP tuned sold
2016 edge sport 13.92 @ 99.4 mph. slow and stock baby mobile

Bronco2fan

So went by to check the progress on my Road Warrior. The owner had some interesting news for me. Apparently my SHO had been repainted before. The body at least once and the front clip at least twice. He showed me where the factory paint was and the respray. And my pin stripe was put on before the clear had dried enough, so it left marks on the paint. I had planned on leaving them off, but now they'll go back on so it doesn't show.

Just shows that carfax and dealer inquiries are BS.  They show you what they want you to see.

Anyway she's coming along fine. Pics.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

2019 Mustang GT, Velocity Blue 5.0 PP, 2015 Audi Q7 TFSI Quattro. 2013 Ruby Red Metallic, PP.  06 F150 Harley-Davidson Edition, 03 Mustang GT Conv, 84 Bronco II, and my 97 Jeep GC Laredo 5.2.

SHOdded

Used is Used.  :(  Be nice to talk to the prev owner and get the backstory.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Bronco2fan

Yes, my sentiments exactly. She's mechanically sound and that's what matters most. And I still really like her. She'll just look a lot better now.

Then on to more mods lol.

Scott13SHO

This is what mine looks like-guess I'll call around and get estimates. Guess I should have invested in a clear bra.

I have just over 86k on it and it was protected using Adams Finishing products

Ruby Red 2013 Ford Taurus SHO with Performance Package,Airaid CAI, MGP Red Caliper covers, LMS 93 Tune, Custom A-pillar Gauge pod with Aeroforce Interceptor Gauges, LED Interior and Exterior lights

Bronco2fan

That's pretty much how mine looked too. Couldn't tell from 20 feet, but up close it was very noticeable.

Yeah, call around. I found my car by accident. Meaning I was driving around and saw a new shop that wasn't one of those Mega shops. Small 4 man operation with builds out front. He specializes in pearls and flakes too, lucky me.