• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Can catted down pipes general any smell?

Started by MKS Tom, June 21, 2019, 05:01:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MKS Tom

I recently installed PPE catted down pipes on my MKS.  I have noticed a few times at night an off-putting smell on a WOT pull since they have been on.  I know smells are associated with catless, but mine are catted.  I don't think it is my tune being too rich.  I doubt at it is a failing PTU or cat as it only started the when these were installed, the first night I thought it was a skunk as I live in a rural area so I didn't associate it with the car and I have no mechanical issues doing on.  Car shifts and runs just fine.  It only seems when I get on it and thus far I have only noticed it at night as I work 2nd shift.  If it is a byproduct of them then so be it, but just trying to narrow it down.  Thank you for any input. 
2013 Lincoln MKS ecoboost, 70,000 miles.  3 bar map 93 tune (E30 in the future) by both AJP Turbo and Ortiz Performance.  PPE catted down pipes, EPP dual CAI (not yet installed so K&N drop in), .026 gapped SP542, 170 degree thermostat, Dynomax axlebacks, and Power Stop Z23 pads and rotors.

802SHO

Are you smelling it in the cabin or after parking it and shutting it off?  New exhaust piping generally has a slight odor to it as it gets hot, I could understand if you smelled it after parking it.  After just a few days it should dissipate. 
IG @802SHO 2010 SHO non PP, Tuned by AJP Turbo, 109 Octane + VP C85 for E30, Ported GH Gen 3 upgraded turbos, Ported 13+ Exhaust Manifolds, Custom FM IC TreadStone TR10C, EPP Hot Pipes, EPP Dual CAI, XDI35 HPFP, Deatschwerks 300C LPFP, Alky Control Methonal Injection, Alky dual nozzle upgrade, Zex Nitrous dual dry shots, Dicunzolo Gen2 torque mounts, MSD Coils, SP542 .026, 160 T, 3bar, Phenolic Spacer, Braille Lightweight Battery, Kirky Lightweight Racing Driver Seat, Catless Downpipes, custom stainless 2.5" double xpipe w/muffler deletes 4" quad tips, UPR Dual Valve Catch Can, 13+ PP Trans Cooler, Econoaid throttle Body Booster, Bravado Tribute 20x9.5 + 32 offset Wheels, Nitto NT555R Front Tires, Continental Extreme Contact DW Rear Tires and all are 275/35/20, H&R Springs all around w/rear cut 1/2", 1" hubcentric wheel spacers m14 1.5 stud/lug conversion, R1 Concepts Geomet slotted/drilled rotors with Heavy Duty Semi Metallic pads, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge.
Currently World's Fastest Ecoboost SHO
11.063 @ 123.17 MPH!  NED 10/10/20

ZSHO

Have you also used the A/C Prior to Key OFF!  Its been quite humid the past week along with new pipes. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

Recheck the bolts and studs, could be loose.  May need to double gasket.  Also check the flex pipes for cracks.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

shoNoff

I run ssw catted downpipes. I've been running them for roughly 13k miles with stock cat back. Never had a funny smell from them.
2013 SHO PP 12.51 @ 110.07 AJP tuned sold
2016 edge sport 13.92 @ 99.4 mph. slow and stock baby mobile

MKS Tom

In the cabin.  I usually let my remote start let the car idle for a few minutes before leaving work, AC on.  Bolts seem fine and I don't believe I have an exhaust leak as it sound just as it did prior. 
2013 Lincoln MKS ecoboost, 70,000 miles.  3 bar map 93 tune (E30 in the future) by both AJP Turbo and Ortiz Performance.  PPE catted down pipes, EPP dual CAI (not yet installed so K&N drop in), .026 gapped SP542, 170 degree thermostat, Dynomax axlebacks, and Power Stop Z23 pads and rotors.

MKS Tom

I had my mechanic install them.  I provided new gaskets, bolts, studs, etc as well as the provided gaskets and bolts from PPE.  It's weird I don't notice it at all while normal driving or even in the day, but I also don't recall really getting on it during the day since they have been installed either.  It's always at night as I get off at 1 am.  Same pattern.  If I drove home normal, I don't get the smell.  It's not every day. 

MKS Tom

I live only 4 miles from work.  When it's been noticed, it has been on a WOT on a back road shortly after leaving work.  When I get home I can't smell anything outside the vehicle and it has already dissipated inside the cabin.  It's just a quick awful scent from that pull, not even sure if it has been on every time I have gotten on it but it doesn't show up under a normal drive home.  No CEL from these pipes and it is under the same tune revision as prior. 

shoNoff

Who is your tuner? I'd have them update the tune for the pipes. It will make a difference.

MKS Tom

I am going to be switching to Brad shortly.  Not looking to bash the tuner.  I don't think that is the issue, but I was never told one way or the other if my regular datalogs or the idle log I sent indicated anything problematic.  I don't believe it is the tune, but I do not know that kind of stuff.  I don't wish to have "tuner" drama in any way. 

shoNoff

Quote from: MKS Tom on June 21, 2019, 03:16:34 PM
I am going to be switching to Brad shortly.  Not looking to bash the tuner.  I don't think that is the issue, but I was never told one way or the other if my regular datalogs or the idle log I sent indicated anything problematic.  I don't believe it is the tune, but I do not know that kind of stuff.  I don't wish to have "tuner" drama in any way.

I can speculate who it is by your answer. I wasn't bashing your tuner at all. The tune needs to be updated with the pipes on. That is what I was getting at. I have both AJP and Unleashed tunes for my car. Both updated the tunes when I put the pipes on. Neither tune has a smell and both run really well.

ZSHO

I would check n inspect the under-carriage or engine bay for any visual signs of any leaks! Check the oil level for a peace of mind! I know the PTU FLUID can smell downright Bad! TOL. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

MKS Tom

Quote from: shoNoff on June 21, 2019, 03:56:50 PM
Quote from: MKS Tom on June 21, 2019, 03:16:34 PM

I can speculate who it is by your answer. I wasn't bashing your tuner at all. The tune needs to be updated with the pipes on. That is what I was getting at. I have both AJP and Unleashed tunes for my car. Both updated the tunes when I put the pipes on. Neither tune has a smell and both run really well.

It was the most professional way I could think of to answer it without ignoring the question as others would want to know that. I will say that I never contacted another tuner prior until 2 days ago or even had sent them as much as an email or DM. I think Facebook is great to meet others whom are into the platform but it also creates drama and this constant paranoia of "tuner wars" where fake accounts chirp about nonsense and people get real weird pretty fast for no apparent reason.

MKS Tom

Quote from: ZSHO on June 21, 2019, 04:28:53 PM
I would check n inspect the under-carriage or engine bay for any visual signs of  any leaks! Check the oil level for a peace of mind! I know the PTU FLUID can smell downright Bad! TOL. Z

It is certainly possible and thankfully I have a warranty if that is the case.

I don't believe it is though as I didn't see a leak and the timing of this lined up with these being installed.

Also, the smell isn't often and seems to only be at WOT. Also my ride home is short and it's no less than 5 minutes and no more than 10 minutes after I smell it I am in my driveway. I have went on the ground after I got home and couldn't smell it. That would indicate it was a gas rather than burning oil but who knows.

CroR1