• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

PTU aux cooler

Started by themetalmaster, January 04, 2014, 11:47:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

themetalmaster

Has anyone looked into retrofitting the aux PTU cooler from the 2013+ Performance Package models onto a 2010+ car?

I saw BPD's threads on the aux oil and transmission coolers but didn't see one for PTU.

As someone who just had their PTU explode at 33k miles (yay powertrain warranty!) I'm pretty interested in doing this retrofit.
2011 Ingot Silver Ford Taurus SHO 402A
Performance Package
Multi-Contoured seats
Continental ExtremeContact DWS 245/45/ZR20
2013 Brake Booster and Master Cylinder

SHOdded

I think most people are sold on just changing the fluid regularly, but am interested also in the PTU cooler possibility.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

bpd1151

I looked into, and it's not really feasible to perform as a retro-fit. Otherwise, trust me, of all people to have considered performing it, it would've been me.

Essentially, IIRC from having looked at the schematics, the PTU Auxiliary cooler is somehow built into the unit itself on the 2013+ model years that have the PP option.

An entire proverbial sh!t ton of work involved. Not to say it's impossible to do, because throw enough money at (any) project, and it can be accomplished. But just not really justifiable cost wise, when as Shodded has already said (and I agree) makes much more sense to just change the fluids out with some degree of regularity / intervals.

I myself am on a "change twice per year" fluid maintenance schedule.

Once in the Spring. Once in the Fall. Hasn't failed me yet.

crash712us

I am sure it could be done, but it would involve buying 2013 PTU as BDP the cooler is integrated in the PTU. How ever when I get around to install a drain plug in my PTU that will give me the ability to add a oil cooler as the PTU will have a in and out. So some oil lines a cooler and a pump and wallah you have PTU cool. Would be employing virtually the same as a rear dif cooler.

2011 tuxedo black non pp, LMS stage 5, Corsa cat back, LMS down pipes, Airaid, Alky control meth injection, Megan Racing coil overs, EBC rotor&pads, Mobsteel grill, 2013 trans cooler. 403whp 417wtq 12.25 @ 110

themetalmaster

It looked like the cooler was built in from the manual, but I thought I would ask anyway. Its only 300 more than a regular PTU, so I guess if I pay for the next one out of pocket I will upgrade. Assuming it blows up when I still own the car.

I've linked a picture, in case anyone wants to see  what we were talking about.

http://i.imgur.com/OysHsW7.jpg

Performance Package
Multi-Contoured seats

BiGMaC

Cool pic and sounds like the best decision for now until more info comes to light.

Do you have a Key for the number labels in the pic that you could post?  TIA

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

themetalmaster

Quote from: BiGMaC on January 04, 2014, 08:46:07 PM
Cool pic and sounds like the best decision for now until more info comes to light.

Do you have a Key for the number labels in the pic that you could post?  TIA

I'll do you one better and post those pages of the manual.

http://imgur.com/oC79zm9?
Performance Package
Multi-Contoured seats

BiGMaC

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI

IHeartGroceries

So, it appears it is simply integrated into the cooling system, with the optional "auxillary" cooling, correct?

The Speed6 PTO (what Mazda called it) was provided cooling via cooling system integration. IMO, this should be apart of any design on a performance oriented car. It shouldn't only be optional with the PP variant. Especially with seemingly diminutive oil capacity.

OP, had you serviced the oil in the PTU at any point?

Perhaps the upgrade would be most cost friendly, if transplanted from a wrecked/salvaged PP equipped 13 SHO?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

2013 SHO PP

bpd1151

Lest not forget the cost (or the need) to purchase the up sized radiator to proportionally handle the volume of coolant & cool it efficiently

:popcorn:

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

BiGMaC

bpd... you've got hood vents.  Do you think they add significant engine cooling? 

I am considering raising the rear center of my hood to create a cowl hood for cooling the engine compartment.

In your opinion could better venting of the engine compartment add enough cooling to obviate the nee for a bigger radiator?

bpd1151

I believe it does (help).

I say that because since my cooling fans are programmed to turn on sooner (to compliment 170 thermo) I can feel the heat expelling from the hood vents.

I would imagine that observation is increased 10 fold, once the vehicle is actually moving / being driven.

To what degree it has helped. I truthfully do not know.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

BiGMaC

Thanks for the input Mike! I was hoping for an answer like that.... even if it ends up costing me $  :thumb:

So we need a long term (or at least variations in weather) study telling us simultaneously ambient temp, under hood temp, maybe intake air temp, but definitely with measure of horsepower of some sort in each group of conditions ... one with a stock hood and the other vented somehow with a known cross sectional vent area... then we'd know... I think... how much difference it made in temp and how that affected performance.

n8rfastback

What we need is the ford engineers who designed the car to get on the board and work with us on what's the easiest and most cost effective upgrades and mods to perform.... Lol
2010 SHO

themetalmaster

Quote from: IHeartGroceries on January 05, 2014, 12:02:38 AM
So, it appears it is simply integrated into the cooling system, with the optional "auxillary" cooling, correct?

The Speed6 PTO (what Mazda called it) was provided cooling via cooling system integration. IMO, this should be apart of any design on a performance oriented car. It shouldn't only be optional with the PP variant. Especially with seemingly diminutive oil capacity.

OP, had you serviced the oil in the PTU at any point?

Perhaps the upgrade would be most cost friendly, if transplanted from a wrecked/salvaged PP equipped 13 SHO?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

My PTU had factory fill when it failed. At 33K.

Even if i could find a wrecked PP SHO I don't think I would ever install mechanical parts from a wrecked vehicle.

I wouldn't be paying for labor. I think I could bring my car up to 2013 spec power train wise for around 3K. I usually keep cars for a long time unless I get an opportunity I can't pass up. Its worth it to me.
Performance Package
Multi-Contoured seats