• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Can catted down pipes general any smell?

Started by MKS Tom, June 21, 2019, 05:01:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHOdded

Would check the flex pipe for sure.  Common place for exhaust leaks esp when the exhaust system is disturbed, or with age.  Otherwise we are looking at the cabin exhaust flaps behind the rear bumper, and interaction with recirc mode on the climate control (if windows are closed).
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

MKS Tom

My guess is it is likely a normal smell that some people get or a leak that I cannot detect at idle.  I checked for leaks today from the PTU and don't see any.  I highly doubt a cat is going bad at the same time.  I do not believe it is the tune being too rich with me running the same tune switching plug gap (.030 to .026) and adding the pipes, but I am switching tuners regardless so that would answer that part.  I lean towards I am one of the people who is getting it for whatever reason as some do and some don't.  Next time I have it in the shop I will have everything checked for leaks in the exhaust, which should be soon as the dual CAI is done and I would rather pay my mechanic to install it.  lol 
2013 Lincoln MKS ecoboost, 70,000 miles.  3 bar map 93 tune (E30 in the future) by both AJP Turbo and Ortiz Performance.  PPE catted down pipes, EPP dual CAI (not yet installed so K&N drop in), .026 gapped SP542, 170 degree thermostat, Dynomax axlebacks, and Power Stop Z23 pads and rotors.

MKS Tom

I have a boost leak as I am set up for 17 psi on my tune and I am only getting 12-13 psi.  That is likely the cause.  I am going to try to source the leak soon.  If I cannot fix it myself it will wait to go back to my mechanic until the dual CAI comes in as I am going to have him do that for me anyways.  I am going to guess this is likely the smell, just have to source the leak with some soapy water. 
2013 Lincoln MKS ecoboost, 70,000 miles.  3 bar map 93 tune (E30 in the future) by both AJP Turbo and Ortiz Performance.  PPE catted down pipes, EPP dual CAI (not yet installed so K&N drop in), .026 gapped SP542, 170 degree thermostat, Dynomax axlebacks, and Power Stop Z23 pads and rotors.

ZSHO

I most recently installed the PPE Catted DP and can confirm that they do emitt a strong odor after performing a few pulls on the Highway! 
I dont recall that on my last set! Dunno.

I'm assuming because they are new and due to the high heat exhaust gases they will need to break in and monitor for any notable changes.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SM105K

"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

ZSHO

Quote from: SM105K on July 10, 2019, 02:51:13 PM
Those look good Z!
Thanks brother! Everything is new from Turbo to Flange/Flex pipe with no signs of visible leaks!   :)
I wish the Undercarriage was clean as yours! Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SM105K

Quote from: ZSHO on July 10, 2019, 03:24:30 PM
Quote from: SM105K on July 10, 2019, 02:51:13 PM
Those look good Z!
Thanks brother! Everything is new from Turbo to Flange/Flex pipe with no signs of visible leaks! Z  :)

Sweet. 
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

802SHO

I concur very nice replacement and in true OCD form.  Well done.
IG @802SHO 2010 SHO non PP, Tuned by AJP Turbo, 109 Octane + VP C85 for E30, Ported GH Gen 3 upgraded turbos, Ported 13+ Exhaust Manifolds, Custom FM IC TreadStone TR10C, EPP Hot Pipes, EPP Dual CAI, XDI35 HPFP, Deatschwerks 300C LPFP, Alky Control Methonal Injection, Alky dual nozzle upgrade, Zex Nitrous dual dry shots, Dicunzolo Gen2 torque mounts, MSD Coils, SP542 .026, 160 T, 3bar, Phenolic Spacer, Braille Lightweight Battery, Kirky Lightweight Racing Driver Seat, Catless Downpipes, custom stainless 2.5" double xpipe w/muffler deletes 4" quad tips, UPR Dual Valve Catch Can, 13+ PP Trans Cooler, Econoaid throttle Body Booster, Bravado Tribute 20x9.5 + 32 offset Wheels, Nitto NT555R Front Tires, Continental Extreme Contact DW Rear Tires and all are 275/35/20, H&R Springs all around w/rear cut 1/2", 1" hubcentric wheel spacers m14 1.5 stud/lug conversion, R1 Concepts Geomet slotted/drilled rotors with Heavy Duty Semi Metallic pads, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge.
Currently World's Fastest Ecoboost SHO
11.063 @ 123.17 MPH!  NED 10/10/20

ZSHO

Thanks for the kind words Fellas!  :) Bit of extra TLC goes a long way IMO!

The SHO feels much smoother than before especially on a cold morning startup @ idle and probably due to the new Gaskets,hardware and 02's all around!

Good rule of thumb DO NOT RE-USE OLD Gaskets as mentioned a while back as they are only for one time use only!

To the OP did not mean to Hi-jack your thread. Z 

MKS Tom

I haven't noticed anything in 2 weeks.  I thought possibly I had a boost leak at one of the charge pipes that I disconnected to access the rear plugs was a cause of it.  Regardless, it has not smelled in a while.  Hopefully it stays that way. 

ZSHO

I can officially say that after a couple weeks of the PPE DP INSTALL the smell completely dissipated and smells like fresh Roses with a hint of the new car smell once again! Z  :)

MKS Tom

Mine has gone away too.  They are awesome pipes so I am glad it was not a long-term thing.

AJP turbo

Quote from: MKS Tom on July 25, 2019, 03:22:49 AM
Mine has gone away too.  They are awesome pipes so I am glad it was not a long-term thing.

What do you contribute the smell going away to?
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

MKS Tom

Quote from: AJP turbo on July 25, 2019, 01:58:48 PM

I am assuming it was gasket material as ZSHO alluded to.  I'm not sure exactly. I did notice that the charge pipe was not put back flush against (thought I had it very tight) from when I had removed it to gain access to the rear plugs when I changed them all the night before dropping it off to have my mechanic install the downpipes.  I doubt it was that, but I do think it seemed stronger when I had the AC on too on those few times I had happen and less of a smell when it was off.  Who knows.   The first night I had pulled logs for you I had ran logs on the other tune and didn't notice it, but that was an very long night as I ran those logs, returned to stock, took 3 hours for the update the SCT, loaded your tune, and ran logs.  All the while trying not to hit deer or alert my local police with my excess speeding at 4-5 am to get log info.  lol 

ZSHO

Quote from: MKS Tom on July 26, 2019, 04:45:11 AM
Quote from: AJP turbo on July 25, 2019, 01:58:48 PM

I am assuming it was gasket material as ZSHO alluded to.  I'm not sure exactly. I did notice that the charge pipe was not put back flush against (thought I had it very tight) from when I had removed it to gain access to the rear plugs when I changed them all the night before dropping it off to have my mechanic install the downpipes.  I doubt it was that, but I do think it seemed stronger when I had the AC on too on those few times I had happen and less of a smell when it was off.  Who knows.   The first night I had pulled logs for you I had ran logs on the other tune and didn't notice it, but that was an very long night as I ran those logs, returned to stock, took 3 hours for the update the SCT, loaded your tune, and ran logs.  All the while trying not to hit deer or alert my local police with my excess speeding at 4-5 am to get log info.  lol
They needed some time to "break in" as these are catted DP that's all! Z