• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Turn on / off pop with JBL MS8 and Sony

Started by themetalmaster, May 08, 2014, 07:38:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

themetalmaster

Quick question for Lanson or anyone else who happens to know the answer.

I've got a 2011 SHO with Sony audio and navigation and I just finished installing a JBL MS8.

It seems like it is working pretty well, I like the logic 7 processing much better than the factory surround setting, but I am getting a nasty turn on and turn off pop from the speakers.

I used the violet wire coming out of the top connector of the factory amp as my remote turn on signal, it shows voltage when accessory power is provided, so it seemed like the right thing to do. I think it is labeled remote amp turn on in the factory wiring diagram.

How can I eliminate the turn on turn off pop?
2011 Ingot Silver Ford Taurus SHO 402A
Performance Package
Multi-Contoured seats
Continental ExtremeContact DWS 245/45/ZR20
2013 Brake Booster and Master Cylinder

Josephm

12' Flex EB
Unleashed X4
3rd Cat delete

themetalmaster

As far as I know. I'm using a factory ground point behind the rear passenger seat bolster on the drivers side. Is there any test I can do to make sure I've got a good ground? The sound quality is excellent, no buzzing or hissing, just the turn on/off pop.

Turning the volume down all the way on the MS8 before shutting the car off eliminates the pop.

I'm thinking the MS8 and the Sony amp are powering up in the wrong order. So I need a better ACC wire to tap so the MS8 powers up first. I'm just not sure where to look.

Later today I'll try probing the blue connector on the Sony amp with my multi-meter to see if one of those wires is switched 12v. I was under the impression that they are on all the time, but I'm not sure.
Performance Package
Multi-Contoured seats

glock-coma

I'm pretty sure it has to do with the order in which the different components are powered on. The ms8 is probably being fully powered up before the head unit. No positive though.
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

glock-coma

Damn, should of read your second post.
Looks like your on the right track.

yowen

I'm curious, is this your first audio-related mod to your SHO? Or have you done some other things as well?

If that's the case, does adding just the MS8 provide a significant improvement over stock?
2010 Taurus SHO, Tuxedo Black
Awaiting Installation: Catless Downpipes, LMS Tune, 3Bar Map Sensor

themetalmaster

Quote from: glock-coma on May 09, 2014, 09:21:18 AM
Damn, should of read your second post.
Looks like your on the right track.
I sure hope so. I will post an update if I figure it out. I appreciate the input.

Quote from: yowen on May 09, 2014, 09:25:06 AM
I'm curious, is this your first audio-related mod to your SHO? Or have you done some other things as well?

If that's the case, does adding just the MS8 provide a significant improvement over stock?
Yes indeed. The stock speakers are pretty decent. Poly cones and rubber surrounds. The factory DSP has the active crossovers set a little funny so there are holes in the audio spectrum. At least to my untrained ear that's what it sounds like. Audio quality is subjective, but the improvement to me was really impressive, even with both of the stock subs disconnected.
Performance Package
Multi-Contoured seats

ShoBoat

There are stock subs? Do you mean the ones in the rear deck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

themetalmaster

Quote from: ShoBoat on May 09, 2014, 10:44:36 AM
There are stock subs? Do you mean the ones in the rear deck?

Yes. The factory service manual refers to the 6x9's in the rear deck as subwoofers. They are crossed over pretty low so I called them as such.
Performance Package
Multi-Contoured seats

ShoBoat

That would be why I couldn't really hear them lol. Thanks

2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

Lanson

Hey there, check the MS8 for delay settings.  I think there's delay that can be added.  If nothing else, you could employ a delay relay. 

As per my PM back to you, I used that remote trigger wire (purple with red stripe if my memory serves), coming from the Sony sub amp...and it worked well. 

Stand by, I'm going to DL the MS8 service manual and see if I can find the spot where delay is spoken of.
I don't have an EB but I am an avid modder and happy to help the community and learn/grow.  Pretty good with audio and wheels, my build and discussion threads are here in the forum.  2013 Flex AWD N/A

Audio:  Dayton Reference home speakers in front stage, incl. 2-way passive custom pillars 2.5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 2-way passive custom center channel 5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 8" midbass in doors, Vibe UK amps, JBL MS8 processor, Optima Yellow-top custom-wired, Exile subs in spare tire well

Mods: H&R, K&N, 22x9 & 22x10 3 piece forged wheels 265/35-22 Toyos, SCTX4 w/ 91 oct. Torrie tune

Lanson

OK, check it out

http://www.jbl.com/images/media/MS_8_OM_EN.pdf

Turn off delay: This setting lets you select a delay time for the MS-8 to turn
additional amplifiers off via its Remote Out terminal when the MS-8 goes into
its standby mode. The options are zero seconds (no delay), two seconds or five
seconds. The factory default is two seconds.

Try bumping this to 5 seconds, let's see what happens.
I don't have an EB but I am an avid modder and happy to help the community and learn/grow.  Pretty good with audio and wheels, my build and discussion threads are here in the forum.  2013 Flex AWD N/A

Audio:  Dayton Reference home speakers in front stage, incl. 2-way passive custom pillars 2.5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 2-way passive custom center channel 5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 8" midbass in doors, Vibe UK amps, JBL MS8 processor, Optima Yellow-top custom-wired, Exile subs in spare tire well

Mods: H&R, K&N, 22x9 & 22x10 3 piece forged wheels 265/35-22 Toyos, SCTX4 w/ 91 oct. Torrie tune

glock-coma

Lanson

Quote from: yowen on May 09, 2014, 09:25:06 AM

I can't tell you what the SHO can do with the MS8 but I can tell you what the Flex can do, and other cars as well since I've used the MS8 extensively in installs with success.  That said, I would say YES the MS8 is a serious upgrade, but I would also deaden and seal up as much as you can at the same time.  The MS8 can't make the car better if parts resonate.  VERY important.

themetalmaster

Thanks for the tips. I will give it a shot and touch back with results.
Performance Package
Multi-Contoured seats