• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

bpd1151's 2010 SHO Rebuild Thread....

Started by bpd1151, July 24, 2019, 12:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bpd1151

Quote from: ZSHO on March 17, 2020, 07:55:07 PMIt's something I have considered on numerous occasions.

I would emphasize that you will need to get it tuned properly especially for that additional jet.

Sometimes less volume is more. Z

Of course on the tuning Z. That's a given.

As far as volume goes, typically I would agree with you. But this current build/undertaking is far from typical.

It's implementation has been discussed and gone over with the pro's involved. The volume will be needed. I'll just leave it at that.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

bpd1151

04/13/20........

Been a lil quiet, yea? Well besides the COVID-19 pandemic slowing things down, my engine builder also re-injured / re-aggravated his back (sciatic nerve specifically) which was causing numbness in his one leg, and in turn, severely hampering his ability to just simply walk around, yet alone consider performing any work of any kind. On my project, as well as any/all others.

So, in the interim, and thanks to my long time mechanic friend who's also been instrumental in this process, was able to source an existing/used flywheel. Which I've since sent off to an aftermarket vendor for inspection and/or potential upgrading.

Important to note, all 2010's, and 1st half of the 2011 model year's, employ a 4 bolt pattern flywheel. As you see in this pic, it is a 3 bolt pattern. Why the change? Well, the upgraded TQ sourced from GH is a 3 bolt (also shown in pic). Soooooooo the change was necessary for that reason alone, but moving forward, I wanted to be able to convince the vendor I sent the flywheel to, that there would be a larger market for the 3 bolt pattern, as more of them are "out there" versus the 4 bolt. Anyhow, still waiting to hear on that front.

Hopefully should be hearing from the trans vendor soon as well.

I may consider reaching out to DSS for axles and/or drive shaft options. Even if custom. This may be contingent on funds however, as once again, due to the COVID-19 nonsense, all overtime has been eliminated. All secondary employment also eliminated. Alternative, emergency scheduling now in effect, and minimum staffing has been LOWERED to historic levels. So, although I count my blessings for still having a paycheck coming, the pandemic is drastically effecting extra income. Ugh.

Finally, I received the following message from the builder over this past weekend (quoted and highlighted in bold)....

"Block is all final cleaned, prep'd, and final measured. Setting bearing clearances is what we were working on during the week. Piston rings have been filed and fitted. Just need to do the assembly and start gathering more measurements to set final compression and acouple other specifications." ----Max Power

So it seems his back is better now, and he's back at the shop get'n 'er done!

Builder also said he hoped to get some pics sent my way this week as well. So, just a little update. Hope everyone's well, staying safe and healthy, in these trying times.

TopherSho

Quote from: bpd1151 on April 13, 2020, 11:10:39 AM
04/13/20........

Been a lil quiet, yea? Well besides the COVID-19 pandemic slowing things down, my engine builder also re-injured / re-aggravated his back (sciatic nerve specifically) which was causing numbness in his one leg, and in turn, severely hampering his ability to just simply walk around, yet alone consider performing any work of any kind. On my project, as well as any/all others.

So, in the interim, and thanks to my long time mechanic friend who's also been instrumental in this process, was able to source an existing/used flywheel. Which I've since sent off to an aftermarket vendor for inspection and/or potential upgrading.

Important to note, all 2010's, and 1st half of the 2011 model year's, employ a 4 bolt pattern flywheel. As you see in this pic, it is a 3 bolt pattern. Why the change? Well, the upgraded TQ sourced from GH is a 3 bolt (also shown in pic). Soooooooo the change was necessary for that reason alone, but moving forward, I wanted to be able to convince the vendor I sent the flywheel to, that there would be a larger market for the 3 bolt pattern, as more of them are "out there" versus the 4 bolt. Anyhow, still waiting to hear on that front.

Hopefully should be hearing from the tran vendor soon as well.

I may consider reaching out to DSS for axles and/or drive shaft options. Even if custom. This maybe contingent on funds however, as once again, due to the COVID-19 nonsense, all overtime has been eliminated. All secondary employment also eliminated. Alternative, emergency scheduling now in effect, and minimum staffing has been LOWERED to historic levels. So, although I count my blessings for still having a paycheck coming, the pandemic is drastically effecting extra income. Ugh.

Finally, I received the following message from the builder over this past weekend (quoted and highlighted in bold)....

"Block is all final cleaned, prep'd, and final measured. Setting bearing clearances is what we were working on during the week. Piston rings have been filed and fitted. Just need to do the assembly and start gathering more measurements to set final compression and acouple other specifications." ----Max Power

So it seems his back is better now, and he's back at the shop get'n 'er done!

Builder also said he hoped to get some pics sent my way this week as well. So, just a little update. Hope everyone's well, staying safe and healthy, in these trying times.

Are you going to shave the flywheel a bit to reduce rotational mass?  It will feel rougher but help with rpm building.   

Same with the shafts,  I imagine custom CarbonFibre shafts are a bit extreme but they would also greatly help with a reduction in rotational drag.
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

bpd1151

As many things that can be considered, are.

But as I stated in this latest update, the extra funds from overtime and secondary employment have all but dried up.

Least for the short, to medium term(s). Sucks. But again, counting blessings wherever and whenever they occur.

If this economic shutdown crap continues for any duration, I may just have to start buttoning things up, get it together and running, and proceed from there. I likely won't be hitting it right out of the gate anyhow as I'd like to ensure everything's broken in, seated well, and gelling harmoniously.

All in due time.

****side note, having 3 kids in college, and 2 of them home at the moment due to campus closures, is also having an impact.

TopherSho

Quote from: bpd1151 on April 13, 2020, 11:29:18 AM
As many things that can be considered, are.

But as I stated in this latest update, the extra funds from overtime and secondary employment have all but dried up.

Least for the short, to medium term(s). Sucks. But again, counting blessings wherever and whenever they occur.

If this economic shutdown crap continues for any duration, I may just have to start buttoning things up, get it together and running, and proceed from there. I likely won't be hitting it right out of the gate anyhow as I'd like to ensure everything's broken in, seated well, and gelling harmoniously.

All in due time.

****side note, having 3 kids in college, and 2 of them home at the moment due to campus closures, is also having an impact.

Meh kids can get jobs ;)  Dip into that college fund!
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

bpd1151

And the assembly fun begins......!

bpd1151

05/11/20......

Goodness. It's been a minute since any updates have been posted here. My apologies.

Lots of stuff going on at my place of employment as it related to near weekly, if not daily, changes due to the COVID-19 pandemic, that have caused me to fall behind here.

Well, a mixed bag of updates unfortunately.

Some good, some just meh, is what it is.

So let's see. Transmission. The trans vendor called my mechanic friend and expressed his frustrations at how his State (Michigan) is handling the closures and/or return to opening of normal business. As such, the delays have really placed a hogtie on his ability to receive any parts in a timely manner. Vendor told my friend not to expect anything to be completed until June at this rate.

Which, ironically leads into the motor assembly. That was (clue in on "was") coming along however, builder said that an unexpected quirk arose, in so much as that the WPC Treatment apparently caused clearance issues with the main bearing clearances. It changed them ever so slightly (.0003) which, to my builder was enough of a  concern to prompt him to order up a new set of bearings. He said customarily this variance would be overlooked by some/other builders, but he wants this build to be spot on perfect. He had the new/replacement set of bearings overnighted, and the WPC Treatment on them should be about a one week turn around. Once those return, assembly will resume.

Which given the trans delay(s) really isn't terribly pressing at this juncture. So I sit. And wait. And learn to be patient even furthermore.

On a good note though, the vendor handling the upgraded flywheel emailed me this morning, providing an update that the newly fab'd flywheel has been sent off for anodizing and should be completed in its entirety soon!

Got a couple of other things in the works as well. In the interim, a few neighbor's walking past and enjoying the few warm days we've had here, inquired about seeing the SHO parked in my garage, asking what it was, etc.

I gladly obliged showing them, and all the trophies, plaques and other things on display. They were impressed and said they can't wait to see it done and motoring around. I agreed! Ha.

A little background to this, is that literally each and every one of my neighbor's has their own toy cars/projects etc. So I always smile when entering the neighborhood and see all the new burnout marks and fresh rubber on the pavement.

I did fire up the massive sound system and entertained accordingly. At least I have that still while waiting for the build to progress.

Anyhoo..... hope this update finds everyone well and that each/all of you are safe, healthy, and hoping we all can get back to some semblance of normalcy soon.

bpd1151

05/22/2020.....

New custom aluminum flywheel arrived today. Yeah baby!

Another platform 1st right here.

Anyone needing vendor contact info, LMK.

StealBlueSho

Quote from: bpd1151 on May 22, 2020, 03:35:19 PM
05/22/2020.....

New custom aluminum flywheel arrived today. Yeah baby!

Another platform 1st right here.

Anyone needing vendor contact info, LMK.

How much does the new one weigh vs the stock one?

bpd1151

You know what, by the feel of my hand it's lighter, but by how much? Not sure.

I need to see if my long time mechanic friend has an OEM at his shop (he has a couple of EB motors, and EB transmission's laying around.

I was slacking and never weighed the OEM I had in hand, prior to sending off to the vendor.

My main concern was strength and ability to handle the power goals I am targeting.

Davidsiebert2

Quote from: bpd1151 on May 22, 2020, 04:06:27 PM

I need to see if my long time mechanic friend has an OEM at his shop (he has a couple of EB motors, and EB transmission's laying around.

I was slacking and never weighed the OEM I had in hand, prior to sending off to the vendor.

My main concern was strength and ability to handle the power goals I am targeting.

Will they manufacture more ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bpd1151

Quote from: Davidsiebert2 on May 23, 2020, 12:08:23 AMWill they manufacture more?

Yes!

Thus why I posted if anyone's desiring the vendor's info, I'll be happy to share.

I believe two fellow EB owners have already reached out to them today to express interest and/or place orders.

ridered74

Quote from: bpd1151 on May 22, 2020, 04:06:27 PM

Maybe while Jordan is pulling his engine apart he could weight the stock one for comparison?

Shame that it looks so pretty but has to be put inside the motor...
Gearhead E30 tune, Gearhead intercooler, LMS firestorm hpfp, catted downpipes, corsa catback, 160 degree thermostat, 3 bar map, upgraded AD trans mounts, MSD coils, Nitto 555R drag tires on front, AR924 wheels and BFG sport comp 2 summer tires on rear, and an EPP intake.

12.2479 @ 118.05 fastest trap
11.591 @ 114.89   fastest ET

bamsho

Feels lighter in your hand.  That's what she said.
2013 white Gen 5.  Gearhead Intercooler, Turbosmart wastegate actuators, Alky Controls meth kit, Livernois catted downpipes,  Livernois Corsa cat back black etched tips.  2016 True Street Champion.

bpd1151

Quote from: bamsho on May 24, 2020, 07:18:10 AM
Feels lighter in your hand.  That's what she said.
Well of course it feels lighter.....

Presuming she did her job correctly, she would've relieved it of its pressure and drained it accordingly.