• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Public service announcement

Started by glock-coma, April 22, 2014, 08:56:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donky4444

As a banker I can say that there is no better protection than checking your accounts on a very regular basis.  I just had fraud on my debit card and a credit card on the same day from the same place.  The charges were $8 and $13.  I copied the line item description and put it in Google and there were tons of complaints about it and they were all small amounts.  Most people were hit on multiple cards at once which drove me to check all of mine and that is how I found the other one.  You can never be too careful but you can't let it control your life.  Just keep on eye on things and report them right away.
2017 Lincoln MKZ 3.0tt with LMS tune

2014 SHO 402a PP 20" flower wheels. LME  tune, 3 bar MAP, LED Puddle Lights and LED DRL's from Drive Bright, tinted head and tail lights, gloss black vinyl wrapped all chrome with custom chrome SHO emblems front and rear. SOLD

2015 X Sport LME 3 bar tune, LED Puddle and plate lights

BiGMaC

Quote from: donky4444 on April 23, 2014, 10:30:19 AM
As a banker I can say that there is no better protection than checking your accounts on a very regular basis.  I just had fraud on my debit card and a credit card on the same day from the same place.  The charges were $8 and $13.  I copied the line item description and put it in Google and there were tons of complaints about it and they were all small amounts.  Most people were hit on multiple cards at once which drove me to check all of mine and that is how I found the other one.  You can never be too careful but you can't let it control your life.  Just keep on eye on things and report them right away.

Right On!   I take a quick look at my accounts every evening.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

BlueSHO

Probably what scares me the most is my paypal as it's tied to my banking account. I do have the key pass on it but still. It's one thing when your charge card is hacked because you have recource but once the money is pulled out of your banking account it's a whole other story..

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

2016 SHO Blue Jeans
2001 Lightning
1996 Mystic Cobra

glock-coma

Quote from: JeffsSport on April 23, 2014, 12:04:13 PM
Probably what scares me the most is my paypal as it's tied to my banking account. I do have the key pass on it but still. It's one thing when your charge card is hacked because you have recource but once the money is pulled out of your banking account it's a whole other story..

I stopped using my bank account for paypal years ago.
I would rather pay a small fee than get hacked and be in a world of hurt.
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

TSS

Maybe re-do that Jeff? Paypal scares me the most so I linked it to a card for that reason.   Just dispute the claim(s) with your credit card company as soon as you see them or get the statement. Game over, no penalties to you.
2010 Steel Blue Metallic MKS Ecoboost: LME 3-Bar Tuned; tint; 20" Factory rims Permachromed

2017 Summit White Buick Envision Premium AWD 2.0 Turbo
2017 Silver Cadillac XTS V-Sport Platinum  3.6 Twin Turbo; LME tuned.

BlueSHO

Quote from: TSS on April 23, 2014, 12:45:50 PM
Maybe re-do that Jeff? Paypal scares me the most so I linked it to a card for that reason.   Just dispute the claim(s) with your credit card company as soon as you see them or get the statement. Game over, no penalties to you.
I think I will..

2016 SHO Blue Jeans
2001 Lightning
1996 Mystic Cobra

BiGMaC

I used a compromise... Set PayPal to use Bill Me Later as the payment source... so...same recourse as CCs

Then I linked regular Paypal to my debit card (which it accepted as a CC)..... same recourse as CC, but never used for transactions... just gets tapped when I pay Bill Me Later through Paypal.

This keeps my bank account 3rd down in line and I get an email if anyone tries to change my preferences telling me to call if I didn't (in which event I'm protected)... so they watch it for me.

I never respond to payment requests via email or other media... if I didn't navigate to a site and set-up a payment it doesn't happen.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI

Concours.John

Always open a separate different bank account at a different bank for your Paypal. Almost all banks will link accounts that have online access. Once one is compromised all are. I use a separate bank for PayPal from my business and personal.

BiGMaC

Quote from: Concours.John on April 23, 2014, 07:46:55 PM
Always open a separate different bank account at a different bank for your Paypal. Almost all banks will link accounts that have online access. Once one is compromised all are. I use a separate bank for PayPal from my business and personal.

True!... and a good point!

I forgot to mention that this is my "play money" account and not the household checking... in fact it's at a different bank all together since accounts get linked with overdraft protection, etc. when at the same bank.

IHeartGroceries

Quote from: Concours.John on April 23, 2014, 07:46:55 PM

This is a good idea. I'm going to have to do this. I really don't protect myself well enough from the ***holes of the world.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

2013 SHO PP

scap99

I've been using life lock since we got robbed several years back, and the thugs got my wife's wallet.
It's not an end all be all, but it does add an extra layer of protection.

Sent via BC-654