• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Random questions and shameless plug

Started by Black Dream, July 10, 2019, 11:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black Dream

Being the owner of a new to me MKS Eco I have some random questions for you all.

1.  The "city lights" (not sure if that's what they are officially called) on the inside corners of the headlights don't seem to come on ever irregardless of the headlight setting.  Are they supposed to?
2.  The MKS has a rear power sunshade that doesn't seem to fold  neatly.  I think the upper bar is supposed to be on top with the fabric tucking in as it lowers but that doesn't always happen.  Is there an easy way to rearrange the assembly so it does this on a regular basis?
3.  The car will very occasionally screech when using the push button start.  After much reading I'm pretty sure it's user error.  I've tried all sorts of starting procedures to alleviate this noise but the one that works almost every time is to have all doors closed, push the start button, wait for the "Press brake to start" message to change to "Accessory power on" then push the button to start the car.  Am I missing something here?
4.  Do I really have to take the front bumper cover off to replace the headlight bulbs?  It's not a big deal if it needs to be done but I'm always trying to maximize the efficiency of my R&M, i.e. being lazy lol.
5.  I've read the later model SHO's and MKS' can completely disable the traction control system by pushing the TC button twice but I don't think the earlier models can, mine's a 2010.
6.  Active suspension, do I have it?  My car has literally every option you could have had on a 2010 but I don't think I have the electrically controlled suspension.
7.  Is there a cheaper alternative to upgrading the NAV system than buying it new from Lincoln?  I can't justify spending $150 when my Google maps on the phone works fine.  I have version 11.2 and I think the newest available from Lincoln is 11.13.

And now for the shameless plug.  I've always debadged my cars except for my recently dead and gone GTO and the Lincoln got the treatment last week.  But she has a big azz and to me it looked awkward so I added a lerger but understated Ecoboost badge.

I really like the way it blends with the TB paint and it peaks curiousity and further inspection by those who don't get it right away.  I also bought a pair of factory looking "Ecobeast" emblems.  One will go on the toolbox but I'm not sure where the other one will land yet.  I was thinking on the small rear driver side window, it'll offset the Ford sticker that's on the same window passenger side.  And finally if anyone knows where I can buy a couple of small Unleashed Tuning decals I'd appreciate a point in the right direction from someone.  I haven't checked their website yet, heading over there when I post this to browse.
2010 MKS Eco, Airaid, SCT X4, Unleashed, SP542 plugs, 3 bar MAP and current daily.

2006 Pontiac GTO M6, 1 of 101 exactly like her, bone stock, lost to flood 5/19, gone but not forgotten....

SCRWLOOSE26

Quote from: Black Dream on July 10, 2019, 11:57:37 PM

4.  Do I really have to take the front bumper cover off to replace the headlight bulbs?  It's not a big deal if it needs to be done but I'm always trying to maximize the efficiency of my R&M, i.e. being lazy lol

To answer number four I think it depends what type of bulbs you have in your MKS, Halogen or HID. I'm sure the MKS headlight assembly is different than a SHO, but with my SHO I had to take off the front bumper cover, removed the headlight assembly, and then removed the ballast to unplug the HID bulb. I'm sure some one in this forum has found an easier way to do it, but this is what worked for me.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO non-PP: 3 Bar Map, Rat Stat 170 Thermostat, SP-542 Plugs gapped .026, Gearhead AO Tune, PPE Catted Downpipes, MSD Coils, AEM Drop In, DiCunzolo Gen 2 Mounts

802SHO

#5 I have a 2010 SHO and all I can do is hit the traction control button once, holding it down accomplishes nothing compared to just pressing it like normal.  I don't think traction control is completely disengaged.
IG @802SHO 2010 SHO non PP, Tuned by AJP Turbo, 109 Octane + VP C85 for E30, Ported GH Gen 3 upgraded turbos, Ported 13+ Exhaust Manifolds, Custom FM IC TreadStone TR10C, EPP Hot Pipes, EPP Dual CAI, XDI35 HPFP, Deatschwerks 300C LPFP, Alky Control Methonal Injection, Alky dual nozzle upgrade, Zex Nitrous dual dry shots, Dicunzolo Gen2 torque mounts, MSD Coils, SP542 .026, 160 T, 3bar, Phenolic Spacer, Braille Lightweight Battery, Kirky Lightweight Racing Driver Seat, Catless Downpipes, custom stainless 2.5" double xpipe w/muffler deletes 4" quad tips, UPR Dual Valve Catch Can, 13+ PP Trans Cooler, Econoaid throttle Body Booster, Bravado Tribute 20x9.5 + 32 offset Wheels, Nitto NT555R Front Tires, Continental Extreme Contact DW Rear Tires and all are 275/35/20, H&R Springs all around w/rear cut 1/2", 1" hubcentric wheel spacers m14 1.5 stud/lug conversion, R1 Concepts Geomet slotted/drilled rotors with Heavy Duty Semi Metallic pads, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge.
Currently World's Fastest Ecoboost SHO
11.063 @ 123.17 MPH!  NED 10/10/20

TopherSho

#5  if you do not have a PP,  you cannot disable more than the basic advancetrac,  stability control still is fully enabled
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

Black Dream

Thanks for the responses.  Anyone else care to shed light on the unanswered questions?
2010 MKS Eco, Airaid, SCT X4, Unleashed, SP542 plugs, 3 bar MAP and current daily.

2006 Pontiac GTO M6, 1 of 101 exactly like her, bone stock, lost to flood 5/19, gone but not forgotten....

SHOdded

#1 - "City Lights"

From what I can tell by this diagram, there are only two bulbs in the MKS headlight.  One is the HID lamp, the other is at the outside corner for signaling.  There is nothing other than that.  Are you saying there is a 3rd lamp?  Can you provide a closeup of the headlight, and mark the exact area you are inquiring about?
https://parts.levittownfordparts.com/auto-parts/2011/lincoln/mks/ecoboost-trim/3-5l-v6-gas-engine/electrical-cat/headlamp-components-scat

#2 - "Sunshade"
The motor gears tend to strip over time, causing problems with operation of the sunshade.  Have not heard about side2side unevenness tho.
AA5Z-54402A34-C   Sunshade
PACKAGE TRAY
$982.87   $660.49   

QuotePower Sunshade

The power sunshade system consists of the following:

Sunshade switch
Sunshade module
Sunshade motor
Sunshade assembly
Pressing the sunshade switch (a single position, momentary contact, located next to the selector lever) sends a ground signal to the sunshade module. The sunshade module performs an auto up/auto down operation, depending on the current position of the sunshade. An auto up or auto down operation can be interrupted at any time by pressing the sunshade switch again. Pressing the sunshade switch again will cause the sunshade module to reverse the direction of the sunshade.

If the sunshade module senses the motor current draw has gone beyond 2.5A (obstruction), the sunshade module will remove power to the motor and the sunshade will stop.

When the selector lever is placed into the REVERSE position, the sunshade module receives a voltage signal from the backup lamp relay and the sunshade is lowered.

#3 - "Screech when starting"
usually, either the engine is already started, or the starter flexplate ring gear is not meshing properly.  More frequent failures in hot climates like yours in TX.  Sometimes the turbos will screech if the wheels or bearings are damaged, but I don't see that happening as startup.  Pulling the hoses off the turbos and inspecting is the way 2 go.  A faulty BOV may make some odd noises, you can check the orange seals on them, may be compromised.

#6 - "Active Suspension"
2010-12 definitely do not have one

QuoteFront Suspension
The front suspension consists of the following components:

Wheel bearing and wheel hubs
Wheel studs
Lower arms
Stabilizer bar
Stabilizer bar links
Struts
Springs
Wheel knuckles
The front suspension utilizes a MacPherson strut system.

This suspension system incorporates a strut assembly that takes the place of the upper arm and ball joint. The strut carries out the function of a shock absorber and is encompassed by a coil spring. The strut and spring assembly supports the weight of the vehicle and is also the pivot point for the steering knuckle. This system uses a lower control arm and ball joint for the lower (unloaded) pivot point of the steering knuckle.

Rear Suspension
The rear suspension consists of the following components:

Lower arm(s)
Shock absorber(s)
Spring(s)
Stabilizer bar(s)
Stabilizer bar link(s)
Trailing arm(s)
Toe link(s)
Upper arm(s)
Wheel bearing and wheel hub(s)
Wheel knuckle(s)
The rear suspension utilizes an independent short/long arm design. This suspension system incorporates a separate wheel knuckle for each wheel and allows the wheels to react to road imperfections independent of each other. This independent action offers improved isolation from the effects of jounce and rebound.

#7 - "Navigation"
Upgrade to Sync3 hardware/software.  That is your best bet, honestly.  Probably $600 in DIY parts + assembly + configuration time.  No cheap answer tho other than using phone nav.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Black Dream

Quote from: SHOdded on July 12, 2019, 06:47:31 AM
#1 - "City Lights"

From what I can tell by this diagram, there are only two bulbs in the MKS headlight.  One is the HID lamp, the other is at the outside corner for signaling.  There is nothing other than that.  Are you saying there is a 3rd lamp?  Can you provide a closeup of the headlight, and mark the exact area you are inquiring about?
https://parts.levittownfordparts.com/auto-parts/2011/lincoln/mks/ecoboost-trim/3-5l-v6-gas-engine/electrical-cat/headlamp-components-scat

#2 - "Sunshade"
The motor gears tend to strip over time, causing problems with operation of the sunshade.  Have not heard about side2side unevenness tho.
AA5Z-54402A34-C   Sunshade
PACKAGE TRAY
$982.87   $660.49   

QuotePower Sunshade

The power sunshade system consists of the following:

Sunshade switch
Sunshade module
Sunshade motor
Sunshade assembly
Pressing the sunshade switch (a single position, momentary contact, located next to the selector lever) sends a ground signal to the sunshade module. The sunshade module performs an auto up/auto down operation, depending on the current position of the sunshade. An auto up or auto down operation can be interrupted at any time by pressing the sunshade switch again. Pressing the sunshade switch again will cause the sunshade module to reverse the direction of the sunshade.

If the sunshade module senses the motor current draw has gone beyond 2.5A (obstruction), the sunshade module will remove power to the motor and the sunshade will stop.

When the selector lever is placed into the REVERSE position, the sunshade module receives a voltage signal from the backup lamp relay and the sunshade is lowered.

#3 - "Screech when starting"
usually, either the engine is already started, or the starter flexplate ring gear is not meshing properly.  More frequent failures in hot climates like yours in TX.  Sometimes the turbos will screech if the wheels or bearings are damaged, but I don't see that happening as startup.  Pulling the hoses off the turbos and inspecting is the way 2 go.  A faulty BOV may make some odd noises, you can check the orange seals on them, may be compromised.

#6 - "Active Suspension"
2010-12 definitely do not have one

QuoteFront Suspension
The front suspension consists of the following components:

Wheel bearing and wheel hubs
Wheel studs
Lower arms
Stabilizer bar
Stabilizer bar links
Struts
Springs
Wheel knuckles
The front suspension utilizes a MacPherson strut system.

This suspension system incorporates a strut assembly that takes the place of the upper arm and ball joint. The strut carries out the function of a shock absorber and is encompassed by a coil spring. The strut and spring assembly supports the weight of the vehicle and is also the pivot point for the steering knuckle. This system uses a lower control arm and ball joint for the lower (unloaded) pivot point of the steering knuckle.

Rear Suspension
The rear suspension consists of the following components:

Lower arm(s)
Shock absorber(s)
Spring(s)
Stabilizer bar(s)
Stabilizer bar link(s)
Trailing arm(s)
Toe link(s)
Upper arm(s)
Wheel bearing and wheel hub(s)
Wheel knuckle(s)
The rear suspension utilizes an independent short/long arm design. This suspension system incorporates a separate wheel knuckle for each wheel and allows the wheels to react to road imperfections independent of each other. This independent action offers improved isolation from the effects of jounce and rebound.

#7 - "Navigation"
Upgrade to Sync3 hardware/software.  That is your best bet, honestly.  Probably $600 in DIY parts + assembly + configuration time.  No cheap answer tho other than using phone nav.

Thanks for all of this.  The sunshade works great mechanically, it goes up and down just fine and automatically retracts if it's up when the car is put in reverse.  It's just the fabric that doesn't play nice, it kinda ends up all willy-nilly where it folds down.

The screech is definitely coming from the ignition side, it's not an engine noise.  It happens rarely any more as I've standardized the push button start procedure I use.

The navigation will stay the way it is for now I suppose.  I'll eventually break down and buy the LIncoln update at some point, Google works great but I really want the car nav as updated as possible without having to switch to a whole new Sync3.

And finally the lights.  Here's a picture for you, you can see the little tubular shaped light on the very left  of the lens closest to the grill.  I haven't checked the FSM for clarification of what it's purpose might be, I was hoping someone on here with an older MKS Eco could shed some light on this.  I should add that I have the Adaptive Headlights that turn from side to side when driving and do the same on start-up to show the driver they system's working properly.  I can't see any connection between that system and the mystery lights.

carlotlol by Tim Teague, on Flickr

SHOdded

Sure it's a light?  Do you have a front facing camera display in the center console.  Could be a sensor for adaptive headlights, but have not heard of those.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Black Dream

It looks just like a mini projector housing from the front but I haven't taken the bumper off to investigate further.  I'll be doing that Monday to replace the headlight bulbs so i'll have a better idea of what's in there then.  And no, no front facing camera just a backup camera.

SHOdded

Cool, might be a 2010 only thing unless these are custom assemblies.

Black Dream

Given the car was a 1 owner car owned by an older couple and it was bone stock when I bought it I highly doubt these are custom.  More answers to follow tomorrow.

Simonsays

I wondered the same thing on mine, it doesnt appear to have anything in there. I wondered if it was a parking sensor or adaptive cruise control, but came at a loss. The service manual doesnt list anything.

Even harder to tell with mine having black housing. I hate takinv bumpers off, there a lot of clips that always seem go break for me on every other attempt on previous cars.

Simonsays

Quote from: Black Dream on July 14, 2019, 09:36:07 AM
Given the car was a 1 owner car owned by an older couple and it was bone stock when I bought it I highly doubt these are custom.  More answers to follow tomorrow.

So... What did ya find? Curious members as myself are curious to find out (and.... Im lazy to dig further myself lol)

Black Dream

I haven't dug any deeper yet.  I bought new headlight bulbs that I'm going to install tomorrow if I have time.  I'll take the bumper off to replace them so I can get a good look at the whole light housing, if I come up with any new info I'll post it up here.  If I don't get to them tomorrow, I will for sure Friday morning.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

SCRWLOOSE26

Just out of curiosity. Did anyone ever figure out what those things were? Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO non-PP: 3 Bar Map, Rat Stat 170 Thermostat, SP-542 Plugs gapped .026, Gearhead AO Tune, PPE Catted Downpipes, MSD Coils, AEM Drop In, DiCunzolo Gen 2 Mounts