• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Ughh these cheap leather seats

Started by Frozen Taurus, April 24, 2014, 05:39:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frozen Taurus

Looks like I am heading to the dealer AGAIN with cracking leather seats. I just had these replaced last year and the driver side outer edge is cracking again

2011 Tuxedo Black SHO non PP, K&N drop in, TCE Big Brake Kit, Megan Racing Coilovers
My other car is a 447 awhp Talon

panther427

2013 SHO

glock-coma

My is doing the same thing. It's not cracking, it's getting cut from the edge of the plastic.
It's extremely sharp.
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

pauly_gxp

Any luck with warranty on this sort of thing?  Just curious I guess. My drivers seat has the symptoms glock described.  Otherwise, any clue on the cost of a new seat cover?  Do I want to know lol...

Larrylu

I'll offer an opinion. The area that's cracking is vinyl. The leather seats are always a combo of leather and matching vinyl. Vinyl is usually placed where no body contact will occur. The sharp edge I don't think is cutting the vinyl I think it's from extreme repeated flexing. Every time you get in or out of the seat body weight bends and pinches the vinyl between leg/butt and hard plastic trim. Leather flexes better long term than vinyl so if they had leather in that spot, it would hold up better but the bean counters have to find places to save money so for as long as I've been involved with car trim (50 years), all manufacturers put matching vinyl in that spot....and it cracks. Mine is getting worse and I'm watching it. At some point it will bug me bad enough to yank out the seat, pull the upholstery off and put some new material in to replace the cracked. When I do you can bet I'll use leather. I'm dragging my feet cause it's such a PITA job and oh yeah I'm not as young as I used to be. LOL Bucket seat weighs a ton!

2010 Steel Blue Metallic, Fully Loaded, non PP, LMS 4+, K&N drop in, 170 T-stat, 3 bar MAP
2010 Loaded, Non PP, Steel Blue Metallic, Livernois Stage 4+, Blacked out grill, Nexus 7 Tablet running Torque Pro

bpd1151

Larry....... I was totally unaware of your position in the interior industry, and for as many years as you report! :bowdown:

Very cool! :ok:

IDK if you could offer any opinion on the following, however, having seen other owner's complaints (about the cracking "leather") just as the OP reports here..... I have been religious about routinely applying a leather conditioning product.

My choice thus far has been Meguiar's Leather Conditioner.

It has held up pretty well thus far, and it's advertised to replenish the moisture content molecularly within the "leather" itself, that ultimately not only protects the material, but also allows it remain moist/pliable/flexible, and thus in turn...... preventing the cracking issue so many others have experienced.

Based on my usage alone, and knowing I haven't had any issues to date, what are your thoughts on these types of products?

68_GT

I had the 1992 Fox body Mustang seats I bought for my 68 recoved completely custom for $400 total.

I did just drop off the seats but it should cost too much to get that small seciont replaced with something better if needed. Looks like it creasing from constant flexing there or possibly from something pushing out on it from the inside ???
2013 PP SHO LMS 93V10 tune, 170* T stat, 3bar, K&N drop in, plugs re-gapped, 4in exhaust tips.
UPDATE - 130K miles =blown engine. Unleashed tune and EBPP upgrade turbo billet wheels / Turbo Smart WGA's on a bran new long block. Let's get this SHO on the road !

2013 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB daily driver ;) - LMS 93 tune and CPE intercooler

donky4444

My drivers seat was like this when I bought the car. Ford covered it under warranty while I was under the factory 3-36. Now I am OCD about keeping it conditioned to prolong the life. I had been using Meg's but I switched to Adams leather conditioner this year.
2017 Lincoln MKZ 3.0tt with LMS tune

2014 SHO 402a PP 20" flower wheels. LME  tune, 3 bar MAP, LED Puddle Lights and LED DRL's from Drive Bright, tinted head and tail lights, gloss black vinyl wrapped all chrome with custom chrome SHO emblems front and rear. SOLD

2015 X Sport LME 3 bar tune, LED Puddle and plate lights

Frozen Taurus

I have been using Meguire's Gold Class leather cleaner and conditioner religiously too ... dried out vinyl is not the issue here and I am hardly a heavy weight at 240 lbs so I doubt I am crushing or pinching the sides that much.
2011 Tuxedo Black SHO non PP, K&N drop in, TCE Big Brake Kit, Megan Racing Coilovers
My other car is a 447 awhp Talon

SHODYOU

Mine did it too... replaced under warranty this past January.
Now im much more careful about putting weight on the edge of the seat.
And I also use Gold Class
2011 SHO - Tux Blk/blk int, 402B, acc, nav, multicontour, 20s. LMS 4X MyCal, 3bar MAP, K&N Typhoon, 170* t-stat, SP534's @ 30, Stainless Works catless DPs, Corsa catback, H&R sports, 5/16 front-7/16 rear spacer, 255/35 Hankook V12s, Lamin-X/PlastiDip

2004 Mustang GT - Comp Orange, Boss block/3.80 stroker 327", Foxlake TFS', Hellion turbo, blah blah

panther427

I have been using lexol products on all of my cars  I have had.  One Guy I read even used some hand conditioner that's in the blue round jars on his cars leather

http://www.lexol.com/
2013 SHO

BiGMaC

Quote from: panther427 on April 24, 2014, 10:17:28 PM
I have been using lexol products on all of my cars  I have had.  One Guy I read even used some hand conditioner that's in the blue round jars on his cars leather

http://www.lexol.com/

I love Lexol!  I have 30 year old saddles that look almost as good as new!  Never tried it on the car... feel a little dumb
:homer:

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

Larrylu

Quote from: bpd1151 on April 24, 2014, 08:11:36 PM
Larry....... I was totally unaware of your position in the interior industry, and for as many years as you report! :bowdown:

Very cool! :ok:

IDK if you could offer any opinion on the following, however, having seen other owner's complaints (about the cracking "leather") just as the OP reports here..... I have been religious about routinely applying a leather conditioning product.

My choice thus far has been Meguiar's Leather Conditioner.

It has held up pretty well thus far, and it's advertised to replenish the moisture content molecularly within the "leather" itself, that ultimately not only protects the material, but also allows it remain moist/pliable/flexible, and thus in turn...... preventing the cracking issue so many others have experienced.

Based on my usage alone, and knowing I haven't had any issues to date, what are your thoughts on these types of products?

Hey Mike I have been retired for long enough that some of my firmly held beliefs may now be turned upside down and not be worth diddly but since you are asking, here is what I used to preach. Look at the label on your product and if you see any kind of oil as an ingredient, get suspicious.  The OP's crack is in vinyl not leather. So is leather conditioner good for vinyl, and vice-versa?  Hard to believe one product is good for both. Vinyls are a petroleum product. As they age they give up there oils (plasticizers) and get more brittle. The old sales pitch of adding oils and emollients to replenish or slow down aging was I felt pretty reliably BS. My rule was that adding any oil...petroleum based, body oil, sun tan oil, mink oil, would speed plasticizer migration not slow it. Hence the finding that shining up the vinyl with ArmorAll ages not rejuvenates. On the other hand I do LOVE 303 which acts like sun glasses for your vinyl.
I installed a leather kit on my brother's new car. He loved that car and he put some Canadian leather preservative on it every week. Inside of one year the feel of the upholstery was on a par with aging 6 or 7 year old interior. I got Katzkin to give him a reduced price on a replacement and redid his car. His instructions per Katzkin for clean & maintenance was to damp wipe or sparingly use mild soap & water then buff dry. No emollients.

Maybe chemists have come up with some new great miracle product but until I know better I'm a doubting Thomas and I consider them snake oil.

My wife knows me well and she considers me a low credibility source ....so there you go. LOL

2010 Steel Blue Metallic, Fully Loaded, non PP, LMS 4+, K&N drop in, 170 T-stat, 3 bar MAP
2010 Loaded, Non PP, Steel Blue Metallic, Livernois Stage 4+, Blacked out grill, Nexus 7 Tablet running Torque Pro

BiGMaC

Irregardless of the ravages of time... 303 is my go to interior surface product... and for just the two reasons you site Larry... water-based... and SPF80 UV protection!

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

pauly_gxp

I would say Larry, although retired, would be spot on!  Excellent information.