• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Custom Built CAI! (Installed 08/06/13)

Started by bpd1151, June 26, 2013, 03:32:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adelsin

I guess ill hold off on that too.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk 2

2013 Green Gem SHO PP, all available options.

bpd1151

Install scheduled for Tuesday, August 6th, 2013.

I decided since my retro check was hung up due to an unfortunate, self-inflicted death of one of my agency's Supervisor's, which caused HR Staff to hold off on tabulating hours accrued etc......

That I'm going to go ahead and install this piece separate from the turbo upgrades that I plan on hopefully ordering within the next week, or two.

This way, my mechanic pal and I can kind of poke around while in/over/under the car, we can see what exactly is involved with the R&R'ing of the turbos themselves.

I'll post up some post-install pics of this new Custom Fab'd CAI once install's complete.

Just wanted to keep the community updated.

SHOdded

Sorry to hear about the supervisor, Mike.  Condolences to their family.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

bpd1151

Quote from: SHOdded on August 01, 2013, 07:16:17 PMSorry to hear about the supervisor, Mike.  Condolences to their family.

Yea, definitely was a total shock. Had to cut my vacation short in order to return for the services. Cop suicide's are often a hush hush, taboo topic.

But alas, life goes on. Always does.

Anyhow, retro checks were expected tomorrow, but we recv'd notification that not everybody's hours were finished, and they want to issue them (the retro checks) all at once (agency wide).

Therefore, we were told to expect them sometime next week. So meh....

Either way, i'm excited about to see this aspect of the project come to fruition.

After all, it's been like 5/6 weeks since it was powder coated.

Granted I was on vacation for 4 weeks, so that was a chunk of that time, but either way, glad to have a tangible date scheduled for installation.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

DJE624

We'll be looking forward to seeing it in.  That white ought to really set things off under the hood! 

bpd1151

Woo Hoo!  :yell:

Finally got around to installing my custom fabricated and powder coated CAI.

Haven't gotten a whole helluva lot of driving time into it, but for the short duration I have driven from my mechanic's shop, back to my residence, I was pleasantly surprised to have seen my MPG increase between .4-.5 p/gal.

Certainly an unintended by product of this particular set up.

Another thing I've pleasantly noticed is that the "woosh" noise is MUCH more pronounced than with the combo of the Airaid bolt on, and the OEM plumbing.

Seat of the pants seems a bit more responsive as well.

I still have yet to get a newly revised dyno tune, but I don't plan too, until I get the upgraded turbo's ordered and installed.

So anyhow, I couldn't believe how restrictive the factory plumbing is that feeds each of the turbo's.

Particularly the plumbing leading back to the rear turbo was even more receded than I had expected. Not only that, but there were also several indents, bumps, and what not, all throughout the factory plumbing.

I was left scratching my head as to how this could even be remotely considered anything but sub-par air delivery to each turbo.  :doh:

I figured each of you would like to see what the hell the factory plumbing looked like (besides the completed install pics) therefore, I took the time to clean up the factory plumbing and snap off a few pics for each of your inquiring minds......

Here's two different shots of the (factory) piping that feeds the rear turbo:

Here are two shots of the (factory) plumbing that feeds the front turbo:

Here's two shots of the (factory) piping that is pre-throttle body, including the "noise maker" contraption that flares off from same:

I also had to remove the bottom tray / support thingy for the factory airbox (in order to route the corrugated tubing that acts as the 3rd source for fresh air). This it what it looks like removed:

Just a heads up, I will also be placing up for sale my Airaid CAI and will entertain all reasonable offers. When time permits, I'm sure I'll create a "For Sale" thread:

Finally, here are the COMPLETED INSTALL PICS:

Hope ya'll enjoyed the pics, as well as the updates!  :punk:

Mike :beer:

SHOdded

Great to hear the new piping paid off, Mike!  Only to our benefit that Ford has left so much on the table.  Would love to hear some sound clips too :)
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

geswek

Looks good Mike.

How's she sound?

Sent from a mobile, I think.

mjhpadi

Looks great, also sounds like it is much less restrictive since you are already seeing a slight increase in mpg and a bit more responsiveness.
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

EcoPowerParts

Looks awesome! I'll be dropping my car off after my son goes back to college on 8/22 to I have the third car available to start the prototyping work. :)
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

DJE624

It came out really nice Mike.  Of course I love the white. 

darreli

Looks good Mike...but why's it under "exhaust"?

Shonuff1140

Really makes the engine bay look awesome.

bpd1151

Quote from: darreli on August 06, 2013, 10:46:41 PMLooks good Mike...but why's it under "exhaust"?

Ummm... well, didn't see any other applicable section for it to have been placed under.

Under 'Exhaust' it reads.... "Headers, Mufflers, Etc."

Since all of those things have to do with the movement of air, I figured wth.

But glad you like it, and I agree with the additional comments posted, it certainly does lend itself to some degree of visual eye candy under the hood for sure.

Look'n forward to w/e performance improvements it may provide as well.

Like I said, not much driving time put into it. I was pretty tired having stayed awake during the day (all day) to perform this install, as well as getting a few errands taken care of also.

So came right home afterwards, parked it, ate, and fell asleep.

crash712us

2011 tuxedo black non pp, LMS stage 5, Corsa cat back, LMS down pipes, Airaid, Alky control meth injection, Megan Racing coil overs, EBC rotor&pads, Mobsteel grill, 2013 trans cooler. 403whp 417wtq 12.25 @ 110