• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

questions about tunes and datalogs

Started by GhostlyGrenade, July 13, 2019, 04:03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GhostlyGrenade

i run an E30 tune from ajpturbo and i typically fill up at 1/4 tank using 5 gallons of e85 and around 10 to 12 gallons of 93. i like to datalog all the time pretty much and i noticed that im always at -1 OAR and -4.00 knock. i also notice my LTFTs run in the double digits almost always.
my questions are: is -4.00 knock the highest it can go?
are LTFTs in the 15-25 range on e30 normal?
inferred octane shows 98, is this correct?
any tips on things to watch for in datalogging?
thanks for any help on these questions

also thanks to Brad for the awesome tune and the knowledge during the revision process!
2015 SHO Darkside paint color, 3 bar, Motorcraft SP542 plugs@0.28, MSD Coils, K&N drop in, Continental Extreme Contact tires 255/45R20, EBC Yellow pads, 170 T-Stat, Redline 5w30, updated to the 2018+ trans mount, E-30 Blend, TUNED by AJPTurbo

StealBlueSho

All that sounds about right.... nothing outside of normal there...

If you are concerned about ethanol percentage, I highly suggest grabbing a fuel-it Bluetooth ethanol analyzer that goes inline with the fuel pump. It tells exactly what your ethanol content it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GhostlyGrenade

i was kind of noticing you can see ethanol percentage in the knock readings and the inferred octane. the more e85 i add the higher the octane gets and if i reduce e85 the knock readings get closer to 0. this is just speculation based on what ive seen while datalogging. ive been thinking about one of the ethanol analyzers but im leaning more towards methanol and a GH intercooler. i appreciate the specific type though i had no idea where to start on checking out the many different e-analyzers.
2015 SHO Darkside paint color, 3 bar, Motorcraft SP542 plugs@0.28, MSD Coils, K&N drop in, Continental Extreme Contact tires 255/45R20, EBC Yellow pads, 170 T-Stat, Redline 5w30, updated to the 2018+ trans mount, E-30 Blend, TUNED by AJPTurbo

StealBlueSho

Quote from: GhostlyGrenade on July 13, 2019, 04:26:01 PM
i was kind of noticing you can see ethanol percentage in the knock readings and the inferred octane. the more e85 i add the higher the octane gets and if i reduce e85 the knock readings get closer to 0. this is just speculation based on what ive seen while datalogging. ive been thinking about one of the ethanol analyzers but im leaning more towards methanol and a GH intercooler. i appreciate the specific type though i had no idea where to start on checking out the many different e-analyzers.

Curious about the inferred octane? Where are you seeing this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GhostlyGrenade

I use hptuners mpvi2 to datalog unless I'm specifically recording a datalog for a revision. It seems to have way more detail and I like the layout better. It has a massive list of things you can log and is updated daily. You can also tune your vehicle with it although I haven't attempted that yet.

FiveLeeter918

When running global knock negative numbers are good. If you are maxing at -4.00 then Brad is allowing the engine to add 4 degrees of timing as long as it's happy. No issue there.

High LTFTs are also normal with E30 due to the added fuel consumption required to make the same combustion energy. As long as STFTs cancel it back to 1.00 +/- 4% (IE. LTFTs are 0.18, but STFTs are 0.86, you are cancelling to 1.02), you're fine. If it stay above 1.05 though, you may have a boost leak.
- Lee
Technical Sales, Ortiz Tuning and Performance
F-150, Mustang, Lincoln MKS, Taurus SHO and Ford Flex Tuning

Ortiz Performance Vendor Forum | Find us on Facebook! | Shop Today!

76fomoco

funny I just had this email conversation with Brad last week.... I change to a different cf4 file and It wash showing K up to -4.0. I was concerned about the negative part turns out its a positive thing :)
2013 PP AJP E30 160 TS, sp542 plugs, 3 bar, PPE catted DP's, GH IC, GH turbos, XDI-35, EPP hot and intake
Best 3-29-21  11.85 with 3000 DA
DA trap best 117.96
E30 = 492 whp, 536 wtq
E30+meth 498 whp, 539 wtq

GhostlyGrenade

can the -4 be changed to say -8? would this allow more flexibility when you have better conditions/fuel? I am glad Brad shares information.  A rare trait in this industry.

FiveLeeter918

Quote from: GhostlyGrenade on August 27, 2019, 06:58:36 PM
can the -4 be changed to say -8? would this allow more flexibility when you have better conditions/fuel? I am glad Brad shares information.  A rare trait in this industry.

I think max in SCT is +/- 7, but typically the max to add is whatever MBT is for your setup. With our VCT settings we allow a -5, but I wouldn't push it much more.
- Lee

GhostlyGrenade

Perfect answer. I really appreciate it. Information is power. I may do some more research into your tuning company.
Thanks again for replying.

FiveLeeter918

Sure thing! here to help. If you have any questions please ask away.
- Lee