• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Explorer Sport w/ Lund tune

Started by Ryan327, July 11, 2013, 10:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan327

So I jumped in the pre order for this tune a month ago pretty blind but have been happy with the results over the past week of driving it...well initial dyno numbers are out and look good, going to really improve once the new race tune and improved 93 octane tune rolls out!  Figured I'd share this for any sport owners looking for tune options!

93 octane vs stock

93 octane race tune in initial testing
2013 Ford Explorer Sport - Lund Racing 93 Tune
2010 Audi A4 - APR Stage 1 Tune
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix - Too much to list but still slow!

jdeprato

Torque FTW! I love me some torque now don't cha know!
-2007 Chevy Trailblazer SS (mods to come!)
-2011 SHO Sold!
-2006 GTO (some mods)
-2006 Mazda Mazdaspeed 6 (some mods)

Ryan327

My whole mindset is that anytime you see more torque then hp good things are coming :)

I'm rarely racing and going up to the red line so the mountain of torque down low is exactly what I want!

shoman04

Quote from: RedRocket327 on July 13, 2013, 08:04:47 PM
My whole mindset is that anytime you see more torque then hp good things are coming :)

I'm rarely racing and going up to the red line so the mountain of torque down low is exactly what I want!
1st time hearing of LUND TUNE here on the forum.
1)HOW DO YOU LIKE IT?
2)IS THE SPORT THE ONLY EcoBoost THEY TUNE?
3) HOW DID YOU HEAR ABOUT THEM?
4)HOW MUCH DIFFERENT IS THE SPORT CHASIE TO THE FLEX/MKT/MKS/or SHO? PIC PLEASE!!!
5)HOW DOES THE SPORT WT?
2011 KONA BLU SHO,Livernois Tune,AIRAID CAI,DYNOMAX MUFFLEs,Newest member of the 12sec CLUB 12.669sec @ 107mph    2011 Ford Taurus SHO: 12.669 @ 105.050 MPH NEW FOR 2013LMS down-pipe,Magnaflow X-pipe,and Custom 2.5"exhaust pipe!! Meth and stage 5 next to be install!!!!!! METH DYNO TUNE today 405AWHP!!!WOW LMS track day 12.4209sec   :mike1:

shoman04

REDROCKET. I see on LUND web that they don't tune another EcoBoost but they are BIG in to MUSTANG's!!! I have a friend at work who have 4.6L MUSTANG THAT HATES THE FACT THAT MY TAURUS HAS MORE HP THAN HIS MUSTANG. HE SAID THAT THATS JUST WRONG. So that why LUND don't tune SHO, They can't have a TAURUS FASTER THAN THEIR MUSTANG'S!!!!!!!! :bangin:   :LOL  :biggrin:They look like they are great company welcome to our forum.
2011 SHO world's fastest (tune only) vs 5.0 kona blu MUSTANG
2011 KONA BLU SHO,Livernois Tune,AIRAID CAI,DYNOMAX MUFFLEs,Newest member of the 12sec CLUB 12.669sec @ 107mph    2011 Ford Taurus SHO: 12.669 @ 105.050 MPH NEW FOR 2013LMS down-pipe,Magnaflow X-pipe,and Custom 2.5"exhaust pipe!! Meth and stage 5 next to be install!!!!!! METH DYNO TUNE today 405AWHP!!!WOW LMS track day 12.4209sec   :mike1:

Ryan327

Ken with Lund Racing is over on explorer forums and put out info on their upcoming tune and pre order and with some research I decided to give it a shot even though no numbers other then a 13.5 1/4 mile were posted.

I'm very happy with the tune and think it's going to get a few big improvements over the next few months and even longer since Ken has one as a daily driver and will keep refining the tune.  Lund is well known for tuning twin turbo and supercharged mustangs but this is their first noncunstom tune on another vehicle.  They are planning to release tunes for all other eco boost vehicles once they get this one worked out . 

The explorer and Taurus are pretty much the exact same chasss and engine layout so things will carry over fast.  I think they are focusing on the f150 fist though since that is by far the largest market.  I don't think they have any issues with a SHO outrunning a mustang , maybe more of a ford worry.  Right now he's already ran 13.5 in street trim, full weight ( little over 5000 lb ) sport and things with the new track tune could drop a few more tenths, possibly high 12s if the traction, awd / wheel hop issues get worked out

Like I said, good things are coming!

This is the original 93 octane tune which is the first dyno graph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTStZC9xvo0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_mlgxR-5Wg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Once the race tune gets sorted out he's going to detune it and rerelease a higher powered 93 octane tune :)

Ryan327

I've now been running Ken's SuperSport tune all day today and wow......it's fast (for a 5000lb SUV with no other mods). The only issue seen is with coupling/wheel hop in sand mode but everything else seems good so far, albeit a short test.

Part throttle response in both the 93 and SuperSport are amazing compared to stock with the SS taking to another level. Up on the top end of the 93 tune the gains were noticable but nothing like the down low improvements, with the SS tune it's definately more noticeable in how it continues to pull a bit more.

I think the top end is where future tunes will shine as turbos get upgraded, meth comes into play, and all the other odds and ends that will let the engine breathe more. But all that said, I'm VERY happy with the gains in all Ken's tunes on an otherwise stock vehicle.

I'm not planning on modding much further anytime soon so other than a new thermostat, i'll probably sit tight for awhile until a better IC comes out or I get the itch to install meth.

As Ken refines these tunes I only see better things to come.

As a side note, I took my wife out for a drive and then let her take it for a spin and she was a bit nervious, so the SS may not be for everyone. The lack of torque management and the brute force of how the torque comes in can be a bit shocking. I launched it after brake boosting it up to around 2200 and she said "what the hell was that?!??!?"   

I'll post more up later after I get some more time behind the wheel with it.

VID_20130724_143953.mp4

Seems right at 5.0 0-60, pretty quick for 5000lbs of truck.

commoncents

what are pros/cons of the Lund and Livernois tunes for XSport?   I've read there may be some issues with both of them after a bit?   

any updates?

I may be picking up an Xsport this weekend.

SwampRat

Quote from: commoncents on March 07, 2014, 10:24:39 PM
what are pros/cons of the Lund and Livernois tunes for XSport?   I've read there may be some issues with both of them after a bit?   

any updates?

I may be picking up an Xsport this weekend.

I would check out the Posts of BigMoneyCloser and his heavily modified X Sport with Livernois Tune .  I would say he is in love with it    ! !
That being said Torrie at Unleashed Tuning  is in pretty heavy on the 3.5 EB as well .
I love his Tunes and customer service .....

Not  familiar with LUND .. no one that I know of on EBPF uses him ...
2013 SHO  ....  not mine anymore

2021 Edge ST

bigmoneycloser

I have LMS tune for 8k miles and have Zero issues at all! And truck is insane with the LMS tune...
Highly recommend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 Explorer Sport 401A
22x10.5 Vossen CVT- powder coated Matte Graphite
Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico 285/35/22
H & R lowering springs/LMS 93 high boost/AirAid CAI/170* thermostat/3 Bar Map Sensor/Full LED interior /HID head and fog lights/weather tech digital floor mats/SharkFin antena/custom Billet foot pedals/Wilwood big brake kit/ LMS-Corsa CatBack Exhaust/LMS Catted Downpipes

Ryan327

I really can't compare the two tunes since I've never had a LMS tune, but the Lund tune is legit.  The SuperSport high boost tune hasn't been rereleased still from Lund and hoping i'll hear back from them on when since I'm really missing the extra torque. 

The flipside is that LMS never even got their high boost tune out and haven't been able to work out their surging/stuttering issues...

bigmoneycloser

Quote from: Ryan327 on March 07, 2014, 10:36:20 PM
I really can't compare the two tunes since I've never had a LMS tune, but the Lund tune is legit.  The SuperSport high boost tune hasn't been rereleased still from Lund and hoping i'll hear back from them on when since I'm really missing the extra torque. 

The flipside is that LMS never even got their high boost tune out and haven't been able to work out their surging/stuttering issues...

No offense!!!But
This statement is not true!
Im have been running a 93 performance high boost tune from LMS since day one!
I have Zero and I say again Zero surging/stuttering issues.
The only tune they had any issues with was the "XV1" which was a highly aggressive tune and they said they ran out of fuel to run the tune.

2014 Explorer Sport 401A
22x10.5 Vossen CVT- powder coated Matte Graphite
Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico 285/35/22
H & R lowering springs/LMS 93 high boost/AirAid CAI/170* thermostat/3 Bar Map Sensor/Full LED interior /HID head and fog lights/weather tech digital floor mats/SharkFin antena/custom Billet foot pedals/Wilwood big brake kit/ LMS-Corsa CatBack Exhaust/LMS Catted Downpipes

SwampRat

not saying its not legit , just not familiar with it ... most here use livernois or unleashed
2013 SHO  ....  not mine anymore

2021 Edge ST

Ryan327

I didn't mean that as a knock against you, just that the tune is also gtg but I can't offer a good comparison since I haven't even rode in a LMS tuned car.  The numbers and times from both look like they are really in the same ballpark.

But if LMS still hasn't worked out the surging I'd be worried.   Not being a Lund Fanboy since their customer service/response has been slow and unresponsive.  2/22 ish the SS tune was supposed to come out, ever since, not a single response to my emails...

Ryan327

Quote from: bigmoneycloser on March 07, 2014, 10:40:24 PM

No offense!!!But
This statement is not true!
Im have been running a 93 performance high boost tune from LMS since day one!
I have Zero and I say again Zero surging/stuttering issues.
The only tune they had any issues with was the "XV1" which was a highly aggressive tune and they said they ran out of fuel to run the tune.

I guess I should have checked my verbage, they had the XV1 tune and kept talking it up, then it went kaput.  And there are plenty of people over on explorer forums who are still claiming surging issues.