• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

MSD coils ..Any benefit or negatives ?

Started by TopherSho, July 31, 2019, 04:32:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GhostlyGrenade

installed these this morning, took maybe 45min or so. way smoother idle and feels more responsive. only driven about 100miles on em so far though. just figured id update.
got em on amazon for 276~
2015 SHO Darkside paint color, 3 bar, Motorcraft SP542 plugs@0.28, MSD Coils, K&N drop in, Continental Extreme Contact tires 255/45R20, EBC Yellow pads, 170 T-Stat, Redline 5w30, updated to the 2018+ trans mount, E-30 Blend, TUNED by AJPTurbo

MKS Tom

I intend to get this at some point.  I don't expect much in terms of gains, but if it gets better MPG with a smoother idle then it may be worth it. 
2013 Lincoln MKS ecoboost, 70,000 miles.  3 bar map 93 tune (E30 in the future) by both AJP Turbo and Ortiz Performance.  PPE catted down pipes, EPP dual CAI (not yet installed so K&N drop in), .026 gapped SP542, 170 degree thermostat, Dynomax axlebacks, and Power Stop Z23 pads and rotors.

StinkinLinkin13

Quote from: GhostlyGrenade on August 03, 2019, 11:54:45 AM
installed these this morning, took maybe 45min or so. way smoother idle and feels more responsive. only driven about 100miles on em so far though. just figured id update.
got em on amazon for 276~

Can you share link to these? My search results on Amazon claim the do not fit my 16 MKS.
Livernois Catless downpipes with Totalflow mufflers - AJP E40/Meth tune - Firestorm HPFP - DW 300 LPFP - Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump - 3 Bar Map - Alky Controls Meth Injection - 160° Thermostat - EPP Hot Pipes - AEM Dryflow Filter - BOV VTA - SSM Polyurethane Torque Struts - H&R Sport Springs - 20"x10" Niche Veronas on 275/40-20 DWS06 -

GhostlyGrenade

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MRAOVSP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

maybe its just the new part feel, but it feels stronger on just part throttle even, hopefully get a chance for some stoplight fun at some point this weekend. just did some around town errands and it's definitely smoother at idle
2015 SHO Darkside paint color, 3 bar, Motorcraft SP542 plugs@0.28, MSD Coils, K&N drop in, Continental Extreme Contact tires 255/45R20, EBC Yellow pads, 170 T-Stat, Redline 5w30, updated to the 2018+ trans mount, E-30 Blend, TUNED by AJPTurbo

StinkinLinkin13

Thanks... That what I had seen before. I guess its just a glitch in their system info. See attached screenshot...
Livernois Catless downpipes with Totalflow mufflers - AJP E40/Meth tune - Firestorm HPFP - DW 300 LPFP - Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump - 3 Bar Map - Alky Controls Meth Injection - 160° Thermostat - EPP Hot Pipes - AEM Dryflow Filter - BOV VTA - SSM Polyurethane Torque Struts - H&R Sport Springs - 20"x10" Niche Veronas on 275/40-20 DWS06 -

GhostlyGrenade

Odd. As far as I know they make 2 pin and 3 pin and they are available in black, blue, and red. Make sure you get some dielectric grease, they don't come with any.

StealBlueSho

They do produce a small amount of additional power to the plugs...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FiveLeeter918

Been running them about 6 months now on my 13, and no issues.
- Lee
Technical Sales, Ortiz Tuning and Performance
F-150, Mustang, Lincoln MKS, Taurus SHO and Ford Flex Tuning

Ortiz Performance Vendor Forum | Find us on Facebook! | Shop Today!

GhostlyGrenade

Nice 63degree morning, made me realize I need tires lol
Overall I drove 320miles on the new coils. Gained 1.1mpg on highway but that could've been my lack of highway challenges.(only had 1 WRX try to run)  Feels more responsive during merging and quick passes. So far, I'd say I'm happy.

6500rpm

I've got about a week on a lightly used MSD set that I picked up from ShoNoff's sale and re-gapped the year old plugs at .030". I'm still un-tuned at this point and it sure feels like it revs smoother and stronger. I'd have to say it was an improvement over the OEM. Also happy to see the plugs were still clean as the day I installed them. 30 years ago, reading the plugs was a required art, unless the engine has an issue now it looks like more of an afterthought.
2013 SHO PP in Ruby Red Metallic, GTG Billet Grills, Duraflex Racer Chin Spoiler, DriveBright LED Driving/Turn Lights,160 T Stat, MSD Coils, All Royal Purple Lubricants, EPP Gen 2 Duel Intake and hotpipes,3 bar, Gearhead AO tuned!

GhostlyGrenade

Quote from: 6500rpm on August 19, 2019, 05:34:49 PM
I've got about a week on a lightly used MSD set that I picked up from ShoNoff's sale and re-gapped the year old plugs at .030". I'm still un-tuned at this point and it sure feels like it revs smoother and stronger. I'd have to say it was an improvement over the OEM. Also happy to see the plugs were still clean as the day I installed them. 30 years ago, reading the plugs was a required art, unless the engine has an issue now it looks like more of an afterthought.

i remember my very first car was a 70 olds 442 my dad and i rebuilt, he taught me how to tune it and do all of the maintenance, reading the plugs and setting the fuel mixture and timing....i still regret selling it 20 years ago...

shoNoff

Quote from: 6500rpm on August 19, 2019, 05:34:49 PM

Glad to see they are still going strong in another sho
2013 SHO PP 12.51 @ 110.07 AJP tuned sold
2016 edge sport 13.92 @ 99.4 mph. slow and stock baby mobile