• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Shifter busted button ??

Started by TopherSho, July 04, 2019, 02:36:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TopherSho

I can't freaking win.. so the shifter wont come out park.  Something wrong with the link from the brake to the shifter pin.

Is it a solenoid?  I noticed after the first start up, that I could bump the shifter down from drive to manual without having to push the button on the trigger I think it's something to do with the linkage between the trigger and whatever is underneath it any thoughts?

Bone post sorry for brevity
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

TopherSho

Now it won't go into park, it registers all the other shifter postitions, r, d, m, n ... But park doesn't light up and it's a rollaway risk.   Taking it to Ford monday
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi

SHOdded

It doesn't go into park, or says shifter not in park?  2 different issues.  if it says not in park, but IS in park, replace the switch in the shifter assembly.  If really not in park, check the resistance values at the trans range sensor.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

No issues with start up! If so follow SHOdded advice ^^^ Z  :)

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

TopherSho

Thanks guys, the issue is you can put it into the park position and the sensor must not read it because the dashboard does not show it in park and if I take my foot off the brake it just rolls backwards or forwards depending on the incline

TopherSho

So just to clarify, the sensor controls the Transmissions engagement?  like if the shifter is physically in park it doesn't actually control any linkage it just controls a sending unit I'm assuming?? 

I'm was able to get it into neutral, so it'll start there but it will not start in 'park' .. is this safe to drive to the dealership to avoid $200 of Towing?? Or can that sending unit / sensor suddenly decide I need to be in park reverse and try to kill me???

SHOdded

The sensor is an aftereffect if you will to the physical state of gear.  It is a gateway to decisions the pcm and tcm make. 

So if the car is rolling, either the parking pawl is damaged (you do not use the parking brake?), or the trans shift linkage is out of position.  If it drives and otherwise behaves fine, I would lean to an internal issue, but visual inspection of the shift linkage first is necessary.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

TopherSho

yarp,  put it in park :

the P does not light up on the dashboard,  all other gears do. While in park it will roll forward or backward on a incline.  it will not let me shut the car off either.. it chimes and says shift to park.

all other gears act normally.

the button on the gearshift feels wrong.  when in park,  it wont come out of park correctly .. the button does not feel right and does not depress all the way, worse.  when i push on the brake.. i do not feel the 'click' in the button to tell me its ready to move.

if i stop/start the car a number of times with the shifter button pressed it eventually comes out of park .. i did that to get home on back-roads,  and left it in neutral for the possibility of a tow truck.

i would dearly love the tranny to be dead ... that would give me a full new power train .. except for the RDU ... which im sure will die in the next 6 months because of tuesdays/solar flares or taco's

SHOdded

https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,3836.msg79170.html#msg79170

I don't think this is the latest TSB, which requires only the replacement of the switch within the lever assembly, but I would have to look it up.
GG1Z-3F988-B

TopherSho

Quote from: SHOdded on July 07, 2019, 06:25:54 PM
https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,3836.msg79170.html#msg79170

I don't think this is the latest TSB, which requires only the replacement of the switch within the lever assembly, but I would have to look it up.
GG1Z-3F988-B

If the switch is what releases the button on the shifter when you press the brake pedal down, it might just be it I'm just too old for the TSB

SHOdded

Nah, a little time and patience is all that is required!