• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Getting my PTU flushed today

Started by jcl78, April 15, 2014, 03:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glock-coma

Quote from: 68_GT on April 15, 2014, 09:26:56 PM
any links to completing that job ? Wonder if I can do it on ramps in my driveway ? need some fresh Mobil 1 while I'm at it.

http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php?topic=1706.0
"How-To" PTU Fluid Exchange - glock-coma

2010 RCM non PP
K&N panel filter
sp534 @ 30
unleashed 93 performance+boost
more to come.....

2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

SHODYOU

Yea, im also doing this very soon. At 43k now... got a qt of Red Line fluid, just need to get the mightyvac or take to the dealer, will prob do rdu at same time,.
2011 SHO - Tux Blk/blk int, 402B, acc, nav, multicontour, 20s. LMS 4X MyCal, 3bar MAP, K&N Typhoon, 170* t-stat, SP534's @ 30, Stainless Works catless DPs, Corsa catback, H&R sports, 5/16 front-7/16 rear spacer, 255/35 Hankook V12s, Lamin-X/PlastiDip

2004 Mustang GT - Comp Orange, Boss block/3.80 stroker 327", Foxlake TFS', Hellion turbo, blah blah

crash712us

Quote from: glock-coma on April 15, 2014, 10:18:14 PM
Quote from: 68_GT on April 15, 2014, 09:26:56 PM
any links to completing that job ? Wonder if I can do it on ramps in my driveway ? need some fresh Mobil 1 while I'm at it.

http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php?topic=1706.0
"How-To" PTU Fluid Exchange - glock-coma

2010 RCM non PP
K&N panel filter
sp534 @ 30
unleashed 93 performance+boost
more to come.....
This doesn't apply for 2013+ PP cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2011 tuxedo black non pp, LMS stage 5, Corsa cat back, LMS down pipes, Airaid, Alky control meth injection, Megan Racing coil overs, EBC rotor&pads, Mobsteel grill, 2013 trans cooler. 403whp 417wtq 12.25 @ 110

jcl78

Ok, here is a crappy photo, but you get the gist...

As you can see, the sludge is still stuck in the bottom of the Gatorade bottle, and it took awhile to slide down to the side when I took the pic. It is not as bad as some I have seen on here, but it is not good.

I have noticed a few things, and it may be in my head... but the car seems quieter overall, and as one other poster on this board said... more "free wheeling" with less resistance down hills and less throttle input needed to keep constant speed.

BiGMaC

Quote from: jcl78 on April 16, 2014, 10:53:26 AM
Ok, here is a crappy photo, but you get the gist...

As you can see, the sludge is still stuck in the bottom of the Gatorade bottle, and it took awhile to slide down to the side when I took the pic. It is not as bad as some I have seen on here, but it is not good.

I have noticed a few things, and it may be in my head... but the car seems quieter overall, and as one other poster on this board said... more "free wheeling" with less resistance down hills and less throttle input needed to keep constant speed.

I am stunned!  Thanks for the pic jcl!  It certainly looks like the oil was failing.

Since the PTU was not removed for cleaning, can you describe the flush process in a little more detail...cleaning agent... number of times flushed....how much was used?

Sorry if I missed it, but what was the charge?

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

jcl78

Sure Mac! Well, I started by sending my mechanic the write-up posted above by glock-coma (thanks glock!) and asking him if it was something he wanted to get into. He agreed, and followed the write up. Basically:

Drove the car around turns to warm up the fluid in the PTU.
Remove the fill plug.
Siphon out as much fluid as he could with a vacuum brake bleeder kit.
Pumped in redline 75W-140 until it poured out, bringing with it more sludge.
Did another siphon round, sucking out the new and old fluid.
Pumped in more until it looked much better and replaced the fill plug.

However, after all this, he recommended bringing it in in a month or so and doing the whole thing over, being that it was so bad. His reasoning is that with the new fluid in there sloshing around, it will gather more of the sludge and we can purge it again. I believe I will be doing it again.

The cost was $139, which I believe is fair for the time that he put into it, and a ton of redline 75W-140.

BiGMaC

Quote from: jcl78 on April 16, 2014, 11:23:42 AM
Sure Mac! Well, I started by sending my mechanic the write-up posted above by glock-coma (thanks glock!) and asking him if it was something he wanted to get into. He agreed, and followed the write up. Basically:

Drove the car around turns to warm up the fluid in the PTU.
Remove the fill plug.
Siphon out as much fluid as he could with a vacuum brake bleeder kit.
Pumped in redline 75W-140 until it poured out, bringing with it more sludge.
Did another siphon round, sucking out the new and old fluid.
Pumped in more until it looked much better and replaced the fill plug.

However, after all this, he recommended bringing it in in a month or so and doing the whole thing over, being that it was so bad. His reasoning is that with the new fluid in there sloshing around, it will gather more of the sludge and we can purge it again. I believe I will be doing it again.

The cost was $139, which I believe is fair for the time that he put into it, and a ton of redline 75W-140.

Many thanks jcl...  :beer2:

I also think $139 is a really fair price.  (my wifes oil changes in her F250 exceed $100).

I also agree with your mechanic's advice as a bit of driving will likely loosen up more sludge that can be removed.

Clearly the maintenance on PTU oil should be done at shorter intervals... most have felt that 25K miles was the mark.... Time will tell as more of us get this done!

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

Needmoreboost

Wow, got me thinking I might do mine at 15,000 miles just to be anal...  :)
2014 Mustang GT/CS: white
Auto with custom Unleashed Tuning
Past honorable mentions: 13 SHO, 08 SRT4, 07 350Z, 03 Cobra, 03 Focus SVT, 00 GT Mustang, 91 LX Notch, etc.

JohnnyBravo

How many quarts of gear oil do you need to have in order to do the flush?

IHeartGroceries

Similar method to flushing cooling systems at home...

Definitely seems like the smartest flushing method, with keeping the PTU installed.

I was under my SHO last week for LOF, and I didn't spot a drain or a fill anywhere. That thing is nestled pretty far up there.
But, it was dark and I was tired.
I'm going to go back and take a look this weekend.

Looks easy to do, in regards to work space, with either the car on ramps or stands.

I thought 13+ PP featured PTU aux water cooling? It's the RDU which is cooled (oil cooler I presume?)?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

2013 SHO PP

Needmoreboost

So what are dealers around the country charging for this service? 
2014 Mustang GT/CS: white
Auto with custom Unleashed Tuning
Past honorable mentions: 13 SHO, 08 SRT4, 07 350Z, 03 Cobra, 03 Focus SVT, 00 GT Mustang, 91 LX Notch, etc.

crash712us

Quote from: IHeartGroceries on April 16, 2014, 04:14:18 PM
Similar method to flushing cooling systems at home...

Definitely seems like the smartest flushing method, with keeping the PTU installed.

I was under my SHO last week for LOF, and I didn't spot a drain or a fill anywhere. That thing is nestled pretty far up there.
But, it was dark and I was tired.
I'm going to go back and take a look this weekend.

Looks easy to do, in regards to work space, with either the car on ramps or stands.

I thought 13+ PP featured PTU aux water cooling? It's the RDU which is cooled (oil cooler I presume?)?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Yes 2013+ PP cars, PTU has water cooler oil cooler. RDU has no cooler. From looking at drawing online of your PTU looks to have a drain plug, on the pan side of the PTU. However there doesn't appear to have a fill plug, so filling would have to be done thru drain or thru breather tube. By injecting thru opening with the appropriate amount of oil.

2011 tuxedo black non pp, LMS stage 5, Corsa cat back, LMS down pipes, Airaid, Alky control meth injection, Megan Racing coil overs, EBC rotor&pads, Mobsteel grill, 2013 trans cooler. 403whp 417wtq 12.25 @ 110

SHOdded

Should make it easier to flush the 2013+ PP, if it is even necessary.  Still need data.  Still in the dark about 2013+ non-PP, safe assumption that 2010-12 rules still apply.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

crash712us

Yes non PP 2013+ have the same PTU as 2010-12's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ecoboostsho

Quote from: Needmoreboost on April 16, 2014, 07:38:58 PM
So what are dealers around the country charging for this service? 
A lot of them won't even do it...mine wouldn't.  Said Ford considered it a "non-serviceable" part.
2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)
Previous 2011 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP - 12.89 1/4 Mile