• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Testing Air Oil seperators

Started by ShoBoat, April 10, 2014, 10:59:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShoBoat

So I picked up a few Moroso Air Oil Separators. I got them for nothing so I figured why not. I know what some of you are going to say, they are inferior to the RX. Probably they are, but at this price I figure I have nothing to loose. I have mounted one on the "clean side" and one on the PVC return to the intake. See pics. I have had them on for a few days and will report back on the progress of the test. I will pull them both out of the car and tear them down and take pics, I'm not sure about the RX but these can be taken apart for cleaning and there is a drain also. The one thing I do like about it this way is that I can see during the test if during boost how much oil is going into the intake pipe just before the turbo, and how much is going there vs the intake manifold. Which should be interesting. There is a fellow on an F150 that did essentially the same idea here. http://www.f150forum.com/f70/installing-dual-air-oil-separators-ecoboost-242660/ He has had interesting results, anyone else notice that the air supply (Clean side) is located in a different location on the valve cover on the F150? I wonder if it has any impact on how the system functions. I just saw that in the other forum. This will probably be a short term test as I have promised to return these to a friend, maybe a month or 1000km. Whichever comes first, let me know what you think.

2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

SwampRat

What a joke ...IMHO
Stirring up all that crap about the RX and Tracy .
If Livernois said to you that all OCC were a bad idea and then this .....
Some sort of ulterior motive going  on here ...
The question begs to  be asked why?

If I get some heat on this I'm fine  , something feels fishy about all of this .
2013 SHO  ....  not mine anymore

2021 Edge ST

JimiJak

I'm all for the; "someone had this available for free so, what the hell, let's throw it on there and see what happens" mantra...but I gotta say, I think I'm with SwampRat on this one.

It just seems like with everything else going on with LMS/Rx, maybe it's just poor timing.

Just for the record the Moroso separators retail for about $150/ea (x2) and the Rx OCC retails for $299, + $99 for the clean side separator.
"America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed." - Eleanor Roosevelt

2014 XSport Black Betty Build

SHOdded

Let's give Shoboat some room, guys, and prove he has honest intentions by providing detailed and factual data, i.e., via his actions.  Same as with any other member on this forum.  Let's question the data collected, if anything.  Nobody has to accept anything if they don't want to, it is perfectly OK, and that is their right, as long as civility is maintained.

I am all in favor of comparing vendors IF you actually have data for both vendors because you ACTUALLY TRIED both vendors.  Anybody see those side-by-side oil filter comparisons on BITOG?

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

JimiJak

"America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed." - Eleanor Roosevelt

2014 XSport Black Betty Build

SRT82ECOBOOST

Quote from: SwampRat on April 11, 2014, 01:40:30 AM
What a joke ...IMHO

If I get some heat on this I'm fine  , something feels fishy about all of this .
And you should get some heat for this. He states clearly that this is nothing more than a test for about a month of duration. The parts cost him nothing and they will be returned to his friend following the trial. The OP is conducting his own tests to determine if a catch can does anything for these vehicles.
So just go buy your RX catch can system and follow the claims of the manufacturer. Maybe they can get you a package deal on a throttle body spacer and Turbonator as I have heard some amazing manufacturer claims from those products as well.

PSA: No ulterior motives were used in the creation of the post.
2013 SHO PP in White Platinum Metallic Tricoat, PPE Downpipes, Livernois Stage V8/3 Bar, Custom 2.5" Catback, 170 T-stat, Airaid CAI, H+R Springs and debadged
Boston Acoustics 2.1 Audio Upgrade

EcoPowerParts

Quote from: SwampRat on April 11, 2014, 01:40:30 AM
What a joke ...IMHO

I don't think this had anything to do with lms because Dan said don't use one at all. On the f 150 forums a guy is running both at the same time to test and compare.  Some people don't want to spend extra dollars but want to share their testing, kind of the reason why my own company exists.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

black99lightning

2013 Esport 13.44 @ 103.6
1999 Lightning 12.44 @ 108.4
2012 GT500 10.96 @ 130.6
2006 GTO 12.83 @ 107.8
2013 CTSV coupe 11.79 @ 119.7

SwampRat

I'm entitled  to my opinion that when ShoBoat brought this whole business of the Livernois / RX thing to light that in quite a few of his posts it Was VERY clear that he was questioning the need or necessity of any OCC . A lot of his questions had a very condescending and overly critical tone towards the RX system and Tracy .
His attitude was based in my opinion on his assumption that since Livernois was against the use of ANY OCC that because  Livernois said so it is the Gospel truth and Must be headed.

I get VERY tired of this approach by not only ShoBoat but by other Members as well . Livernois products and services are not the end all be all / only option available .

Too many members here suck up to them .
If you like there offerings and products Fine  but don't demonize other vendors or products based on Livernois Opinions .

It's' Very clear that many member posts and comments are made because of there thoughts that since the Livernois GODS say so it must be right   ..... B.S.   .......

Livernoise has good solid products and services for the most part  but Damn folks , other options exist .

2021 Edge ST

SRT82ECOBOOST

^^^^So much for you stating "If I get some heat on this I'm fine".
2013 SHO PP in White Platinum Metallic Tricoat, PPE Downpipes, Livernois Stage V8/3 Bar, Custom 2.5" Catback, 170 T-stat, Airaid CAI, H+R Springs and debadged
Boston Acoustics 2.1 Audio Upgrade

ShoBoat

I only started what I was told by LMS  and I said it carried weight. I felt a need to share it with you guys. me After seeing all the data that Tracy posted made me curious. Are you telling me that it didn't make you curious? Like I said in my first post here it's a short term test on a SHO not an F150. I don't believe that 30 days of a catch can on my car will damage it. It's the only way for me to determine which path is for me. Hell I may wind up with an RX under my hood, but I wasn't willing to spend $500.00 to figure it out. LMS doesn't sell these they are against all catch cans. I called them on a tune question and toll him that I was going to be putting a catch can on the car, he said he wouldn't. Tracy says you can't live without one? This is how I would determine for myself what if right for me.

Wow guys take it easy, I have nothing against RX.
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

ShoBoat

One more thing, if you spoke to your tuner and said not to do ..... Wouldn't you post it here? Heck that is how I do it to get the feedback of you guys. That's why I am on here, I have dealt with LMS for over a year, and you are correct they are one opinion among many. Some people live royal purple, I hate the stuff. I had a terrible experience with that stuff in my 1971 corvette 454.

BiGMaC

Quote from: ShoBoat on April 11, 2014, 10:11:04 AM
I only started what I was told by LMS  and I said it carried weight. I felt a need to share it with you guys. me After seeing all the data that Tracy posted made me curious. Are you telling me that it didn't make you curious? Like I said in my first post here it's a short term test on a SHO not an F150. I don't believe that 30 days of a catch can on my car will damage it. It's the only way for me to determine which path is for me. Hell I may wind up with an RX under my hood, but I wasn't willing to spend $500.00 to figure it out. LMS doesn't sell these they are against all catch cans. I called them on a tune question and toll him that I was going to be putting a catch can on the car, he said he wouldn't. Tracy says you can't live without one? This is how I would determine for myself what if right for me.

Wow guys take it easy, I have nothing against RX.

Please do the testing... I AM very interested, and I own an RX can and a Cleanside Separator... My install is on hold because the info for the SHO and other transverse 3.5 EB GDI engines is not in.  Thanks to the forum members who pointed this out tome  Go for It... i agree, very important and useful info is likely to come to light... and it won't need special fonts, it will speak for itself!

From personal communication with Dan, I'd (I have posted his email somewhere here)... They don't recommend it... They are not against the concept or any manufacturer... Dan has the same unanswered questions we all do.  His words were... we don't recommend it... explained by him as not necessarily meaning that you shouldn't....

Everyone knows there are alot of options in catch cans... The issue at this time, in my thinking, is the concept for our SHO GDI's, Once this is settled each will make their own decision on the obvious options.

We all need more info... Please do the test and help us start getting objective answers for OUR GDI platform.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

SHOdded

Please continue with your testing, Shoboat.  We are all adults here, we can handle the truth :)  And guys, let's keep this thread on topic please?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SwampRat

ShoBoat ... the basis off concern here is that the whole issue was on  the argument that Livernois advised against any OCC and you were in agreement after learning so .Based on your " faith " in what you were told you still decided on this latest experiment .
That is puzzling to me ...

Livernois will more than likely never explain there reasoning to the forum .

Yes I was curious and somewhat concerned especially since I all ready have the RX .
I as well post information that I learn from vendors here.

2021 Edge ST