• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Any roofers?

Started by StealBlueSho, July 16, 2019, 05:57:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StealBlueSho

Selling my home... home inspector for buyer says I need to have my Truss replaced... not a cheap endeavor... here is his justification... any thoughts?

Yes I realize it's a knot... but he says there is a crack in knot that compromises the structure..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ecoboostsho

I'm definitely not a roofer but that seems ridiculous to me. I don't know why you couldn't just brace that truss and both sides of the metal plate and call it good. They use them all the time in truss construction... I will be interested to see if anyone in the know could explain why you have to replace the whole truss.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)
Previous 2011 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP - 12.89 1/4 Mile

Sbouvia

No steel plates. You can just put two more wood members one on each side. Based on the loading required in the top chord will tell you how long the members have to be. You essentially have to get enough nails, lag screws, bolts, Simpson wood connectors, or fastenmaster connectors to transfer the load from the old member to the new ones and then back into the old member on the other side of the crack. Technically the chord has limited tension capacity in bending if it has a crack on the bottom which just so happens to be at a knot. He's not entirely wrong about the capacity being degraded but a whole replacement truss seems a little far fetched. Also technically if it were a true truss only loaded at panel points the the top chord would only be compressed so it may not affect strength at all. However we rarely ever see true trusses used in real construction except maybe for long long span trusses.

Hope that helps
~Scott
2013 SHO non-pp. Powerstop Top Cop kit rotors and stock Akebono Ceramic Pads, 3bar map sensor, 93 octane 3bar AJPTurbo tuned, but not dialed in.
2002 Jeep Wrangler TJ (Jane) w/ 2.5" lift, Banks torque tubes, monster exhaust and intake.
1991 F Super Duty 2.5 ton dump truck w/ 7.3IDI

SHOdded

They told me the joints had to be sistered in a situation similar to SBS's.  Same as what sbouvia said essentially.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

FoMoCoSHO

Home inspectors, jack of all trades master of none.

It needs sisters.....

StealBlueSho

Thanks guys for the heads up!

Roofer came out and actually said it was a feature of the knot and not an actual crack. I asked him how much he would charge the sister the board anyway just to avoid an argument with new buyers. $50 was what he quoted me, so I said go ahead.

SHOdded

A good decision at any point :thumb:
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Sbouvia

Yep good idea as trying to convince home inspector otherwise is almost impossible. Some home inspectors are good, some are bad. As an FYI I am a structural engineer so often get called out to look at stuff after a home inspector flags it. I've been called out for everything from cracked drywall to supposed leaning posts (which with level on them were as straight as I've ever seen a wood post), so it does pay to get a good home inspector. Oh and FYI once I get called out it can start getting pricey because we do not work on volume like them.

If you want a fun discussion tell me if you have an attic access hatch? If so I bet the bottom chords of the trusses are cut, which means they don't work as trusses anymore. It's almost in every house we see with roof trusses unless the attic hatch is rotated along the span of the trusses.
~Scott
2013 SHO non-pp. Powerstop Top Cop kit rotors and stock Akebono Ceramic Pads, 3bar map sensor, 93 octane 3bar AJPTurbo tuned, but not dialed in.
2002 Jeep Wrangler TJ (Jane) w/ 2.5" lift, Banks torque tubes, monster exhaust and intake.
1991 F Super Duty 2.5 ton dump truck w/ 7.3IDI

MKS Tom

This isn't helpful, but it least is is funny.

Jerky Boys- Roofing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUVVpVTuZWs
2013 Lincoln MKS ecoboost, 70,000 miles.  3 bar map 93 tune (E30 in the future) by both AJP Turbo and Ortiz Performance.  PPE catted down pipes, EPP dual CAI (not yet installed so K&N drop in), .026 gapped SP542, 170 degree thermostat, Dynomax axlebacks, and Power Stop Z23 pads and rotors.

FearlessAZ

Quote from: StealBlueSHO on July 20, 2019, 07:36:34 AM
Thanks guys for the heads up!

Roofer came out and actually said it was a feature of the knot and not an actual crack. I asked him how much he would charge the sister the board anyway just to avoid an argument with new buyers. $50 was what he quoted me, so I said go ahead.

Can't complain about that price at all.
2010 Non PP Sho. All the factory goodies. (RIP)

2015 MKS Ecoboost. All the factory goodies. (SOLD)