• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

K&N modifications, can it be improved?

Started by ShoBoat, June 23, 2014, 06:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShoBoat

So I have become fond of how the K&N sounds on my SHO. But a recent trip to the strip seems to confirm what some have been saying. It costs HP in real world tests. Drawing hot air from inside the engine bay is not good. So I have been working on a few different ideas and I made a temp mock up using some Boom Mat (thermo shielding) to see if at least can duplicate the stock setup for a true CAI. I will be doing some testing over the next few weeks and hopefully get out to the track with both the stock intake and the modified K&N. At this point I don't have much to loose in trying as the K&N is pretty much useless they way it sits.
Any input from you guys would be helpful. My aim is to draw primarily from the fender and I have sealed the deflector from the engine bay to better direct the air from in front of the rad to the intake. Here are some pics. Keep in mind that it's a bit of a hack at this point and is a work in progress. Cost for improvements at this point is $40.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

SHODYOU

Ive considered going to a bigger, open ended S&B filter and coming up with a simple way to cover the top of the "box"

Im sure from everything we've seen here but like you I still like my typhoon. Car runs great and sounds great too.
esp with the open vents in the hood now
2011 SHO - Tux Blk/blk int, 402B, acc, nav, multicontour, 20s. LMS 4X MyCal, 3bar MAP, K&N Typhoon, 170* t-stat, SP534's @ 30, Stainless Works catless DPs, Corsa catback, H&R sports, 5/16 front-7/16 rear spacer, 255/35 Hankook V12s, Lamin-X/PlastiDip

2004 Mustang GT - Comp Orange, Boss block/3.80 stroker 327", Foxlake TFS', Hellion turbo, blah blah

BiGMaC

Here's one thought:  The piping is heat soaked metal and the air is moving relatively slowly so it heats up in the tubing... Also likely les than laminar flow.... Look inside the rubber OEM part from the filter box to the plastic OEM tubing.... You'll find flutes causing the intake air to vortex.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

ShoBoat

Quote from: BiGMaC on June 23, 2014, 11:16:27 PM
Here's one thought:  The piping is heat soaked metal and the air is moving relatively slowly so it heats up in the tubing... Also likely les than laminar flow.... Look inside the rubber OEM part from the filter box to the plastic OEM tubing.... You'll find flutes causing the intake air to vortex.

Interesting BiGMaC, I did some testing last night and the temps performed very well with the modification. Cruising at 30mph or better IAT1 was 1F higher than Ambient when stopped temp would go up but not as quickly as before, and would drop within seconds back to ambient pretty much. After heat soak car took about 5 min of normal driving to return to ambient. Interesting it seems to respond similar to the stock intake. Again after heat soak, under WOT the temp would instantly drop to ambient. So cold air check.

Now here is where it gets really interesting, with the stock intake Torque would report 16.2 psi of boost , with the K&N and the S&B filter only 15.5 psi? I wonder if it's the intake or the filter causing this? I still have the original K&N filter. I'm going to reinstall it and report back.

2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

ShoBoat

One other thing, when I was at the track I noticed that the transmission temps rose to 90c (190f) after 2 runs. And all the intake piping is just above it, stock or not. I wonder if a heat shield would be useful?

BiGMaC

Quote from: ShoBoat on June 24, 2014, 09:31:41 AM

Quote from: BiGMaC on June 23, 2014, 11:16:27 PM

Interesting BiGMaC, I did some testing last night and the temps performed very well with the modification. Cruising at 30mph or better IAT1 was 1F higher than Ambient when stopped temp would go up but not as quickly as before, and would drop within seconds back to ambient pretty much. After heat soak car took about 5 min of normal driving to return to ambient. Interesting it seems to respond similar to the stock intake. Again after heat soak, under WOT the temp would instantly drop to ambient. So cold air check.

Now here is where it gets really interesting, with the stock intake Torque would report 16.2 psi of boost , with the K&N and the S&B filter only 15.5 psi? I wonder if it's the intake or the filter causing this? I still have the original K&N filter. I'm going to reinstall it and report

Interesting on the boost.... If it's cooler air that makes sense.  ECU doesn't add boost when it can get torque without it. Is your tune adjusted for any CAI?

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI

ShoBoat

Yes it's adjusted for the CAI, true on the boost. But in the past regardless of temp she usually reached 16. And I couldn't replicate that last night. I have outfitted the K&N filter. We will see what happens.

ecoboostsho

Interesting experiment!  I can't wait to see your results.  I'm back to running the stock intake with a K&N drop in but I'm also contemplating making a cover for my Airaid to see if that would offer an improvement as well...
2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)
Previous 2011 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP - 12.89 1/4 Mile

ShoBoat

Ok so more testing to come, but on a quick drive it looks like the S&B filter might be more restrictive? She reached 16.2 with the K&N. Also felt more responsive with the K&N vs S&B. I am hoping to get out to the track this weekend to try the different setups. I wouldn't mind doing a test vs the Airaid. If I could get my hands on one. I will post a complete set of data later in the week. I also have a call into S&B and see what they have to say.

BigPelo

Week-end family transporter: 2013 SHO tuxedo black, performance package, unleashed custom 94 octane tune, K&N Typhoon intake, 170F thermostat, 3 bar MAP sensor, SP534 spark plugs, 5000K HID Morimoto mini D2S projectors retrofit, tinted windows, Full LED lighting in and out, Eibach springs
Daily beater: 2002 WRX wagon swap JDM STi v7 20G'd

ShoBoat

Ok spent some time with S&B support today. And interesting they admit that their filter same size as the K&N is more restrictive. I am still working on a solution. They have recommended going bigger than the K&N. My only issue is that it would have been nice to know this before I ordered the one I have. But it looks like they may either refund or send me a larger filter.

BiGMaC

Glad to hear you figured out the filter restriction problem!

Assuming that the 16.2 you referenced is boost, remember that boost at whatever command level is regulated by torque demand.  On the newer LMS tunes we are seeing less boost and more WHP and TQ.  So boost level my only give a reliable delta in back to back testing at the same ambient air and engine temps.

ShoBoat

Quote from: BiGMaC on June 25, 2014, 06:00:31 PM
Glad to hear you figured out the filter restriction problem!

Assuming that the 16.2 you referenced is boost, remember that boost at whatever command level is regulated by torque demand.  On the newer LMS tunes we are seeing less boost and more WHP and TQ.  So boost level my only give a reliable delta in back to back testing at the same ambient air and engine temps.
Exactly, the tests were done back to back. There is also the old butt dyno. And there was a different between the 3 setups. I plan on completing the mods to the oem intake (heat shield) and K&N CAI this week.
But as of right now the CAI seems to have the best feel to it, throttle response with the K&N filter on it. However the stock box seems to pull better at WOT still.

A few friends are heading out to the track this weekend. I really want to get out there this weekend to try the 3 different filters. The track is the only real way to determine what is working. I will be data logging this time with FORScan and see where that gets me.

BiGMaC

Agreed!... I'll be really interested I'm your findings SB!  I wish we could get an MDesign CAI to add to the testing. It adds a different concept from K&N or Airaid .

SHODYOU

im def interested in this... i was trying to replace my K&N filter with an S&B here a few weeks ago but wasnt sure what filter they had that would fit my Typhoon. I called em and gave em K&N part number for cross reference but they never got back to me.

Maybe that was a blessing in disguise, although ive always used S&B filters in my Mustangs. Hell JLT uses S&B exclusively, weird.
2011 SHO - Tux Blk/blk int, 402B, acc, nav, multicontour, 20s. LMS 4X MyCal, 3bar MAP, K&N Typhoon, 170* t-stat, SP534's @ 30, Stainless Works catless DPs, Corsa catback, H&R sports, 5/16 front-7/16 rear spacer, 255/35 Hankook V12s, Lamin-X/PlastiDip

2004 Mustang GT - Comp Orange, Boss block/3.80 stroker 327", Foxlake TFS', Hellion turbo, blah blah