• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Search not giving any results?

Started by EcoPowerParts, August 11, 2013, 10:11:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EcoPowerParts

For some reason the search box right above recent topics doesn't always give me results BUT the search link on the top of the forum does.
I'll work on that as soon as possible but in the mean time make sure to use this link:
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php?action=search

Or the Search next to the help link on the top of the forum.
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

dimspace

Quote from: 4DRHTRD on August 11, 2013, 10:11:26 PM
For some reason the search box right above recent topics doesn't always give me results BUT the search link on the top of the forum does.
I'll work on that as soon as possible but in the mean time make sure to use this link:
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php?action=search

Or the Search next to the help link on the top of the forum.

the search box is contextual.

So, when you search when you are viewing a topic, it just searches that topic
when you search when you are viewing a board, it searches that board
when you search from the homepage it searches the whole site

what it needs is "search forum" changing to "search" or "search here" to make it more obvious what it means. thats a two second job.

(in an ideal world it would change contextually to "search this topic" "search this board" "search forum" depending on where you are.. but that will take some serious headscratching)

SRT82ECOBOOST

Maybe I am to blame for doing something wrong, but I am finding the search function to be just about useless.
2013 SHO PP in White Platinum Metallic Tricoat, PPE Downpipes, Livernois Stage V8/3 Bar, Custom 2.5" Catback, 170 T-stat, Airaid CAI, H+R Springs and debadged
Boston Acoustics 2.1 Audio Upgrade

SHOdded

What issues are you having with it?  As stated in the previous post, search results depend on where you start the search from.  Please provide details so we can figure out how the issues can be addressed :)
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SRT82ECOBOOST

I just read a post where someone mentioned their engine was hydrolocked, so I wanted to search for other issues pertaining to hydrolocked and the search came back with zero hits. This was using the seperate dedicated search page.
2013 SHO PP in White Platinum Metallic Tricoat, PPE Downpipes, Livernois Stage V8/3 Bar, Custom 2.5" Catback, 170 T-stat, Airaid CAI, H+R Springs and debadged

EcoPowerParts

Quote from: SRT82ECOBOOST on October 21, 2013, 10:28:55 AM
I just read a post where someone mentioned their engine was hydrolocked, so I wanted to search for other issues pertaining to hydrolocked and the search came back with zero hits. This was using the seperate dedicated search page.
Nobody on here has, I was stating in general in the automotive world.
You'll also find that there has been other catastrophic failures by people on the board but they don't discuss it openly.
When I pop my motor or tranny I'll make sure I share what is broken and how I broke it. :)
www.ecopowerparts.com -
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.

SRT82ECOBOOST

Quote from: 4DRHTRD on October 21, 2013, 10:46:07 AM
Quote from: SRT82ECOBOOST on October 21, 2013, 10:28:55 AM
Nobody on here has, I was stating in general in the automotive world.
You'll also find that there has been other catastrophic failures by people on the board but they don't discuss it openly.
When I pop my motor or tranny I'll make sure I share what is broken and how I broke it. :)
This is what you wrote in the thread:
"Bob accidentally hydrolocked his motor with his meth injection. "
And when I search for "hydrolocked" is does not even find the above mentioned quote that was written in the last day.

EcoPowerParts

Click on forum then try again, I come up with both threads this one and the shift points one.
You must start at the root of the forum to search the global forum.
www.ecopowerparts.com -

SHOdded

May be wrong, but I don't think Bob actually used the term "hydrolocked" when describing that event?  Hence the lack of search results.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SRT82ECOBOOST

Quote from: SHOdded on October 21, 2013, 01:00:39 PM
May be wrong, but I don't think Bob actually used the term "hydrolocked" when describing that event?  Hence the lack of search results.
And that is exactly what happened. Lesson learned that words need to match letter for letter to yield results.

SHOdded

I don't know what it would take to take a dictionary based search engine to be implemented.  Doesn't seem like a small job, but there may be fuzzy logic variants out there that are small & efficient.  Possible development project?

EcoPowerParts

They'd have to implement it in the core forumI'm definitely not trying to pay for that project.  You can use wildcards in that search function just fyi.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

www.ecopowerparts.com -

dimspace

Searching for hydrolocked brings up two threads for me.

As i say its contextual, so to search whole forum search from forum page, to search a topic do it from topic page, to search a section do it from section page.

or use the full search by using the menu.

----

im not sure what you mean by dictionary based search?

php based search is very different to html based search.

On a html site, you put in a search term, and the site then scans every single html page looking for that search search term, and produces the results (results are cached to help with speed)

on a php based site such as this everything is stored in a database, so the search tool scans the database to then find the relevant topics. now obviously it doesnt scan the entire database. A large forum with say 500,000 posts, that would be 500,000 database entries it would have to scan. So instead, all the key words are pre stored in a single database table.

How accurate that search is depends on how big we specify the table to be. A small table, may only include a handful of keywords from each post, a larger table we may specify all words except connectives (and, if, of etc) to be stored. Or on a large table we may specify it store everything.

Of course the larger the table the more accurate the search.

Countered by, the larger the table the slower the search (and the slower the site as its doing extra php calls when users search).

SHOdded

Understood.  By dictionary based search, I was referring to allowing for synonyms or acronyms behind the scenes in the search along with what the user actually typed in.  The net is cast wider that way, and the user would get more results if available.  This could be an "optional" functionality, in that the user has to check a checkbox to activate it.

If I search for "EBPF", I could get results for both "EBPF" and "Ecoboost Performance Forum", for example, if I wanted.

dimspace

ah, that would involve entirely rebuilding the way that search indexing is done.