• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Phenolic Spacers

Started by MKS Tom, July 28, 2019, 11:06:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

802SHO

Yeah I mean if this was installed my car I would have a data log to share compared to before the spacer and after showing a timed idle heat soak and some sort of WOT data before and after installation of the spacer all other mods being equal and similar ambient temp.  So I'm just so puzzled that you posted this on FB and said...after towing for a bit uphill IAT2 was 90° cooler than coolant temp...and that's it? 

Just for all the waiting and waiting ..for this...that's first look?  Great.  I have no clue how much better it is.  None, zip, zilch lol! 

Hopefully not offending anyone but I mean if I was the lucky revealer I would have nailed the key performance benefits for being either an advantage or inconclusive but more specific and in line with what the spacer is used for.  Right now we "think" if you tow often...it could be better now? 

I would really hope somone would bust my balls if the shoe was on the other foot.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

IG @802SHO 2010 SHO non PP, Tuned by AJP Turbo, 109 Octane + VP C85 for E30, Ported GH Gen 3 upgraded turbos, Ported 13+ Exhaust Manifolds, Custom FM IC TreadStone TR10C, EPP Hot Pipes, EPP Dual CAI, XDI35 HPFP, Deatschwerks 300C LPFP, Alky Control Methonal Injection, Alky dual nozzle upgrade, Zex Nitrous dual dry shots, Dicunzolo Gen2 torque mounts, MSD Coils, SP542 .026, 160 T, 3bar, Phenolic Spacer, Braille Lightweight Battery, Kirky Lightweight Racing Driver Seat, Catless Downpipes, custom stainless 2.5" double xpipe w/muffler deletes 4" quad tips, UPR Dual Valve Catch Can, 13+ PP Trans Cooler, Econoaid throttle Body Booster, Bravado Tribute 20x9.5 + 32 offset Wheels, Nitto NT555R Front Tires, Continental Extreme Contact DW Rear Tires and all are 275/35/20, H&R Springs all around w/rear cut 1/2", 1" hubcentric wheel spacers m14 1.5 stud/lug conversion, R1 Concepts Geomet slotted/drilled rotors with Heavy Duty Semi Metallic pads, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge.
Currently World's Fastest Ecoboost SHO
11.063 @ 123.17 MPH!  NED 10/10/20

ridered74

Quote from: 802SHO on June 21, 2020, 08:41:41 PM
Yeah I mean if this was installed my car I would have a data log to share compared to before the spacer and after showing a timed idle heat soak and some sort of WOT data before and after installation of the spacer all other mods being equal and similar ambient temp.  So I'm just so puzzled that you posted this on FB and said...after towing for a bit uphill IAT2 was 90° cooler than coolant temp...and that's it? 

Just for all the waiting and waiting ..for this...that's first look?  Great.  I have no clue how much better it is.  None, zip, zilch lol! 

Hopefully not offending anyone but I mean if I was the lucky revealer I would have nailed the key performance benefits for being either an advantage or inconclusive but more specific and in line with what the spacer is used for.  Right now we "think" if you tow often...it could be better now? 

I would really hope somone would bust my balls if the shoe was on the other foot.

I felt the same way about the willwood brake upgrade kit, but apparently I was the only one with reservations of only a single dragy test and then calling it good, and this spacer costs one tenth of the brake "upgrade" kit. Crazy how that works I guess.

I'm on the list for this so if nobody else can get some heat soak data, I will be happy to test it out myself and provide data. I have been to the track enough in the past and plan to continue in the future that it will be obvious quick whether it helps heat soak at the line or not. My data logs don't have ambient temperature so past logs won't help much, but next couple trips to the track I'll start keeping track of how hot it is outside and mark my logs so I have comparisons vs once I get the spacer.
Gearhead E30 tune, Gearhead intercooler, LMS firestorm hpfp, catted downpipes, corsa catback, 160 degree thermostat, 3 bar map, upgraded AD trans mounts, MSD coils, Nitto 555R drag tires on front, AR924 wheels and BFG sport comp 2 summer tires on rear, and an EPP intake.

12.2479 @ 118.05 fastest trap
11.591 @ 114.89   fastest ET

802SHO

Yes that would make sense.  I'm on the list too number 4 in line I believe.  Emailed them back in January, unless someone else is AB?  I'm going to purchase this spacer whenever I get my email sent with a link to PayPal, but it certainly would be nice to have more concrete data prior to purchase.  Doesn't Matt Robinson have one?  Maybe he'll reveal some dyno results with this.  I read somewhere he mentioned something about runner length with this spacer and that it "should" be a benefit.  This item at @$159 the price is certainly right.  And install looks straightforward.  All foreplay and no climax...yet.

IG @802SHO 2010 SHO non PP, Tuned by AJP Turbo, 109 Octane + VP C85 for E30, Ported GH Gen 3 upgraded turbos, Ported 13+ Exhaust Manifolds, Custom FM IC TreadStone TR10C, EPP Hot Pipes, EPP Dual CAI, XDI35 HPFP, Deatschwerks 300C LPFP, Alky Control Methonal Injection, Alky dual nozzle upgrade, Zex Nitrous dual dry shots, Dicunzolo Gen2 torque mounts, MSD Coils, SP542 .026, 160 T, 3bar, Phenolic Spacer, Braille Lightweight Battery, Kirky Lightweight Racing Driver Seat, Catless Downpipes, custom stainless 2.5" double xpipe w/muffler deletes 4" quad tips, UPR Dual Valve Catch Can, 13+ PP Trans Cooler, Econoaid throttle Body Booster, Bravado Tribute 20x9.5 + 32 offset Wheels, Nitto NT555R Front Tires, Continental Extreme Contact DW Rear Tires and all are 275/35/20, H&R Springs all around w/rear cut 1/2", 1" hubcentric wheel spacers m14 1.5 stud/lug conversion, R1 Concepts Geomet slotted/drilled rotors with Heavy Duty Semi Metallic pads, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge.

StealBlueSho

Quote from: 802SHO on June 22, 2020, 06:10:49 AM
Yes that would make sense.  I'm on the list too number 4 in line I believe.  Emailed them back in January, unless someone else is AB?  I'm going to purchase this spacer whenever I get my email sent with a link to PayPal, but it certainly would be nice to have more concrete data prior to purchase.  Doesn't Matt Robinson have one?  Maybe he'll reveal some dyno results with this.  I read somewhere he mentioned something about runner length with this spacer and that it "should" be a benefit.  This item at @$159 the price is certainly right.  And install looks straightforward.  All foreplay and no climax...yet.

Agree. Would love to see some solid data...

A few data points on temps at the intake after a 1/4 mile run with the stock setup. 

A few data points on temps at the intake after a 1/4 mile run with the spacer setup.

I would hope to see a significant drop in heats soak at the manifold...

802SHO

Quote from: StealBlueSHO on June 22, 2020, 08:39:53 AM

A few data points on temps at the intake after a 1/4 mile run with the stock setup. 

A few data points on temps at the intake after a 1/4 mile run with the spacer setup.

Yes and a solid tenth faster I would like to think at least.

4sfed

Honestly....dyno and track runs aside, I'd settle for information like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYguPadP2Uo

Since I'm now on the list as well, I'll be buying one of these infrared temp thingies, and reporting back.  I'm not high on the list though....so it might not be anytime soon. :)
2015 SHO, GH E30 tune, GH intercooler, 3 bar, SP542's, PPE Cat'd DP's, XDI-35, H&R springs, AD Gen2 mounts
Factory Five Mark III, 2004 Mach I donor (gone)
2003 Mustang Cobra 'vert, 456 rwhp, with mods (gone)
2002 MB C32 AMG (gone)
1997 Cobra 'vert, Vortech'd (gone)

StealBlueSho

Quote from: 802SHO on June 22, 2020, 09:46:06 AM
Quote from: StealBlueSHO on June 22, 2020, 08:39:53 AM

Yes and a solid tenth faster I would like to think at least.

Hmm... I think that would depend on the conditions.. if you are already spraying methanol or have the GH intercooler then I would think it would really depend. The idea here is to prevent as much heat transfer as possible from the heads to the intake manifold right? The IAT2 sensor at the top dramatically cools down as cooler air passes over it and even faster combined with methanol.

My assumption with this is that it will help inbetween runs to allow for more consistent times with less potential heak soak of the manifold. not a exactly going to take a tenth off your PB if that makes sense.

ridered74

Quote from: 4sfed on June 22, 2020, 09:51:56 AM
Honestly....dyno and track runs aside, I'd settle for information like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYguPadP2Uo

Since I'm now on the list as well, I'll be buying one of these infrared temp thingies, and reporting back.  I'm not high on the list though....so it might not be anytime soon. :)

I've got one of those infrared temp guns and I'm 15 on the list. Next time I drive my car I'll get some before temps at ambient and after car is warmed up. The genesis temps seem low, I want to say mine was like 150 degrees after it was warmed up and stayed pretty hot for a long time.
Gearhead E30 tune, Gearhead intercooler, LMS firestorm hpfp, catted downpipes, corsa catback, 160 degree thermostat, 3 bar map, upgraded AD trans mounts, MSD coils, Nitto 555R drag tires on front, AR924 wheels and BFG sport comp 2 summer tires on rear, and an EPP intake.

4sfed

Quote from: ridered74 on June 22, 2020, 10:58:35 AM
I've got one of those infrared temp guns and I'm 15 on the list. Next time I drive my car I'll get some before temps at ambient and after car is warmed up. The genesis temps seem low, I want to say mine was like 150 degrees after it was warmed up and stayed pretty hot for a long time.

Cool!  Honestly, this is the only data I'm interested in.  And if it ends up being a difference of 20 or so degrees....Id' say that's a win!
2015 SHO, GH E30 tune, GH intercooler, 3 bar, SP542's, PPE Cat'd DP's, XDI-35, H&R springs, AD Gen2 mounts
2002 MB C32 AMG (gone)

ridered74

Quote from: 4sfed on June 22, 2020, 11:12:53 AM

Cool!  Honestly, this is the only data I'm interested in.  And if it ends up being a difference of 20 or so degrees....Id' say that's a win!

Here's a pre spacer video of temps after a 45 minute drive. Outside temp was 76. Pretty wide range of temps depending on what part of intake you are aimed at. Saw everything from 121-170.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE1u2LrC7D0

FiveLeeter918

- Lee
Technical Sales, Ortiz Tuning and Performance
F-150, Mustang, Lincoln MKS, Taurus SHO and Ford Flex Tuning

Ortiz Performance Vendor Forum | Find us on Facebook! | Shop Today!

bpd1151

Quote from: FiveLeeter918 on June 26, 2020, 08:48:31 PM
Mine shipped today!
As did mine.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

4sfed

Quote from: ridered74 on June 23, 2020, 12:07:28 AM
Quote from: 4sfed on June 22, 2020, 11:12:53 AM

Here's a pre spacer video of temps after a 45 minute drive. Outside temp was 76. Pretty wide range of temps depending on what part of intake you are aimed at. Saw everything from 121-170.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE1u2LrC7D0
I would think measuring at the base of the runner, before and after, would be the best example. No?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

2002 MB C32 AMG (gone)

GhostlyGrenade

Honestly......it seems like IAT2 WOULD BE THE ONLY TEMP THAT MATTERED. Maybe I'm not thinking outside of my wallet. I don't care what temp my hood is if I'm changing hoods to help with high intake temps....

I would think the air going through the intake would be the best measurement. This is the temp that started you down the rabbit hole right?

Of course if you want you can take Temp readings of the neighbors car and see what happens.
2015 SHO Darkside paint color, 3 bar, Motorcraft SP542 plugs@0.28, MSD Coils, K&N drop in, Continental Extreme Contact tires 255/45R20, EBC Yellow pads, 170 T-Stat, Redline 5w30, updated to the 2018+ trans mount, E-30 Blend, TUNED by AJPTurbo

FiveLeeter918

Quote from: GhostlyGrenade on June 27, 2020, 09:18:56 AM
Honestly......it seems like IAT2 WOULD BE THE ONLY TEMP THAT MATTERED. Maybe I'm not thinking outside of my wallet. I don't care what temp my hood is if I'm changing hoods to help with high intake temps....

I would think the air going through the intake would be the best measurement. This is the temp that started you down the rabbit hole right?

Of course if you want you can take Temp readings of the neighbors car and see what happens.

You are quite correct.

Mine arrived today, hoping that my intake manifold follows shortly so that I can install and start testing.
- Lee
Technical Sales, Ortiz Tuning and Performance
F-150, Mustang, Lincoln MKS, Taurus SHO and Ford Flex Tuning

Ortiz Performance Vendor Forum | Find us on Facebook! | Shop Today!