• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Another take on the RX Catch can install-new can location(standard can)

Started by Colorado-SHOBro, January 27, 2017, 09:30:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colorado-SHOBro

Wanted to share this as i did my setup a little different than i've seen thus far(Think everybody's setup is a little unique at least). This is in no way meant to be a "how-to" or writeup as it's been overdone already . . . just putting it out their in case someone attempting install wants to replicate the setup. I recommend reading all the How-to's to get familiar with all the different mounting/routing options.
Jimi-Jak thread (this is actually his can i purchased used,thanks JJ!)
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,2536.0.html
MiWiAu thread -This was a great solution for a vacuum source without drilling,just use BOV with PCV elbow. Also provides a handy diagram for transverse applications.I followed it directly
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,6716.0.html

Glock-coma also had a nice install of a monster can on driver's side fender on a SHO (reference Jim-Jak's thread post #75). This option was in my back pocket if the pass. side didn't work out.
To re-iterate i installed the STANDARD can in the passenger side and it was tight, no way a monster can would fit in the spot i put mine.

Anyway, thanks to all the members who posted info about this OCC-it was extremely helpful!

Goals for my install:
Mount can in passenger side front bumper-I wanted as little hose running around the car as possible and majority of the OEM fittings are pass. side so this made sense to me.

Keep an option to remove the RX Clean side separator/oil cap and replace OEM oil cap and clean side line for dealer visits.

As little drilling as possible- mainly i didn't want to drill the rear turbo charge pipe. I was ok doing the airbox but still made efforts to make that discreet and retain an OEM look when i remove the barb fitting and have the factory clean side fittings on to take it in for warranty work.

Find a convenient drain location and easy to use(as in i can drain it without raising the car) valve that wasn't bulky or heavy. I didn't want to use the big heavy copper valves i had seen used before and the location didn't provide a lot of clearance for fittings/adapters etc. I was very happy with how the drain setup worked out.

1st location fitting- Found this existing bolt on the front bumper support. I had to ream out the bracket hole just a bit to get it to fully seat against the bumper stud and also had to drill a new hole in the RX bracket(above the sliding section) to get the can positioned just the way i wanted. Overall finding the location was pretty easy. This pic is before i drilled the additional hole for the can

Installed with 8mm nut

Ended up cutting a small triangular tab from the washer res. it was rubbing up on the can just a little.You can barely see the nub from it in this pic towards the top of the can

Next was figuring out the drain setup. I used this barbed drain fitting i got from an RV store in town. I was stoked to find this thing in town! it worked flawlessly.Just hoping it stays out of harms way whe i'm driving around in a foot of snow.

On to drilling the airbox for CSS hose.I used a 3/8" barb fitting with 3/8" grommet instead of threaded fitting provided in the kit. Just looked a little cleaner than a threaded/barb fitting

Can't see it from the top when installed without the barb

Then just routing the lines from can according to the diagram.

From OEM ports down to can

And single hose for charge pipes over to driver side T fitting

T fitting under T stat housing. I will cap off the front fitting when i want to re-install the factory Clean side tube and oil cap.

and rear BOV connection up to T

Then front OEM fitting for 2nd vacuum source under boost

And link with more pics
http://s749.photobucket.com/user/04nutzer/slideshow/
That's all i got! After running around and getting all the parts and fittings the install really didn't take long. Happy my big assed b*tch is breathin a little better now!

11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

SHOdded

Detailed and informative, bravo!  Should at least tack on a mention in JJs thread.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: SHOdded on January 27, 2017, 10:53:55 PM
Detailed and informative, bravo!  Should at least tack on a mention in JJs thread.
see you did me that favor. thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

Excellent writeup indeed and keep us updated on the end results.  Z  :thumb:

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

MiWiAu

2013 XSport

glock-coma

Nice job, looks like there's plenty of room in the passenger side too.
One note, I would watch the long term durability of that clear drain hose and shutoff valve. Neither of which look like they'd rated for Oil/gas.
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: glock-coma on January 28, 2017, 09:35:53 AM
One note, I would watch the long term durability of that clear drain hose and shutoff valve. Neither of which look like they'd rated for
Oil/gas.
absolutely. i knew that when installing. i think the valve should be fine, or if i have to replace the $5 part every year or so i'm fine with that. and the clear hose is temporary just so i can see what i'm catching and develop a drain interval pattern. im also temporarily using clear hose on the CSS as well to see if i get any oil pushing out towards the air box. if i see any accumulation i'll put a check valve in line and replace the clear piece.

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

glock-coma

Quote from: Colorado-SHOBro on January 28, 2017, 09:42:19 AM
Quote from: glock-coma on January 28, 2017, 09:35:53 AM
One note, I would watch the long term durability of that clear drain hose and shutoff valve. Neither of which look like they'd rated for
Oil/gas.
absolutely. i knew that when installing. i think the valve should be fine, or if i have to replace the $5 part every year or so i'm fine with that. and the clear hose is temporary just so i can see what i'm catching and develop a drain interval pattern. im also temporarily using clear hose on the CSS as well to see if i get any oil pushing out towards the air box. if i see any accumulation i'll put a check valve in line and replace the clear piece.

Great idea then,  especially on the css.
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

6500rpm

Thanks for the write up, I just ordered a  can fro McNally yesterday. One question to you and the membership. When I contacted McNally about which can was recommended for my 13 SHO they said not to go with the Clean Side Separator but it looks like damn near everyone's sig line that shows the RX can also shows the CSS used. Thoughts?
2013 SHO PP in Ruby Red Metallic, GTG Billet Grills, Duraflex Racer Chin Spoiler, DriveBright LED Driving/Turn Lights,160 T Stat, MSD Coils, All Royal Purple Lubricants, EPP Gen 2 Duel Intake and hotpipes,3 bar, Gearhead AO tuned!

MiWiAu

Quote from: 6500rpm on January 28, 2017, 12:03:37 PM
Thanks for the write up, I just ordered a  can fro McNally yesterday. One question to you and the membership. When I contacted McNally about which can was recommended for my 13 SHO they said not to go with the Clean Side Separator but it looks like damn near everyone's sig line that shows the RX can also shows the CSS used. Thoughts?

IMO, removing the valve cover to intake piping connection removes any chance of oil being sucked into the intake when under boost.

Did they give a reason why the CSS is not recommended for your application?

2013 XSport

6500rpm

This was the response on the CSS.

"With a 3.5L you should be able to get by with a regular size catch can. I imagine with the engine bay finding room for the catch can will be a problem so a regular will be better that a monster size.
As to the Clean Side Separator I would suggest waiting on that purchase. I personally would not get one. The CSS works on the air flow and with a twin turbo the air flow may be too much for a Clean Side Separator. Again, just my opinion. A CSS is not needed for the Catch Can operation. It is just an optional purchase. Some will say that they are needed and they are not. It is just an additional way to filter blow by. Has nothing to do with the actual Catch Can operational.
For model numbers:
MI1028-9 This is just the catch can and comes with all you need for installation."

Very interested in your results Colorado-SHOBro.  By choosing the can location that you did, it may give the air some additional time to cool down and reduce the velocity giving it a better chance to condense and catch the vapors.
2013 SHO PP in Ruby Red Metallic, GTG Billet Grills, Duraflex Racer Chin Spoiler, DriveBright LED Driving/Turn Lights,160 T Stat, MSD Coils, All Royal Purple Lubricants, EPP Gen 2 Duel Intake and hotpipes,3 bar, Gearhead AO tuned!

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: 6500rpm on January 28, 2017, 06:13:27 PM
This was the response on the CSS.

"With a 3.5L you should be able to get by with a regular size catch can. I imagine with the engine bay finding room for the catch can will be a problem so a regular will be better that a monster size.
As to the Clean Side Separator I would suggest waiting on that purchase. I personally would not get one. The CSS works on the air flow and with a twin turbo the air flow may be too much for a Clean Side Separator. Again, just my opinion. A CSS is not needed for the Catch Can operation. It is just an optional purchase. Some will say that they are needed and they are not. It is just an additional way to filter blow by. Has nothing to do with the actual Catch Can operational.
For model numbers:
MI1028-9 This is just the catch can and comes with all you need for installation."

Very interested in your results Colorado-SHOBro.  By choosing the can location that you did, it may give the air some additional time to cool down and reduce the velocity giving it a better chance to condense and catch the vapors.
ill keep posting my results. 1st day of install i just installed the dirty side lines+can+ only ONE vacuum source(being the rear BOV port). so basically the setup i would have going to the dealer with factory clean side hose and factory oil cap. i then drove maybe 80ish miles and removed cap from the bottom of the can and this came out. it was almost all water it seemed

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

Colorado-SHOBro

also regarding the css operation- rx moves the fresh air source to the air box so because it's a lower source of vacuum and wouldn't overpower vacuum to the can.

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

MiWiAu

Quote from: Colorado-SHOBro on January 28, 2017, 07:24:42 PM
also regarding the css operation- rx moves the fresh air source to the air box so because it's a lower source of vacuum and wouldn't overpower vacuum to the can.

Correct. Although, I vented my CSS to atmosphere and used a press on breather filter. I didn't want to drill my air box lid.

2013 XSport