• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Interior LED warning..

Started by bigmoneycloser, November 23, 2013, 05:09:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigmoneycloser

Ok so I replaced all the interior bulbs with can bus LED's
It looked great and I was very happy.
Today while car was running and doors open(I was installing Thule racks for trip) I noticed smoke coming from car....

The second row passenger side map light was literally on fire inside the housing...
I had to quickly rip out the lens cover and blow it out.  The led melted and was actually on fire..
WTF!!!

I had to take housing out completely and there is no damage anywhere but the housing and replaced all led's with stock bulbs...

I'm assuming it was a bad led... But now I think I'm stuck with just bulbs, because I don't want that again...

s*** .... I thought my truck was gonna burn down, when I first couldn't get the lens off...
2014 Explorer Sport 401A
22x10.5 Vossen CVT- powder coated Matte Graphite
Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico 285/35/22
H & R lowering springs/LMS 93 high boost/AirAid CAI/170* thermostat/3 Bar Map Sensor/Full LED interior /HID head and fog lights/weather tech digital floor mats/SharkFin antena/custom Billet foot pedals/Wilwood big brake kit/ LMS-Corsa CatBack Exhaust/LMS Catted Downpipes

DJE624

Oh man!  I'm glad you found it in time!

EcoBrick Bob

OOPS...  Not sure what advice to give...  I haven't changed my bulbs... anywhere... just don't trust the electrical... Thought about bigger bulbs in Flex and G8's... but worry about the melting issues... so just live with what I have.

PS:  could you give me you home address... have a couple FL mafia guys who are picking up your car for me... that need to know where it is... Tried at work... but guess you were out!!!

Don't worry... you will get my Daughters 14' Explorer LTD as a replacement... Same color... Stone interior!!!!
2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex.. World's first 12 second Brick.. 12.904 @ 106.85 MPH - October 2011
2009 Spt. Red G8 GT - modded. best time 12.074 & 114.02 MPH
2008 White G8 GT - mods... 8.32 1/8 mi.

Naples, FL & Clear Lake, IA
Bob has decided not to post here any more, please do not PM him he will not receive it.

bigmoneycloser

Quote from: EcoBrick Bob on November 23, 2013, 06:04:34 PM
OOPS...  Not sure what advice to give...  I haven't changed my bulbs... anywhere... just don't trust the electrical... Thought about bigger bulbs in Flex and G8's... but worry about the melting issues... so just live with what I have.

PS:  could you give me you home address... have a couple FL mafia guys who are picking up your car for me... that need to know where it is... Tried at work... but guess you were out!!!

Don't worry... you will get my Daughters 14' Explorer LTD as a replacement... Same color... Stone interior!!!!

Hahaha
Since my last name ends in a vowel and born and raised in jersey and grandparents came over on a boat....
I got some of those friends too.lol

It's a real bummer about the led's.. They look so nice. But I can't risk that again. I think I got pretty lucky this time..
Would have been a disaster if I didn't notice and I closed up truck and walked away.....
2014 Explorer Sport 401A
H & R lowering springs/LMS 93 high boost/AirAid CAI/170* thermostat/3 Bar Map Sensor/Full LED interior /HID head and fog lights/weather tech digital floor mats/SharkFin antena/custom Billet foot pedals/Wilwood big brake kit/ LMS-Corsa CatBack Exhaust/LMS Catted Downpipes

bigmoneycloser

Oh the good news...
The shop I bought the LEDs from(same place as wheels and springs) are paying for new light unit and a full detail of truck...
They didn't have too but they insisted...
2014 Explorer Sport 401A

EcoBrick Bob

AMEN!!!   God looks down on you... $$$$$  LOL

I can;t help myself... Last night we were at Seasons 52  here in Naples, and there was a new Lamborghini  in Metallic flat Gold (Yellow) in front, followed by a Bentley Conv... I asked them why my Brick  wasn't next to it... and they said MONEY TALKS!!!!  I said my Brick was FASTER than the Bentley... and they HUMBLY agreed!!

Lambo was honestly one of the best looking TOYS I have ever seen... Really worth the $$$$ difference from the 2014 PLASTIC VETTE! 
2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex.. World's first 12 second Brick.. 12.904 @ 106.85 MPH - October 2011
2009 Spt. Red G8 GT - modded. best time 12.074 & 114.02 MPH
2008 White G8 GT - mods... 8.32 1/8 mi.

Naples, FL & Clear Lake, IA
Bob has decided not to post here any more, please do not PM him he will not receive it.

bigmoneycloser

Lamborghini is on my someday list.....
I might do a track day rental this summer... There are a few places here that do rentals..
2014 Explorer Sport 401A

SHOdded

Glad the shop's taking care of you, BMC, and let us know how it turns out.  I guess I have been fortunate with mine so far, but I haven't really used the interiors for any continuous length of time.  Mostly doors locking/unlocking or sometimes when removing cargo.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

BiGMaC

What SHOdded said.  I feel for your anxiety BMC!
I watched my car burn down when I was 19 years old because the "service station" attendant didn't put the oil fill cap back on the valve cover.
Do you remember the brand of LED?

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

68_GT

As stated above what brand LED did you have in ?

I have all superbrightled bulbs sitting in a box ready to put in my SHO ! I have them in my license plate now ?!?!?!
2013 PP SHO LMS 93V10 tune, 170* T stat, 3bar, K&N drop in, plugs re-gapped, 4in exhaust tips.
UPDATE - 130K miles =blown engine. Unleashed tune and EBPP upgrade turbo billet wheels / Turbo Smart WGA's on a bran new long block. Let's get this SHO on the road !

2013 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB daily driver ;) - LMS 93 tune and CPE intercooler

bigmoneycloser

The brand name was United. Here is a pic

2014 Explorer Sport 401A

BiGMaC

A big :thankyou: to BMC!

I'm going with vLEDs, Superbright and ACC.

For those interested:  There's an old thread here where bpd found the logo projecton door/puddle lights.  It was mentioned that there was a desire for custom logos... like "SHO".  It may be old but here's a link to a company that will make anything you want to be projected... on pic of the logog p[rojected on the under hood heat sheld when the hood was raised was  very interesting.  Has anybody had any experience with this company?

http://mrkustom.com/shop/custom-led-door-projector-courtesy-logo-lights/

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

DJE624

bigmoneycloser

Anyone know the bulb type/size/P#?? For the ford explorer sport?
I'm sure they are all the same..
2014 Explorer Sport 401A

bigmoneycloser

Here is a good question.
Should we be running a can bus bulb in our cars?
2014 Explorer Sport 401A