• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Transmission slipping? Upgrade? Ideas needed...

Started by Grimster, April 24, 2014, 06:42:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grimster

I searched around very briefly and couldn't find an answer....

So I have a 2010 Lincoln MKS ecoboost.  It has the 2.77 gearing as opposed to the 3.16.  I guess that'd make it the same as the non-PP SHO option. 

Im tuned with Torrie's meth tune (increased boost, harder shifting, etc) and it seems to work "ok".  A few months ago I took it to the track and ran a 13.3 @ 102.  Seems rather slow in both the ET and the MPH...but it was my first time at the track EVER so Im sure some practice will definitely help that.

Anyway, my questions (sorry, I might start rambling lol):

1st gear and 2nd gear are awesome.  If I launch the car I get a little wheel spin in 1st and then get a chirp going into 2nd.  When I hit 3rd gear it starts to get interesting.  I either get a nice, long pull with no drama OR it starts to "studder" at around 4k RPM all the way up to redline.  At first I thought it was something to do with the spark plugs or the fuel cutting in and out or SOMETHING, but it happens sporadically.   Driving around town normally I rarely (maybe once a month) get a little "clunk" from a hard shift going from 1-2 or 2-3...which is worrisome, but since it happens so infrequently I pretty much write it off whenever it happens as a fluke or that the car's shift points are "learning" or something.

Could this be a sensor issue in the transmission?  Is there something else going on?  Car has 60k miles on it now.  I have not changed out the transmission fluid and to this point have only changed the oil regularly and swapped out the spark plugs about 8k miles ago (i think it was 8k miles ago)...and of course installed my mods.   

The meth kit seems to be working ok.  I have the basic kit that Torrie used to sell.  Its the simple "on / off" system.  I can't hear the pump engaging, but it is set to start meth injection at 7psi.  After a hard run or two I can pop the hood and definitely see that the meth tank (my washer reservoir) has gone down some, so I know it is working.  Based on Torrie's lack of concern over my logs I sent him I would assume it is working ok.

When I have logged the car (SCT Tuner) and sent the logs to Torrie, he doesn't see anything wrong.  I know SOMETHING is going on for the 3rd gear pull to be hesitating like it is.  I haven't datalogged the car in a few months...and I did a piss poor job labeling the log runs that I have to tell which are "normal" pulls and which exhibit the hesitation in 3rd gear...so when I look at them I really can't tell a difference. 

Is this something I should be worried about?  Is this "normal" for the cars with the 2.77 gearing?

Are there any "upgrades" for our transmissions yet?  I not running any more power than most tuned cars on this forum, but making the transmission and transfer case and whole AWD system more "bulletproof" would just give me more peace of mind.  I quickly glanced at Livernois and Torrie's websites but didn't see anything new. 

Has anyone performed a transmission swap?  Like just straight up swapped a non-PP transmission with a PP transmission?  I know there is probably a cheaper way to change the gearing rather than swapping the entire transmission, but I wasn't sure of the other differences besides that between the two.  Where would I source a PP transmission? 

Ok...enough rambling for now...haha.  ideas?

2010 MKS Ecoboost
Airaid intake, Water/Methanol Kit, 3-bar sensor, Tuned by Unleashed Tuning

SHOdded

When you replaced your spark plugs, which plugs did you use, and what gap did you set?  0.030 is the recommended gap, tho an experiment is underway with 0.032 gap.  I'd pull them again to check their condition, including the condition of the insulator (cracking).  You could have a failing injector causing imbalance in power generation.  Best time to check the plugs for this is right after you experience the problem.

Did you ever get the PCM updated?  If not, then returning to stock and having the programming updated at the dealer would be a good idea.  Then send the new strategy code to Torrie to update your tune.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

BiGMaC

I wonder if this is related to the "missed shift" going from 2-3 that some folks get?

dunno about the tranny sensors... have you scanned for DTCs?  ... Have you reviewed your logs for AFR and FRP being maintained?

One thing to research is whether the ECU has a different programming for the PP tranny as opposed to the non-PP.  This could be tricky if so... most tuners just get the stock tune from SCT that will work with a given car's strategy code... Just something to research.

I do noty believe there are any tranny upgrades or rebuild kits on the market yet.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

REDSHOCGO

Hello I had this issue as well at one point. Reflash to stock and retry your tests. Mine was tune related. Reverted back to older tune and data logged some more and the issue went away. Your afr could be off or may be over boosting most likely an updated tune will resolve this.
2010 Red Candy Sho 402a option non/pp w/unleashed tune,3 bar map, k & N CAI, Corsa catback exhaust, tints 35% front 20% back vta conversion,plastidipped front grill (matteblack), Curva Concept C7 wheels w/20" toyo proxes +4 and Sony Xperia z running torque pro
2011 Sonata 2.0T Limited tinted
2007 Pontiac G6 GTP cpe w/crab intake,Led sequential taillights, custom exhaust(now gone)

bpd1151

It is my understanding that there is no differentiation in transmissions between the "Non-PP" & the "PP" equipped SHO's.

Both employ the 6F55 transmissions.

IIRC, there was a recent thread, or post(s) regarding a company that is allegedly doing trans "upgrades" but I think there was some question regarding the 6F50 trans' found in the Non-SHO models, versus the 6F55's found in the SHO's trim levels specifically.

Other than that recent information, I am unaware of any vendor performing any type of drive train upgrades whatsoever at this time.

crash712us

I don't think your trans is slipping. If it was it would throw a code. But for being meth injected your ET's are not so good. I have non-op car and run 12.20's. So something isn't right there and have no idea what could cause this, as I am LMS tuned. I not certain what sort of times you should expect from your car with your set up. Based on what I've seen in the past you should be able to at the very least break into the 12's. As to the other issues you mentioned with your trans there are number of TSB's that address these issues. But as for now there are trans mods and uncertain as to putting PP trans into your car as the cars ECM would have to calibrated for.

2011 tuxedo black non pp, LMS stage 5, Corsa cat back, LMS down pipes, Airaid, Alky control meth injection, Megan Racing coil overs, EBC rotor&pads, Mobsteel grill, 2013 trans cooler. 403whp 417wtq 12.25 @ 110

curry67

does your engine light blink ever when this happens. I had the exact same thing on stock if i ever gave it wide open throttle it would feel like tranny was slipping but it was just the spark plugs. i had old sp528 or whatever the 2010 ones were. got some new ones for the 2013 year and it is no existent for a few months now. think stock gap is .035

Grimster

Well last night I swapped tunes to the original one that Torrie sent me after I installed the meth kit and the 3bar sensor.  I only did one pull and I didn't feel anything strange...no tranny slippage...no misfires...it felt really good.  That tune peaked at about 16 psi of boost (I didnt do a comparative pull with the tune with the issues...but I want to say that one peaks at 20-21psi) .  I only did one pull because I had to go pick up my wife and didn't have time to turn around and do another.  I'll do another one or two (and actually log them) after work today. 

So as of right now it appears that it is just a tune issue as mentioned above.  So far so good.....

-Andy

2010 MKS Ecoboost

SHOdded

So it is likely that the turbos are being pushed much harder with the tune that has issues (too aggressive?), which would make sense!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Grimster

Quote from: SHOdded on April 30, 2014, 10:08:35 AM
So it is likely that the turbos are being pushed much harder with the tune that has issues (too aggressive?), which would make sense!

Well since the current 16psi tune doesnt have the issues the 21psi tune has....Im leaning toward spark blowout?  I'm pretty sure I have them sitting at .030.  Maybe I need to gap them down to like .025 or something.  I'll be able to play with it a little on the road here in a bit....
2010 MKS Ecoboost

EcoPowerParts

Data log your throttle body actual percentage and try to replicate. You might be going just slightly lean and the ECU is closing the TB to protect.
It also could be spark blowout :)
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

Needmoreboost

2014 Mustang GT/CS: white
Auto with custom Unleashed Tuning
Past honorable mentions: 13 SHO, 08 SRT4, 07 350Z, 03 Cobra, 03 Focus SVT, 00 GT Mustang, 91 LX Notch, etc.

curry67

vinnievis

Have you checked the air filter?

For about a day I had a severe problem with the car above 4k rpm. Lms tuned and I thought maybe I had a boost leak, airflow, or spark plug blowout, or something possibly more serious.

I was waiting for nice weather to put in the k&n intake.  I decided it was a good time to pop the hood and check things out.  I pulled the stock air box and the factory air filter had been sucked into the intake hole going to the "saxophone".  The filter was intact but deformed and not flowing well needless to say.  I was shocked that the stock style filter would do that.  I could see that some of the pleats had doubled over on each other from the power of the suction and killed air flow.

Obviously that that KILLED performance at higher rpm. Now I have k&n and am loving the sound!

MDesign Performance

Quote from: 4DRHTRD on April 30, 2014, 06:24:18 PM
Data log your throttle body actual percentage and try to replicate. You might be going just slightly lean and the ECU is closing the TB to protect.
It also could be spark blowout :)

^^This. When the ECU see's over boost it closes the throttle body to protect the drivetrain from damage. Makes sense if you were spiking at 21PSI with one tune.
2011 MKS EcoBoost: MDesign Carbon Cold Air Intake; SP-534 Plugs; Power Stop C/S Rotors

sales@mdesignperformance.com
www.mdesignperformance.com
www.facebook.com/MDesignPerformance