• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Change out headlamp bulb - MKS vs SHO???

Started by MeanKS, July 04, 2019, 10:28:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MeanKS

so my right side headlight is going in and out on the MKS.

called around a few places and the quotes for the MKS are like 6x higher than for the SHO!

like $350 vs $45???  just talking labor, not parts.

one guy said the MKS requires removal of the front bumper, another said it because the ballast for the Xenons requires much more time and its not the bumper???

I don't get it.

has anybody had this issue?  is it possible to DIY?

I searched youtube and could find nothing for the MKS, there was a couple on the Taurus and the guy made it look relatively simple.

Since they are the same platform, I don't understand why the labor cost are so different.
MKS-EB...

Agentlongwood

I know the MKS has the headlights that move automatically, when you turn... I don't think the SHO has that.  Honestly, I have no idea how to change the bulb on my MKS.  I've spent a decent amount of time under the hood, and I legit don't know how to access that.  If you do find out, come back here and do a write up!
2014 Lincoln MKS - Sold... And I still miss it sometimes

StinkinLinkin13

What year MKS? 13 and up don't require bumper cover removal. 09 -12 will.
Livernois Catless downpipes with Totalflow mufflers - AJP E40/Meth tune - Firestorm HPFP - DW 300 LPFP - Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump - 3 Bar Map - Alky Controls Meth Injection - 160° Thermostat - EPP Hot Pipes - AEM Dryflow Filter - BOV VTA - SSM Polyurethane Torque Struts - H&R Sport Springs - 20"x10" Niche Veronas on 275/40-20 DWS06 -

MeanKS

MKS-EB...

SHOdded

Officially, all years require bumper cover and headlamp assembly removal.  Passenger side may be especially true if there are A/C lines running on that side.  If not, you MAY be able to squeeze the bulb in and out of there.

2013+
NOTE: The headlamp bulb should not be removed from the headlamp assembly until just before a new bulb is installed. Removing the bulb for an extended period of time may affect headlamp bulb performance. Contaminants may enter the headlamp assembly where they can settle on the lens and reflector. Never turn on the headlamps with the bulb removed from the headlamp assembly.

Remove the headlamp assembly. For additional information, refer to Headlamp Assembly .
Remove the headlamp bulb access cover.
Remove the headlamp bulb.
Twist the bulb counter clockwise and pull it back.
Disconnect the electrical connector.

To install, reverse the removal procedure.

2010-12
NOTE: The headlamp bulb should not be removed from the headlamp assembly until just before a new bulb is installed. Removing the bulb for an extended period of time may affect headlamp bulb performance. Contaminants may enter the headlamp assembly where they can settle on the lens and reflector. Never turn on the headlamps with the bulb removed from the headlamp assembly.

Remove the headlamp assembly. For additional information, refer to Headlamp Assembly in this section.
Remove the headlamp bulb access cover.
Remove the 2 screws and the headlamp bulb.
Disconnect the electrical connector.

To install, reverse the removal procedure.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

StinkinLinkin13

I get all that... But as a mechanic I'm telling you it can be replaced without removing the bumper cover. As a matter of fact I changed BOTH of my headlights on the side of the road last Saturday on my way to the track. I had some cheap aftermarkets in and one failed after a hot restart. As I was retrying (on and off) the other other side failed too! I kept spares in my car just in case as I had one fail before. It Can be done. The connector on the 13 plus is much easier however. I may post a video later to show you how. Save some $$$...
Livernois Catless downpipes with Totalflow mufflers - AJP E40/Meth tune - Firestorm HPFP - DW 300 LPFP - Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump - 3 Bar Map - Alky Controls Meth Injection - 160° Thermostat - EPP Hot Pipes - AEM Dryflow Filter - BOV VTA - SSM Polyurethane Torque Struts - H&R Sport Springs - 20"x10" Niche Veronas on 275/40-20 DWS06 -

MeanKS

Quote from: StinkinLinkin13 on July 04, 2019, 06:12:37 PM
I get all that... But as a mechanic I'm telling you it can be replaced without removing the bumper cover. As a matter of fact I changed BOTH of my headlights on the side of the road last Saturday on my way to the track. I had some cheap aftermarkets in and one failed after a hot restart. As I was retrying (on and off) the other other side failed too! I kept spares in my car just in case as I had one fail before. It Can be done. The connector on the 13 plus is much easier however. I may post a video later to show you how. Save some $$$...

thanks man, I'd appreciate it.

Walmart auto wouldn't touch it and Pepboys was outrageous $$$.

BTW, what aftermarket bulbs did you get.

I'm looking at some RCPs 3DSs 8000K if i'm going to have to change them out anyway.  I think i'll prefer the bluish light vs the standard Xenons on our cars.
MKS-EB...

StinkinLinkin13

The RCPs look great but aren't very reliable... Thats what I had fail this weekend. I've gone through 2 sets in about 2 years... The Cougar brand seemed better but I traded my 09 in with them and don't know how long they lasted. Sorry ran out of time tonight with all the festivities... I'll post a video tomorrow afternoon. What year is your mks? If it's pre 13 it might just be best to remove the bumper cover. Still not an overwhelming job necessarily. Btw the 6k color is nice looking... Getting too blue starts loses effective light output

MeanKS

Quote from: StinkinLinkin13 on July 04, 2019, 11:31:35 PM
The RCPs look great but aren't very reliable... Thats what I had fail this weekend. I've gone through 2 sets in about 2 years... The Cougar brand seemed better but I traded my 09 in with them and don't know how long they lasted. Sorry ran out of time tonight with all the festivities... I'll post a video tomorrow afternoon. What year is your mks? If it's pre 13 it might just be best to remove the bumper cover. Still not an overwhelming job necessarily. Btw the 6k color is nice looking... Getting too blue starts loses effective light output
MKS-EB...

elund126

The driver's side headlight on my SHO was filling with condensation/water. I took the headlight assembly out, dried it out, and resealed it. I did have to take the bumper and grill off. It was frustrating, but, not too difficult.
2010 Tuxedo Black SHO
Windows Tinted, SP-534, 3-bar, Unleashed Tuning

Blackhawk

Bumper takes like 10 mins to pull anyways, not a big deal at all.

Simonsays

My mks had torx screws holding it in as I have adaptive turn lights. I used a socket and loosened them, and then finished with a magnetic tip. You then twist and shimmy up and out. I didnt take my bumper off, but felt like a chinese contortionist in the matter. Dri ers side required taking snorkle and filter box out. Heres how mine looked...

You also have to push the lower connector off, i used a needle nose.

The two torx at the top at each side loosened up, best of luck to ya!

MKS Tom

I will just replace all of the bulbs when I finally order a GH intercooler.  lol
2013 Lincoln MKS ecoboost, 70,000 miles.  3 bar map 93 tune (E30 in the future) by both AJP Turbo and Ortiz Performance.  PPE catted down pipes, EPP dual CAI (not yet installed so K&N drop in), .026 gapped SP542, 170 degree thermostat, Dynomax axlebacks, and Power Stop Z23 pads and rotors.

802SHO

Quote from: MKS Tom on July 31, 2019, 02:45:29 AM
I will just replace all of the bulbs when I finally order a GH intercooler.  lol

Good idea then you can take full advantage of going through the process of removing the front bumper.  I try to do this often....depending on what it is I may not wait for other parts as that leads to delays but it's nice to be efficient with your time and tackle a few items at once.
IG @802SHO 2010 SHO non PP, Tuned by AJP Turbo, 109 Octane + VP C85 for E30, Ported GH Gen 3 upgraded turbos, Ported 13+ Exhaust Manifolds, Custom FM IC TreadStone TR10C, EPP Hot Pipes, EPP Dual CAI, XDI35 HPFP, Deatschwerks 300C LPFP, Alky Control Methonal Injection, Alky dual nozzle upgrade, Zex Nitrous dual dry shots, Dicunzolo Gen2 torque mounts, MSD Coils, SP542 .026, 160 T, 3bar, Phenolic Spacer, Braille Lightweight Battery, Kirky Lightweight Racing Driver Seat, Catless Downpipes, custom stainless 2.5" double xpipe w/muffler deletes 4" quad tips, UPR Dual Valve Catch Can, 13+ PP Trans Cooler, Econoaid throttle Body Booster, Bravado Tribute 20x9.5 + 32 offset Wheels, Nitto NT555R Front Tires, Continental Extreme Contact DW Rear Tires and all are 275/35/20, H&R Springs all around w/rear cut 1/2", 1" hubcentric wheel spacers m14 1.5 stud/lug conversion, R1 Concepts Geomet slotted/drilled rotors with Heavy Duty Semi Metallic pads, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge.
Currently World's Fastest Ecoboost SHO
11.063 @ 123.17 MPH!  NED 10/10/20